1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is Someone Sawing Down a Tree Under My '09?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by jimolson, Jun 1, 2016.

1. jimolson

jimolson Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Yes, this is another posting about peculiar under-hood noises. Sorry.

I think my 2009 Prius has occasionally made what I call "the sawing sound" since I purchased it new. (It now has 134k miles on it.)

For you young pups who think all saws have round spinning blades, I hail from a bygone era where trees were felled by hand using a two-man crosscut saw.

My Prius now emits this hand sawing sound continuously. It's no longer an intermittent thing.

Is this sound the that posters often refer to as the Barking Seal Noise? If not, what is it? Does the fact that the sound is now continuous while the vehicle is running mean that brake failure is pending?

I just received my first notice from Toyota about warranty extension for brake pump problems. Does this warranty extension pertain to my sawing noise?

Jim in Indianapolis

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    do you have a check engine light on? Maybe it's the sound when the 3 way valve fails.

3. jimolson

jimolson Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    nope, no CEL. Just the noise.

4. andrewclaus

andrewclaus Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I'm guessing 3-way valve, too. Mine made noise for a few years before throwing the code. The valve lives under the inverter in front of the left front fender. You can use a length of heater hose as a cheap stethoscope.