1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is stale gas a problem?

Discussion in 'Prime Plug-in Charging' started by Dan Martin, Aug 12, 2019.

1. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Since when did referenced corrections to your various errors become labeled as "spiteful and unnecessary rants"?

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    C'mon guys... I don't wanna have to hand out warnings again.

3. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    When does it escalate past warnings:whistle:?

One less Dutch Uncle isn’t a bad thing(y).

Prius from Dad likes this.
  4. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I agree with the acceleration part. The thing I'm currently thinking about when driving in EV is how the Pime regens. You might think that the regen is a static thing and what I'm learning is that regen is very dynamic and dialed in at the factory) Making regen different in many ways with very little change to any one driving scenario. Example: you dirive down a grade and at 30 mph (cruise set or holding the go pedal as steady as you can ) and check the gauges/screens for regen for that grade. Than drive the same hill at 45 mph (holding steady or in cruise) and check the regen and see if you notice any difference, There are other factors involved as well besides only the grade and different grades will show different results at different speeds. Another thing to take into account is if the gauge/screen you use only shows regen for 1 mile and the grade is only 1/10th of a mile - than what road conditions were previous to the grade and/or the conditions of the road after the grade.Than expand that test to other grades and speeds,
    Sometimes a driver will notice some difference and some other drivers will not see any. Like you said above, each driver has a specific set of unique circumstances in driving style, traffic restraints and any changes from stock recommendations that might have been made to the car not to mention the regional weather issues that are hard for those of us who aren't familiar with them to understand..

5. waldox

waldox Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Base

most gas has 10% ethanol and it is very corrosive, try to cycle out your gas every month if you dont want engine problems.

6. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    The video looks good. I watched it to the point where he says something like "stale fuel can be a problem if the fuel is A YEAR OLD OR MORE."

YOUR comment, however, is just BS.
    Ethanol in fuel is NOT corrosive to the parts in the fuel system which are made of materials designed to work with it.
    Cycling out your fuel every month is NOT necessary.
    The owners manual tells you about this.

7. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Especially since it’s designed to accept E10 fuel (newer ones up to E15) and fuel regularly lasts a month or more because the (regular) Prius is so efficient.

fuzzy1 and vvillovv like this.
  8. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't get the part about it being corrosive to fuel pumps and lines and components only when the fluid sits stationary for extended periods, but not when it is flows periodically. It isn't like that changes the amount of time or degree to which the materials in question are in contact with that supposedly corrosive fluid.

jerrymildred likes this.