1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is Sugar Toxic?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by zenMachine, Apr 19, 2011.

1. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Honey is mostly sugar. Glucose is all sugar. So is fructose and lactose. The term "sugar" refers to an entire class of of sweet crystalline carbohydrates, not just to highly refined sucrose. Without glucose, human life is impossible; it is a gross overreach to state that sugar is toxic.

I believe what you intend to assert is that highly refined sucrose is bad for people. This notion has largely been dispelled by numerous studies. The studies have shown that in the human body sugars and starches break down into glucose at largely the same rates. Processed sugar and refined carbohydrates do not spike blood glucose levels faster than honey or other unprocessed carbohydrates, given the same caloric intake.

The problem is not the sugar itself, but the ability to easily consume large quantities of calories. Processed foods can be incredibly dense when it comes to calories. Adding to the problem is that these refined carbohydrate calories are mostly devoid of other nutrients. People end up subsisting on "filler" calories, instead of ones containing useful nutrients. Likewise these processed foods often contain high levels of sodium and fat.

The problem isn't sugar. The problem is one of excess calories, insufficient nutrients, too much salt, and too much fat.

Tom

1 person likes this.
  2. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    And not enough exercise.

1 person likes this.
  3. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  4. Trebuchet

Trebuchet Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Oops, my BAD my quick read of "Have a glass of sugar-free aspartame-free zero-calorie diet . . ." automatically inserted soda where as the next word was "water" can we :hug: and make up? Besides water, good lord man do you know what fish do in water!?!? :fear:

5. zenMachine

zenMachine Just another Onionhead

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Wow, that's more than what I wanted to know about sugar, actually...

6. Corwyn

Corwyn Energy Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I think you will find that you get pretty addicted to water too. Seems I can't go a day without drinking some. ;)

7. zenMachine

zenMachine Just another Onionhead

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    ... Refined sugar (that is, sucrose) is made up of a molecule of the carbohydrate glucose, bonded to a molecule of the carbohydrate fructose — a 50-50 mixture of the two. The fructose, which is almost twice as sweet as glucose, is what distinguishes sugar from other carbohydrate-rich foods like bread or potatoes that break down upon digestion to glucose alone. The more fructose in a substance, the sweeter it will be. High-fructose corn syrup, as it is most commonly consumed, is 55 percent fructose, and the remaining 45 percent is nearly all glucose. It was first marketed in the late 1970s and was created to be indistinguishable from refined sugar when used in soft drinks. Because each of these sugars ends up as glucose and fructose in our guts, our bodies react the same way to both, and the physiological effects are identical. In a 2010 review of the relevant science, Luc Tappy, a researcher at the University of Lausanne in Switzerland who is considered by biochemists who study fructose to be the world’s foremost authority on the subject, said there was “not the single hint†that H.F.C.S. was more deleterious than other sources of sugar...

... The fructose component of sugar and H.F.C.S. is metabolized primarily by the liver, while the glucose from sugar and starches is metabolized by every cell in the body. Consuming sugar (fructose and glucose) means more work for the liver than if you consumed the same number of calories of starch (glucose). And if you take that sugar in liquid form — soda or fruit juices — the fructose and glucose will hit the liver more quickly than if you consume them, say, in an apple (or several apples, to get what researchers would call the equivalent dose of sugar). The speed with which the liver has to do its work will also affect how it metabolizes the fructose and glucose.

When Glinsmann and his F.D.A. co-authors decided no conclusive evidence demonstrated harm at the levels of sugar then being consumed, they estimated those levels at 40 pounds per person per year beyond what we might get naturally in fruits and vegetables — 40 pounds per person per year of “added sugars†as nutritionists now call them. This is 200 calories per day of sugar, which is less than the amount in a can and a half of Coca-Cola or two cups of apple juice. If that’s indeed all we consume, most nutritionists today would be delighted, including Lustig.

But 40 pounds per year happened to be 35 pounds less than what Department of Agriculture analysts said we were consuming at the time — 75 pounds per person per year — and the U.S.D.A. estimates are typically considered to be the most reliable. By the early 2000s, according to the U.S.D.A., we had increased our consumption to more than 90 pounds per person per year.

... It wasn’t so much that researchers learned anything particularly new about the effects of sugar or high-fructose corn syrup in the human body. Rather the context of the science changed: physicians and medical authorities came to accept the idea that a condition known as metabolic syndrome is a major, if not the major, risk factor for heart disease and diabetes. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention now estimate that some 75 million Americans have metabolic syndrome. For those who have heart attacks, metabolic syndrome will very likely be the reason.

Having metabolic syndrome is another way of saying that the cells in your body are actively ignoring the action of the hormone insulin — a condition known technically as being insulin-resistant. Because insulin resistance and metabolic syndrome still get remarkably little attention in the press (certainly compared with cholesterol), let me explain the basics.

You secrete insulin in response to the foods you eat — particularly the carbohydrates — to keep blood sugar in control after a meal. When your cells are resistant to insulin, your body (your pancreas, to be precise) responds to rising blood sugar by pumping out more and more insulin. Eventually the pancreas can no longer keep up with the demand or it gives in to what diabetologists call “pancreatic exhaustion.†Now your blood sugar will rise out of control, and you’ve got diabetes.

As it happens, metabolic syndrome and insulin resistance are the reasons that many of the researchers today studying fructose became interested in the subject to begin with. If you want to cause insulin resistance in laboratory rats, says Gerald Reaven, the Stanford University diabetologist who did much of the pioneering work on the subject, feeding them diets that are mostly fructose is an easy way to do it. It’s a “very obvious, very dramatic†effect, Reaven says.

By the early 2000s, researchers studying fructose metabolism had established certain findings unambiguously and had well-established biochemical explanations for what was happening. Feed animals enough pure fructose or enough sugar, and their livers convert the fructose into fat — the saturated fatty acid, palmitate, to be precise, that supposedly gives us heart disease when we eat it, by raising LDL cholesterol. The fat accumulates in the liver, and insulin resistance and metabolic syndrome follow...

1 person likes this.
  8. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't think we need to look at metabolic pathways to see the cause here. If sugar consumption increased by 15lbs/year, and we did not stop eating other stuff, that is enough to pack on 8lbs of fat a year.

If we look at glycemic load and activity level instead of sugar we may get a better understanding of what is going on. An apple and apple juice have the same make up in sugar. But you can drink much more apple juice when it is removed from the fiber than in the form of an apple. This net quantity and how it hits your system is the important measure. Eating the apple and the fiber affect our hunger. Now fructose hits our blood slower than glucose so it has a lower glycemic index, but this is starved out if you consume more of it.

Now lets look at pathways. If the glycemic load is low enough and activity level is high enough the fructose will be converted to glycocgen in the liver and this will be used to maintain blood sugar. When the system is overwhelmed with large amounts of sugar and not enough activity glycogen will be maxed out, and fat will be created. Do this over long periods of time and the fat will build up in the liver and not be used for energy. Long distance athletes train to get the liver and muscles to be able to hold more glycogen, and the supplements we take on our runs often have fructose in them.

Psychologically some believe sweet taste increases appetite and this is being studied. This may explain why even artificial sweeteners lead to weight gain.

Get the glycemic load right and sugar is not toxic. Eat too much, don't exercise, and you are more prone to disease. Saturated fat, highly processed foods, sweeters should be used in moderation.

9. qbee42

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Maybe I shouldn't have just eaten those two bowls of tapioca pudding and six Oreo Double-Stuff cookies...

Tom

10. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    And here I was, needlessly concerned over the dark brown sugar I put in my coffee. OK, so it's two or three spoonsfull a day, but I think it's probably the only refined sugar I eat.

Except for chocolate. :)

11. qbee42

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I have to have chocolate. It is essential for life, especially the 60% stuff.

Tom

12. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Absolutely. :)

I like the 70% stuff. Apparently there's 85 and 90, too, which I will try as soon as I find some. Once you've tried dark, you'll never go back. :p

13. Rae Vynn

Rae Vynn Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I just got some Theo chocolate, 75% dark, dairy-free..

YUMMY!!! :p

14. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    A good bike ride is a 25+ mile loop swinging past the Theo chocolate factory (formerly the original Redhook brewery) for samples and a few new bars.

For a really good ride, swing by the new Redhook brewery too, for lunch.

1 person likes this.
  15. qbee42

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Me too, but I always have the 60% stuff on hand. I buy it in chips for cooking, but end up eating most of it by small handfuls. The really dark stuff is good with red wine.

Tom

16. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The chocolate is good for you. It's the sugar that they add to it that's bad...:p