1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is the 12v going? Need a 2nd opinion

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by BlueOfLA, Aug 29, 2018.

Tags:
  1. BlueOfLA

BlueOfLA Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi Prius Chat,

Yesterday I was on my way to work and when I came to my first stop sign I got the Red triangle + all the other warning lights. I pulled over, and tried to plug in the OBD2 scanner - Nothing. So I turned the car off and turned it back on, still had all the warning lights, rescanned with the OBD2 - Still Nothing. I tried to start the car but it would not enter READY state and would only go into neutral or park. I popped up the Vehicle Signal Check on the MFD to see the voltage of the battery (ignition on, not READY): 11.5V

So next I unplugged the 12V battery, waited a minute, then plugged it back in. This time the car started back up, no warnings, and the Vehicle Signal Check displayed 13.9V. I drove all the way to work (9 miles, but it's LA so it took an hour or so) and the lowest the battery went was 13.3V for maybe a good 50-75% of the time. I drove home after work with no issues.

Then today I was on my way to work, and as I approached my 2nd stop sign I got the warnings again. I pulled over, turned the car off, it wouldn't enter READY again, so I tried the same trick, the warnings turned off and I was on my way. But a minute or so later the warnings came back so I drove home to take the day off. When I got home I had a look at the Vehicle Signal Check again (ignition on, not READY) and I was sitting at 11.9V
    The whole time no codes on the OBD2.

My suspect is the 12V battery, but I don't know much about batteries or their expected voltage to know any better. What do you guys think?

Attached Files:

2. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    yep... seems like 12v... Your voltage from it is low enough to cause all those symptoms...

3. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    11.9 when not "ready" is not good. It's possible that you have a loose main battery connection too.

The higher readings you got were from the charging system which keeps the battery charged.......and means nothing about the battery itself.

4. BlueOfLA

BlueOfLA Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Great thanks for the replies! ;) (more relieved now that it doesn't seem like something too serious)

When you say loose main battery connection, which one is the main battery: 12v or HV? I'll check all the connections and pick up a new 12v

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    how many miles on her?

once you've eliminated the 12v, check the inverter pump and have the codes read by someone with tech stream.

ITBland likes this.
  6. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Check the 12 volt battery directly, when the car's off, with a digital volt meter. Think I'm going to make this my signature.

7. BlueOfLA

BlueOfLA Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    234,800 miles on the car, unknown on the battery. I bought it a year and a half ago.
    I've got techstream, is it possible to have an inverter pump code that isn't displayed with a Check Engine Light?

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    yeah, the whole 12v check process should be a sticky in every generation.

kenoarto and Mendel Leisk like this.
  9. BlueOfLA

BlueOfLA Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    ACC on:
    Multimeter: 12.13V
    MFD: 11.4V/11.6V

IGN on (Not READY):
    Multimeter: 11.98V
    MFD: 11V

READY:
    Multimeter: 13.25V
    MFD: 13.9V

Guess that proves one thing.. Never trust the MFD, (or my made in china generic multimeter)

ydpplqbd likes this.
  10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    the problem is, the car has to be using some electricity to give you a reading.

check your voltmeter in the morning before touching the car. it sounds bad to me.

kenoarto, ITBland and Mendel Leisk like this.
  11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    probably not. get the 12v taken care of, and then see what happens.

12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    sam means the 12v at both posts, plus the negative ground to body connection.

13. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Inverter pump code on my 07 Prius was easily read at auto parts store when I was on a road trip once... So I doubt that code is gonna be hiding somewhere.

14. padroo

padroo Senior Member

Chesterton, Indiana Another third world country.
    Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Low battery voltage makes computers do strange things. Take it to the auto parts store and have the 12 V battery tested.

The 12 V. battery is always a good starting point on a Prius.

15. BlueOfLA

BlueOfLA Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Oh right, I forgot they have battery testers
    Thank you all for the tips! (y)

16. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    You can totally trust the MFD, to be a good solid fraction of a volt different from a reading at the battery.

There is no mystery to it. The MFD is reading you the voltage at the MFD. There are wires, junctions, and fuses on the path in between, and they all have resistance, meaning they all drop some voltage when current is flowing across them.

You can see that in ACC, the reading at the MFD is somewhere around 0.6 V lower than at the battery, and when you switch to ON, the difference is closer to a full volt. More current is flowing in ON than in ACC.

You can also see the effect reverse when you go to READY. Now the current is flowing from the converter, at the front of the car, to the battery. The MFD is now about 0.6 V upstream. :)

By the way, your readings are darn close to what I would get if I went out to my car right now and took them, and I am feeling zero concern about the condition of my 12 volt battery. I won't change the opinions of those who are sure the difference between 12.72 and 11.98 volts will make all the car's computers sing "Daisy, Daisy", but I'm not of that opinion myself.

-Chap

WilDavis likes this.
  17. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    ^^^ I'm in total agreement with Chap.

I find it immensely amusing that we're are at post #16 and only discussed is the 12 V battery. Not surprising that this is not the issue.

There is so much FOD with the 12 V battery. It is not rocket science to test and decide whether the battery is good or not. It shouldn't take 4 people 16 posts to say not much.

What I'm wondering, is what OBDII scanner you are using that turns up no codes when you have lights that indicate there are diagnostic trouble codes stored and symptoms there is something not right with the car?

#17 dolj, Aug 30, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2018
  18. sam spade 2

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Sorry, bad wording.

Check the main (fat) cables going to the 12 V battery; BOTH ends of both cables.
    And that means, disconnect, clean and re-attach. Looking and tugging doesn't count.
    Disconnect the negative cable at the battery first and LEAVE it off until the other ones are done and then reconnect it.

Unless your battery is over 5 years old, you might want to complete the above BEFORE you buy a new battery.

19. sam spade 2

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    You are welcome to your opinion but the fact IS that 11.98 with a light load indicates that the battery is HALF DISCHARGED and experience tells us that a Prius might not "like" anything below 12. When it goes "ready" it probably is lower than that.......but it's hard to get that measurement because the inverter kicks in and you see the charging voltage.

PriusCamper likes this.
  20. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Actually it is more like urban legend. My real observations on a Gen 2 Prius is that it is not really bothered until significantly lower than 12 V. Sure the battery needs to charged at that level, but then that is a different subject.
    It is actually not that difficult, you just need to attach a voltmeter and observe it while starting the car. If more people actually captured real live data, rather that endlessly parroting what they read on the internet, then perhaps some of these battery myths would die.

But oh well, another post that does not help the OP. What are we up to now? Post #20?