1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is the 12v going? Need a 2nd opinion

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by BlueOfLA, Aug 29, 2018.

Tags:
  1. kens97uber171

kens97uber171 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    My car rarely sits.. I put almost 1,000 miles a week on it. And I sit most weekends after Driving 300 miles, in Camping mode... Car in Ready. HVAC set to 74F fans set to high... And an 180watt inverter hooked directly to the 12V battery thru good cables. . that powered a CPAP machine.. that does not draw much.. barely makes the inverter warm .
    Cars Burns aprox 1 gallon of gas. Over 12hrs. Of sitting.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I thought this poster had 613 (see #76). There's another recent thread going on where somebody has 612. :)

@BlueOfLA, you're sure about the 613, right? I did not see the freeze frame among the screenshots you attached.

-Chap

3. BlueOfLA

BlueOfLA Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    613 - Unfortunately I wasn't lucky enough to get 612 instead

Attached Files:

4. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Now I guess the question is whether to hope the megger finds the problem in the tranny (because you've got one) or the inverter (because it goes in from the top with less work).

-Chap

5. BlueOfLA

BlueOfLA Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That would be nice Chap. It's a shame I sold the extra inverter I had from a parts car.

---

Does anyone know about removing the engine + trans as one out the bottom? I found this wonderful guide on the forum about removing the transaxle, but not with the engine.

https://attachments.priuschat.com/attachment-files/2018/08/151208_Prius_2nd_Gen_-_Transmission_Removal.pdf

My questions are:
    • When removing both the engine + trans together, does the K-Frame need to be removed too (as in the guide)?
    • How's about the exhaust manifold, must it be completely removed or just unbolted from the Catalytic Converter? I found this article on Art's Automotive for the 1st gen prius which depicts the engine and trans coming out the bottom with the exhaust manifold attached to the engine
    Replacing Our Second First Generation Prius Transaxle – Art's Automotive

---

Perhaps I need to start a new thread as I'm going way off the topic of a 12v battery change

---