1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is the 2010 NOT ready for prime time?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by marcusa, Jun 2, 2009.

1. a priori

a priori Canonus Curiosus

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Do you really want to listen to anything I say? Do you really want to engage in a dialogue? It appears to me the answer is no, or you would have responded to any one of my multiple questions about your issues with the 2010 Prius. Instead, you've taken my attempts to help you by giving you correct info and by pointing out the faults in information given to you elsewhere, and you've just called me names.

Is this really how you'd like to contribute to PriusChat?

If you'd simply like the opportunity to take pot-shots at someone, go over to Fred's.

1 person likes this.
  2. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Well, I think you will understand once you own a Prius. I only see the ownership satisfication from that man.

If I have the new Prius, I would be that much in love too. Wait, I am still in love with my 06 Prius!

3. Indyking

Indyking Happy Hyundai owner...

I don't know... Indy, Chicago, Madison (WI)... it
    Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    :peace:I actually read everything you wrote; I just did not have time to address it all. You did add some important information to me like so many others in this chat. All I'm saying is that people, being or not a Prius fan, is also interested in knowing what gaps and potential problems the car has. No car is perfect, and I think with your knowledge you could do a lot more than just reinforcing the good things and disagreeing with the bad things about the car like you have been doing... :peace:

4. Indyking

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It may well be the case. I have never owned a Hybrid before. First one I drove was a Insight, and I thought, I can't get hybrids because I don't feel safe on them.

Them I drove the Prius and figure that it can deliver enough performance for me to feel safe. That does not mean; however, that I have to come here and say that the car performance rocks, because it just don't. It's all relative to what you have been driving in past years...

As you know I have this thing with the Jetta TDI because it does perform a lot better than the Prius, but at the same time, I'm happy to say here or in the TDI forum that I like the Prius better because I'm skeptical about TDI’s reliability. I think this kind open unbiased discussion is a lot more helpful… :rockon:

5. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I agree and there are threads about what we don't like about the Iconic Prius (04-09). It has every little nit-pick reasons. If you want to know about the 2010 model, perhaps you can start a new thread.

What is your definition of performance? Can you clarify your preference? I am surprise the gap is "a lot". Both cars have similar weight and peak HP. They both have high torque powertrains. One is accelerates than the other giving the illusion of "slow". Prius is offered with 15" and 17" wheels and I would think the 17" version will handle better than the Jetta with 16". It is just a wild guess because suspension and other things come in play.

6. a priori

a priori Canonus Curiosus

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Fine. Then knock off the personal attacks and participate.

I'm not going to take the time to list all of my posts addressing the plusses and minuses of the 2010 Prius (or the Gen2). You are free to read through every post I've ever written and see for yourself what I've liked and disliked. Go to my member page and click on "Statistics." You'll find a link to all of my posts, and you can read anything you'd like.

Is there some reason I should spend time making up more things not to like about the Prius? Is it so hard to believe the car fits my interests so well?

The reality of it is this: You can't have it both ways in a car. If you want sporty performance with quick acceleration, and you'd like to drive hard through corners and at high speeds on highways, then you will not find a car to do that AND give you great fuel economy. Either the Jetta TDI or the 2010 Prius will give you great highway mileage, but if you are looking for real, all-the-time high fuel economy, you'll have to alter the way you drive. If you buy the Jetta TDI for the fun and excitement, but you drive it to maximize fuel economy, you've done yourself no service, because you'll just complain it isn't fun to drive anymore.

Go find a dealership that has a Prius V on the lot and available for a test drive. Run it through its paces according to the way you'd like to enjoy driving a car. Put it in Power Mode, too. If it isn't zippy enough for you, or if it doesn't get up to speed fast enough, or if it doesn't hold corners the way you'd like, then that will never change, no matter how high the fuel economy. There's no reason to fight it at that point, because you'll have found out it isn't the right car for you.

7. Indyking

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi usbseawolf2000, the quote above from a priori is a good and summarized description of how I define performance... but it's not only that. I can't remember if you have driven the TDI, but both of you should, just to understand better how they compare in terms of performance/handling or just for the heck of it. I'm not sure how to describe it but it does have a very solid and sporty feel that I enjoy so much... Some people describe some of these feelings in the reviews bellow. Note the scores specific for TDI is 9.4+.

http://www.edmunds.com/volkswagen/jetta/2009/consumerreview.html

VW has completely ruined the marketing campaign for the TDI in my opinion. They should focus mainly on the impressive handling and sporty performance and look of the new Jetta TDI, second emphasize the tax credit, and then, as bonus how about a MPG comparable with the new Prius in the HWY?

8. Indyking

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Very good points! The fact of the matter is my priority is maximized fuel efficiency in my new commute needs. That, along with reliability issues, were the basis which I selected the Prius in the expense of performance (of course considering my standards of performance). I realize I will have to change my driving habits, but if I ever feel performance-deprived, I can always get my 241 HP V6 Odyssey that handles like a car and hit the road not realizing I’m at 90MPH… :dance:

9. Blauer Glimmer

Blauer Glimmer Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    :rofl:Tearin' up the highway in a high performance minivan! Get outa my way, soccer moms!

10. Indyking

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Right! :)

11. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Don't you include reliability in the performance assessment? Are you being selective in the data you are using to assess performance? We Prius fans don't need to point out any faults in Prius, there are ample trolls to do that.

12. Indyking

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't usually think of reliability when evaluating performance... 2 distinct things in my opinion.

13. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Pat has a point. There are many kinds of performance:

- Acceleration Performance
    - Braking Performance
    - Handling Performance
    - Reliability Performance
    - Maintenance Performance
    - Emission Performance
    - Resale Value Performance
    - Ownership Satisfication Performance

Anything I left out?

14. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Right . . . that's what some said about the 2010 . . . and to those that did . . . how does that crow taste?

:p

15. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    - Marital Performance (She who must be obeyed)

Bob Wilson

2 people like this.
  16. DeanFL

DeanFL 2010 owner - 1st Prius

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Yep - how about MPG performance? Kind of key around here...

1 person likes this.
  17. Indyking

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    When magazines and car websites review a car, performance always means torque, torque, acceleration, etc... So what's the point of arguing the mean of performance here.. Come on folks... Go to usnews car rankings and read about performance there...

18. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Good additions. Fuel Efficiency Performance crossed my mind and I thought I typed it. 2010 Prius would score very well in all those performance catagories, therefore it is more than ready for prime time.

Car magazines review cars like "one night stand". They drive it hard, boom, bang and done. They write about "sex" appeals, how this feels, how that handles with some spec numbers and then sums it up.

Owning a car is much more than driving "like you stole it". That's why we have long-term reviews and reliability survey. I think the real owner's experience on the real-world road under real-world traffic are the most valuable information.

19. Indyking

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Ok kids, so everytime I say performance I'm talking about the engine performance, OK! so I mean power, torque, acceleration, strenght, speed, etc.... So, I don't even remember what the original discussion about performance was because all the foofoo brought around its mean... Jeeeezzz....

20. royrose

royrose Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    You are 100% right on this. The common usage of auto performance pertains to driving characteristics that contribute to spirited/pleasurable driving.

There are many other important attributes that a car may have but they are not part of "performance".

Roy