1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is the 2012 base radio........

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Raleighwood, Sep 9, 2012.

1. Raleighwood

Raleighwood Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Is the 2012 base radio the same radio that was in the 2011 and 2010 model? I don't really know where to find out other than going to the parts department in the dealership. I'd like to avoid that as I don't want to order one, I just want to know if it's the same base radio in all three model years.

I'm working on something and need to know if they are the same or different. I have looked online for days and struck out. I can't seem to get google to give me actual part numbers, all I can get is ads and such for the wrong thing. OEM part numbers for an axel is a piece of cake to find, oem numbers for a radio doesnt seem to exist online...

Any ideas here?

2. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Call the parts department at your dealership or drop by. The ones at my dealer are really good guys and do not mind looking up a part number if they are not busy. Just let them know up front that you are only looking for part numbers.

3. mrstop

mrstop PWR Mode

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The 2012 radio will be different as yours has a screen whereas the 2010 and 2011's did not. Is there a reason why you ask?

4. Raleighwood

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I am developing a product I hope to bring to the market in the next few weeks for the 2012 base radio. I believe it will fit the nav radio as well, but I don't have that radio in my p2. The prototype is working fantastically if I do say so myself. I will also attempt to bring it to the Prius shop here too when ready. Once I have it, I will visit my local dealer and test it to see what other radios it will fit. Toyota, like many other manufacturers use the same parts in multiple cars - a lug nut is a lug nut right? At least in theory anyway. Commonality among some parts is a key cost saving issue. My goal is to make it a dealer installed option for new cars. That's my goal anyway -aim high right? ;-)

Sorry I can't be more specific at this time. I'm new here and I'm sure the admins don't want this forum to turn into a forum of ads. When it's available, I'll try and get it into the product shop here. I prefer to go by the terms of usage, even if I don't know them word for word. If they let me, I will put an off site link to it if it's not put into the product shop here. If I can't do so, anyone can ask me by private message.

It is an appearance and function item, not a sound item. It won't make the radio sound any better, but you will like what it does and how it looks and it won't cost a small fortune either and is end user installed.

5. mrstop

mrstop PWR Mode

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I would look at some of the install threads to understand the differences (check the two sticky posts). From what I have seen, they all mount the same and appear to take up the same space in the dash. The difference are the controls and size of screen.

6. Raleighwood

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks for the imput. I had a feeling that it was a new model radio. They just don't make it easy to find out. I guess I'm stuck with going to the dealer parts department and asking them. This is my first toyota in 25 years, maybe that old crabby parts guy retired! I had heard that several Toyota models outside the Prius family also used the same base radio.