1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is the Advance Technology Package worth the extra $4.5k?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Momster10, Nov 25, 2009.

1. Momster10

Momster10 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    In reading the forum, it seems most people like the radar cruise control and the pre-collision system; have mixed feelings about the lane keep assist and think the parking assist is too slow. If you've bought the V with the technology package, do you think it's worth it?

2. chrisj428

chrisj428 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Had the ATP been available when I purchased my car, I would have opted for it. Unfortunately, the timing was such that I could not wait for it.

3. Radiant

Radiant New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I did not buy it. Personally, I like a good, fuel efficent, dependable car. I tend to not want extras that cost money as I look at a car as a drain, not an investment.
    Personally, I would rather be investing my money in things that increase in value. I will admit the argument that the ATP increases the value of the car and it devalues slowly is a good one.
    More to the point, this is probably a choice over what you would like to have more than anything.

4. LeadingEdgeBoomer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    It's an individual decision. I got a V with ATP because I buy a car so infrequently (about 10 years, always a new one). Savings accrued over 10 years for the next car earns interest, instead of me paying interest on a car loan.

I'm always pleased at how technology has evolved during that time, so I go for the goodies. Radar cruise control is an especially great feature, and lane keep assist is useful. I hope never to experience pre-collision detection, but it's good that it is there. Like most people, I've not tried the parking assist, still seems like a gimmick from Lexus to differentiate from Honda Insight (back when the decision was made, that was a real concern).

Some ATP features will be standard equipment by next time, so there may be something to the notion that when I sell the 2010, it will be less obsolete.

But as always, whatever floats your boat.

1 person likes this.
  5. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I knew I'd get more use out of the Solar Roof package, so that's why I went for it over the AT pkg.

6. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I have not been sorry I got the AT package once since purchasing the vehicle. I use the DRCC and LKA on every weekend road trip I take. Living in NYC the SR really would have only gotten use a third of the year, whereas for me the AT package is used 12 months a year...

7. Blind Guy

Blind Guy New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    You have aimed this question specifically at 2010 V owners with the AT package, and, after spending $4500 for that option, I have serius doubt that those buyers are going to admitt that their decision was an erronious one.

Some of the features, to some, would have been worth the $4500 alone. Others wouldn't give $100 for ALL those features.

The AT package is something ONLY you can determine if it has value to you, your lifestyle, your driving style and your bank account.

If you can find a dealer with a demo V, drive it and try out ALL the features, see if they are inportant and usefull to you.

Virtually ALL of us who've purchased a V with AT, would NOT change our decision, and pretty much love ALL the things it's equipped with. As stated before, some of us feel certain items alone would have been worth the total AT price, things like the DRCC come to mind, others feel a sense of security with the Pre-Collision system, yet others wouldn't do without the LKA/LDW and YES, there are even those who would NEVER want to do without the IPA!

Drive a V with AT, and decide for yourself, after all, it will be YOUR car!

David (aka Blind Guy)

1 person likes this.
  8. Sealawyer

Sealawyer New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Originally, I was going to purchase a "bare bones" Model IV. My reasoning was that I wanted the three door keyless entry like the '05 I had, plus I wanted the lumbar support (note: I always felt the Achilles' heel of the 04-09 Priuses was the seating).

However, when I began shopping, I couldn't find what I wanted in the colors I wanted at a price that was reasonable. By the way, if you actually know what you want in a car, and you're looking for a reasonable price -- south Florida can often be the worst place on earth.

So, as I expanded my search I began reviewing the cost after tag, tax, and any possible rip-off add ons which dealers attempt to put on bare bone models, I decided it became more cost effective to see if I might find a decent deal on the "high end" in the colors I wanted.

And, there it was in Orlando, where a purchaser failed to meet a credit score on a special order. So, I ended up with a Model V w/ATP.

Do I think it was worth the extra bucks? Well, since I was going to pay a few extra anyway for a bare Model IV, I'd have to say, "Yes".

Like everyone else, I am enjoying the radar cruise control immensely. And, while I haven't taken real advantage of it yet, I can see where on long trips the LKA could prove valuable.

And, though not part of the AT package itself, I am getting a surprising amount of use out of the navigation system. Once you get through the learning curve, I think it may be better than people are giving it credit for. Moreover, it keeps my girlfriend fully amused while we're driving, so it's well worth it to me.:D

The other part of the Model V that I like are the fog lights. Unlike, those on my 2005, these are actually useful on this model.

As for the assisted parking, I have to admit, so far, I've found "doing it myself" remains faster. But I'm willing to accept there's a learning curve on this feature -- time will tell on that one.

But, I, like some others have also mentioned, intend to keep this car for a good long time. So, on the whole, I am satisfied with my choice.
    :car:

Model V w/ATP, Blue Ribbon Metallic, Dark Grey Interior

9. NovaStu

NovaStu New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    The Advance Technology Package is an extra $2700, not $4500

I just checked pricing for NAV and the ATP on a Model V. The NAV alone is $2480 and the ATP is $5180 making the premium for the ATP $2700 over the "basic" NAV option.

Quantifying the additional cost for the ATP over the NAV option makes is a bit less dauntingly expensive if you start with the assumption that the choice of the NAV has already been made. The additional choice is whether to enhance the NAV with the ATP or just take the basic NAV system.

That having been said, add my two cents opinion to those who say the DRCC is incredibly useful, the LKA is marginally useful, and, for me at least, the IPA is a gimmick with which to impress others but for one who can get into the tightest spot, it's functionally useless.

Is it worth it? Am I sorry I spent the extra money? Not at all. I use the DRCC and LKA features every day on my commute into DC from Northern VA. I also use it on frequent trips on turnpike or interstate highways to NJ and PA. It makes the drive much more enjoyable.

10. bedrock8x

bedrock8x Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    For those who practice drink and drive, it is priceless!!!

11. Paradox

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    The only thing I don't care for on the AT package is the parking assist. It takes too long to use and I can park much faster myself here in the streets of Brooklyn and NYC. In it's placed as part of the AT package I would much rather have had the HUD and rain sensing wipers for example.

It is for the DRCC and LKA that I find the package useful. The navi which comes with it I use and am happy with it. Is it the best, imo no, but it gets the job done and i like having a clean look with no wires so i go stock.

12. R2Pre2

R2Pre2 Feel the Force!

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Similar to Paradox, the only thing I don't use is the parking assist, as I can park faster myself.

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE all the other features - DRCC, LKA, PCS, Safety Connect/SOS, 17" wheels, LED headlights!

In addition, I love that my husband (the uber-guber engineer who drives a Mazda RX-7) also appreciates these features. While driving, he comments on how nicely the headlights illuminate the road, how sporty the suspension feels, how "smart" the DRCC, LKA and PCS features are. I think we are actually safer in this car when using DRCC because the slowdown reaction can be faster than human reaction. (Does anyone need to remember to "actively" drive with this car?)

And don't get me started on how much I love Safety Connect/SOS which located R2Pre2 less than 2 hours after being stolen.

:dance:

13. Paradox

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Don't forget the LED headlights and 17" rims are actually part of the Prius V model, not the AT package.

Having the PCS is nice peace of mind I guess and since it uses the radar already part of the system it made sense to include it, but it's still something I'd give up personally to have the HUD and rain sensing wipers.

I remember your post about your car being stolen and am glad the Safety Connect helped you but its yet something else I am ultra glad was not out when I got my car so I was not forced to pay for it. I know it is something I would not have paid for after the trial so I wouldn't want to pay for it to begin with.

14. R2Pre2

R2Pre2 Feel the Force!

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Yes, I agree, some features are not the AT package. However, I'm starting to think of the car as "the whole package" instead of balkanizing the features.

Also agreed that HUD and rain-sensing wipers would be sweet, along with auto-headlights, more functional iPhone/iPod interface, less cumbersome nav & handsfree system, and the two features I would really like to have...a rocket launcher and auto teleportation. :madgrin:

Now that would be worth the $4.5k!

:bolt:

15. creativeguy

creativeguy Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I tried out the radar cruise control for the first time and it worked great. And when a car cut in front of me, the prius applied the brakes and readjusted for the correct distance. I think I'll be using cc a lot more often than I ever have in other cars simply because it can adjust to changing traffic situations.

16. R2Pre2

R2Pre2 Feel the Force!

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    That's exactly what I was talking about. :rockon:

17. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes (and in Canada, we get the solar roof with the AT Package but not LED headlights or 17" alloys or foglights :( ).

No regrets. I get a power moonroof, radar cruise. IPA is a great toy (toy, not feature) and as much as I like PCS, I hope to never use it (just like airbags). Actually, I think it's more like seatbelts. It's a last resort, preventative measure to minimise the impact of collision. In Canada, it was also the only way to get heated seats and lumbar support.

1 person likes this.
  18. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I do not regret buying the ATP, it is the only reasonable way to evaluate the extra features. You just can't learn much about them on a test drive and I think it might be hard to find a Prius V with ATP to rent.

I bought a Prius V over the other 3 versions primarily because of the quicker steering, the wider tires also help tracking, handling, and braking although they won't be as good in the snow.

I wanted the Nav system anyway because: 1. it's built in and 2. it has a very nice backup camera. Those who say their Garmin is more user friendly and has some better features are correct. Also, updates for the Toyota system are riduliously expensive. But I would get it again for reasons stated above. That means the ATP actually only cost me $2700, $4500 minus the $1800 for the nav system.

The PCS may be a worthwhile safety feature but no one on this site, as far as I know, has tested it yet. I hope I don't!

The IPA is worthless to me.

The LKA is OK for highway travel in the daylight, not as good at night. Mine, anyway, seems to drop out quite a bit at night because it apparently can't see the lines; but it never drops out, without good reason, in the daylight. I use it quite a bit on both freeways and 2 lane highways.

The DRCC works as advertised and is nice to have, I use it over the standard CC for safety. I usually set it to 1 second on busy 4 lane highways and freeways. On 2 lane highways I normally set it to 3 seconds and override it with the throttle if I want to move up behind someone to pass.

Both LKA and DRCC are fun to have and I do use them but I could live with out them. I pay close attention to where I am on the highway and I use these systems for added safety. As others have said the DRCC is the best of the ATP features.

19. LeeB

LeeB Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I've had the Prius for almost a month and love the ATP. I agree with the other posts regarding its conveniences and benefits and would definitely buy it again. As for the parking assist, I haven't "real world" used it yet. I did test it in my neighborhood with a friend using two other cars. While not quick (mostly due to the operator--me), it parallel parked the Prius perfectly 6 out of 6 times in spaces of varying distances. I think I have the hang of it now and can do it reasonably quickly. Parallel parking is not high on my list of things I like to do, at least not manually. I'll probably use the automated system on downtown side streets (where traffic is modest), and I suspect it will allow me to slip into spaces that I would not have attempted in the past. I'm glad it's part of the package.

20. stream

stream Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I bought a Prius V with nav.

ATP wasn't worth it for me.

I am a very good parallel parker (lived in Amsterdam for 2 years, where I honed my skills), so that option is worthless to me.

I never use cruise control, so radar controlling something I never use is worthless to me.

So it's down to LKA and PCS. The former might offer some utility for some, but not for me since I rarely drive for extended periods. The later does have some safety value, but not several thousand dollars worth, at least to me.