1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is the Advance Technology Package worth the extra $4.5k?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Momster10, Nov 25, 2009.

1. Rhino

Rhino New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Addressing the question of whether the $4.5 K is worth it - it is really an opportunity cost - whether you are willing to forgo other items in your life to have a nicer car. Everybody spends their money differently. I don't knock it. It is obviously nice to have luxuries in all aspects of your life.

I bought a new 50 inch plasma TV on closeout today for $700. I also got a new washer and dryer for $1000 on Black Friday. With the remaining money (that I did not spend on the ATP) I plan to buy a really nice surround sound system. Money is tight and I feel that I enjoy my money more if I use it in other areas.

1 person likes this.
  2. 1 mad scientist

1 mad scientist Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Momster,
    I wanted the added safety features. We both work with people who were involved in serious accidents within the last year. I thought the lane keep assist was only marginally useful until I used it at night. Most of us older folks suffer from reduced night vision and I find the LKA helps to reduce the stress of night driving. The dynamic cruise is annoying when approaching slower vehicles , if you are not paying attention. It is very useful in city traffic in areas like DC and Philly. The collision avaidance system is something we all hope to never use. The first time it prevents or lessens the severity of an accident it will have paid for itself many times over.
    Bob

3. peterjmc

peterjmc Ping pong in Ding Dang...

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Is it possible to retrofit some of the ATP sensors on a Prius V without it?

4. DataWrangler

DataWrangler Prius Owner (finally!)

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Ditto

If you don't mind my asking ... how? ... was it stolen?

5. liskipper

liskipper Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    As a gadget lover, I do enjoy the features of the V with ATP. The IPA is a bit of a joke, but very gee whiz. If you need it to help you park, frankly you should not be driving. The other features are just cool. The only problem is the GPS which is a total piece of crap. Somehow using a $200 Garmin or Magellan to make up for the shortcomings of the built in GPS is just not right. Toyota has told me that basically, they do not plan to fix this useless piece of crap. Unfortunately, many of the features go through the unit and replacing it with something else would be difficult. Furthermore, why should I be forced into replacing their piece of junk?

6. Michaelk

Michaelk New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    The V I was searching for was a white with ATP. Felt I would use the ATP as I gaze a bit too much. However, in the search I ran into a gold V in Arizona with 1800 miles on it that I could pick up for $24,000 I felt I had to jump on that deal.

I feel blessed to have the one I have.

Take Care!

Michael

7. M D

M D No more gas guzzler :D

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I'm glad I went with the ATP. I use the DRC all the time and it was the main feature of the package that appealed to me.

As others have said, the parking assist really is just a toy but it's especially nice for showing off to people who have asked "you traded a BMW for a Toyota???" and has so far been met with amazement. If it was quick enough to use in the real world I would do so but I feel there is enough Prius hate out there already without instigating more when taking two minutes to do 20 seconds worth of parking.

I was between this and the IV with solar for a while but the gadget head in me won me over... I was then very close to going for the IV anyway since I couldn't find the right V, when a dealer offered me a price very close to what the IV would have cost me.

8. rickkop

rickkop New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Honestly I wish I passed on the atp. I don't care for the dynamic cruise because people are always pulling in front of me, then the cruise keeps slowing me down to maintain the set distance. The lane assist is too touchy or tempermental so I end up shutting that off too. I agree with who ever wrote the parking assist is a toy. I still haven't got it to work correctly to show it off. I suppose atp package will ad to the resale value, but I won't order it on my next Prius. My advice would be to check it out and test all aspects of it before you buy. Rick

9. p626808

p626808 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I got it and love it!!.
    I travel about 4K per month commuting to my job
    I now have 53K on my 2010 blue package V

It has saved my life (or at least, stop me from getting in an accident) numerous times.

Except for the 10/25 rear ending I got. (did not see that one coming) I would be accident free :)

Scott

10. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Naaaah.
    Not for me, thanks.

Lots of people buy it and are happy---like others said, it's an individual choice!
    Car manufacturers looooove up-optioned vehicles, but I've found that base models hold their resale value more.
    JMHO.

11. Skoorbmax

Skoorbmax Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Good heavens no!

First, this thing is the easiest car to park I've ever driven. Tiny, has a turning radius of about 5 nanometers, and power steering. Honest to God if you need parking assist you should not be driving and I am dead serious.

Lane keep heck I probably need that. I drift all the time. Freaks my wife out. Please ignore hypocrisy re. my not driving comment.

Radar cruise would be neat and collision but not for $4.5k. The key safety feature of this car from tech standpoint, stability control, is standard, so don't bother. Spend the $4.5k on better tires, it will pay far more dividends IMO.

12. tekmaven

tekmaven Prius Fan

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I have a 2010 Prius V with ATP.

I am surprised to see that only one post in this thread touched on the reason why I got the ATP. The reason is, safety.

The pre-collision system may one day save my life, possibly passenger's lives, and maybe even other motorist's lives around me.

I drive in NYC nearly every day, and I've been privy to a few close calls already in my Prius. The first one really scared me, because the PCS automatically pulls the seatbelt tighter around you when it detects an imminent collision. I didn't get into an accident (the driver, a cab, ahead of me stopped extremely short) but after that experience my original safety thoughts were totally validated.

Also, in the event of an accident, brake assist may be the difference between life or death, or even, totaling your Prius, and getting some minor scratches.

Yes, I happen to use the DRCC and LKA all the time, but I spent the money for the ATP just for the safety features.

13. yadax3

yadax3 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Yep, me too. Like most everyone else, I think it's just a matter of personal preference and if it's worth it to YOU.

14. Skoorbmax

Skoorbmax Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If you or nobody can quantify how much safer it makes you then you're just stabbing in the dark. That's ok for a few hundred bucks, but this is a lot of money. Yes, it's safer. A million things in life are safer. It's possible this will save you life. It's also possible that not going out for a drive next time it's raining could save your life. Or replacing your tires every 5000 miles. It's also possible that not buying the Prius at all and instead buying a gargantuan econoline 350 van with a v8 would save your life in a multi-vehicle collision. I think 4500 for a very nascent technology with dubious real safety impact is a lot of money to spend. If I was extremely worried about dying in an accident I wouldn't drive a Prius to begin with. It is a small vehicle and physics dictate that if it, say, head-ons into another vehicle it stands a good chance of being the smaller one. It's safe for its size but ultimately it's not terribly big.

15. yadax3

yadax3 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    After my collision with an F350, I can certainly attest to that. The F350 driver walked away without a scratch. When I replaced my Prius after the accident, I seriously considered the advanced technology package but ultimately decided it wouldn't have prevented my accident and might even give me a false sense of security although I would love to have the radar cruise control.

16. skilbovia

skilbovia Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I would say unequivocally no...if it weren't for the ACC and LKA, which I love. But hey, for what it costs we get lots of stuff usually reserved for the Lexus.

17. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Just an update to my reply from last year.

Since then, PCS has been activated twice (not the auto-brake, just the seatbelt tightening), It helps keep you in your driving position instead of leaning forward like you would've in a regular car.

The difference in interior temperature btwn my Solar Roof equipped Prius and our 2005 Prius is astounding. Neither have tinted windows, the '05 has the Bisque interior while the 2010 has the dark grey interior but my car was waaaay cooler this past summer (they're parked one behind the other) and I rarely activate Remote A/C.

Radar cruise was great for US highway driving

Heated seats are a blessing in the winter (plus, they heat me up before the heater even starts blowing warm air).

AGPS is still cool. If you're not using the Pre-Support function, you have to know how to position the car properly and so far I'm fairly successful with it (the box can be crooked at times).

I like the bluetooth audio streaming (it's the only model in Canada with bluetooth audio streaming and no models have the USB/iPod connector like the US models do)

In Canada, the Technology Package is a $6,000 jump over the Touring or Premium w/Solar Panel models ($37k vs. $31k) but it basically like jumping from a III w/ Solar (minus nav) to a V w/ AT.