1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is the air conditioner compresor on when the heater is on?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by prius04, Oct 10, 2004.

1. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    You almost had me. However, the CO2 refrigerant was "developed and applied for Toyota's fuel cell hybrid vehicle launched last December."

As an aside, in my previous car, a 1987 MBZ 300E, pushing the defroster button of the climate control system always switched on the a/c compressor and overrode both the thermostat and the fan controls to the highest settings.

2. jimofdg

jimofdg New Member

Re: Is the air conditioner compresor on when the heater is o

I don't know if this is still the case, but when I last visited Europe (1973), "air conditioning" was a weak sort of way to move the air around, and if we wanted it cold we needed to turn on the "ventilator."

Certainly Toyota calls all cabin air movement "air conditioning." The actual A/C button or the need to really cool the car when Auto is on will activate the A/C compressor.

3. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    so what does the Prius use??

i figured its just nitrogen or CO2 anyway...

4. paprius4030

paprius4030 My first Prius

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Man i think we got off the subject for 04's question. I also had the same concers, does the compressor run when you just want heat, ie can you just leave the auto a/c on even in the winter when you just want heat or is it better to go into the screen and manually turn off the a/c? Also i know what he's talking about regarding using the defrost mode and the compressor. On my older Chrysler cars it said when you push the defrost button the a/c automatically comes on to help defog the windows but not when the temp. drops below 32 degrees.

5. IsrAmeriPrius

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    The air conditioning systems on my 1985 Audi 5000S Turbo and 1987 Mercedes Benz 300E were as good as on any American or Japanese cars which I have experienced. The dealer installed unit on my 1973 Ford Capri (imported by Mercury) was the worst ever.

R-134a, according to this site:

SAE Phoenix Alternate Refrigerant Symposium Summary - July 18, 2004

6. prius04

prius04 New Member

paprius4030
    I do think we've gotten a bit away from my original question but based upon what I've gotten from this thread, as well as what I already know about the Prius, and about Toyota, I'm now comfortable with the conclusion that the compressor is NOT on all winter.

And based upon what my daughter told me about the superfast defrost, I suspect that maybe the compressor does cycle on on the rare occasion when it needs to.

In fact, I suspect that the compressor might be dependent on the windshield defrost button. But I do know that even when I use that defrost button, the fan speed seems to be controlled by the computer. Thus, it stands to reason that the computer also cycles the compressor off, especially when considering how much energy a compressor uses. It just makes sense that Toyota would do that on the Prius for the operator and not rely on the operator like in a regular car..

I suspect this thread would have been shorter if I phrased my original question better. But one learns as one goes along.

7. paprius4030

paprius4030 My first Prius

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I agree the fan speed is controlled by the computer, but i wonder if the compressor will always be off below 32 like my older Chrysler cars?

8. prius04

prius04 New Member

paprius4030

Like you I would like something more definitive that the compressor shuts off. But I now assume that it is off. It just makes sense to not have it on except for those "bursts" that would be needed only when the door might open and let in tons of sleet and slush. That sudden burst of moisture could cloud up your windshield.

But the compressor would only be needed for 90 seconds or so tops. Any additional refrigerant compression would be a waste of energy.

And I'm quite comfortable that Toyota knows that and built it into the car.

9. IsrAmeriPrius

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Re: Is the air conditioner compres on when the heater is on?

From page 185 of the 2005 Owner's Manual (excerpts):

To remove frost or exterior fog on the windshield -

4. Leave the air conditioning on-off button off.

When the front windshield switch is touched, the air conditioning is set to operate and the OUTSIDE AIR mode is set.

10. prius04

prius04 New Member

Thank you, thank you, thank you.

I like the assurance that it's off. And I like the assurance that I can turn it on if I want to.

Now I just need to remember to shut the front windshield defrost off when the front window is cleared. I guess the car won't do that for me.

11. IsrAmeriPrius

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    You are most welcome; however, all this information comes from the owner's manual.

It also states that pushing the steering wheel windshield defroster button for a second time automatically returns the climate control system to its previous mode.

12. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Re: Is the air conditioner compresor on when the heater is o

Remember the Prius air conditioner compressor motor is run by a electric motor and has been pointed out runs the compressor at a speed necessary for the task at hand. In most other cars the compressor runs off the engine and is all on, all off. In that system the air conditioner is all on all off. This is inefficient. I would not hesitate to use the air conditioner to clear the windows. I most cars the air conditioner is activated when the defrost cycle is turned on. In the Prius the amount of energy used is controlled and reduced as compared to other cars. Safety is important the amount of lost energy is small, some one with more knowledge than I could calculate the loss. I would bet it is small. Would you be willing to give up a few tenths of a m.p.g. to see better. If not I have a sponge covered chamois you can get that will help you clear your windows, as for myself I will use the defroster.

13. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
  14. Batavier

Batavier Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(10132003\";p=\"44613)</div>
    You almost had me. However, the CO2 refrigerant was "developed and applied for Toyota's fuel cell hybrid vehicle launched last December."

As an aside, in my previous car, a 1987 MBZ 300E, pushing the defroster button of the climate control system always switched on the a/c compressor and overrode both the thermostat and the fan controls to the highest settings.
    [/b][/quote]
    * puts on reading glasses *

Darn, you're right!

Silly me! :)