1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is the american dream the bane of global warming?

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by burritos, Apr 16, 2007.

1. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TimBikes @ Apr 17 2007, 12:22 AM) [snapback]424506[/snapback]</div>
    It is arguements like this that slow progress.

Stop focusing on what people would not want to do or justifying your lifestyle. Instead realize that there is a problem and YOUR willingness to make changes and maybe we can move into a new area were people design things where these jusifications need not be made. IE smart cities, public transit, jobs within miles of ones home etc.

Otherwise we will end up like every other large civilication. Collapsed.......

2. Darwood

Darwood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey don't be picking on us Minni-Sohtuns.
    We may need more energy for heating, but we need alot less energy for cooling.

We also have plenty of clean cool water with our 10,000+ lakes and the start of the Mississippi (It's clean up here! How's it done south?). And a unique combination of prairie, decidous forest, and coniferous forest which are properly managed and renewable. Eventually we'll take advantage of our abundant wind resources too.
    After we get electric cars, We can use our ethanol to heat our house's! (Since a lot of people seem to not want the stuff or think it's just a big ag giveaway.)

3. TimBikes

TimBikes New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(F8L @ Apr 17 2007, 06:06 AM) [snapback]424554[/snapback]</div>
    Don't get me wrong - I'm all for designing in energy efficiency, smart cities, massive switch to a telecommuting culture, etc. However, it seems a recurring theme for folks to throw stones when they are living in glass houses, so to speak.

4. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TimBikes @ Apr 17 2007, 11:10 PM) [snapback]425170[/snapback]</div>

Completely understood. :)

5. TimBikes

TimBikes New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Darwood @ Apr 17 2007, 10:25 AM) [snapback]424707[/snapback]</div>
    Not trying to single you guys out per se - but my point is that I can be criticized for a relatively large house and 3 kids, but the argument seems fallacious coming from someone living in a state where they are likely emitting 2-3 times as much CO2 for a comparable living situation - or - who emits a comparable amount of CO2 living in an average Minnesota apartment as I in my large California house. See here.
    BTW - if you like to travel, plug that into the calculator and you'll likely see it exceed home and auto emissions.
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(F8L @ Apr 17 2007, 11:11 PM) [snapback]425172[/snapback]</div>
    We can all do better. I don't want it to sound like I'm making excuses. I've done the easy stuff (CF bulbs, telecommuting, driving a Prius, recycling like a fiend, minimizing consumption and waste). The next steps get harder - cutting consumption further, downsizing my house (sorry - not gonna happen), installing solar (pricey proposition). It ain't easy being green. :blink: