1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is the battery about to fail in my 05 Prius?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by caitnash, Mar 13, 2013.

1. JMD

JMD 2012 Prius 4 Solar Roof

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Anyone know a Good Prius Prius shop near this guy?

2. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney EditProfOptInfoCustomUser Title

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    OP, Jimbo was suggesting that you run through the full 12V test procedure as described on this site and report the voltages. Please search on this site for test 12V battery and follow the suggested procedure.

There are professionals who read this site and offer advice for free that can save you a lot of money. It pays not to assume you know anything and follow suggestions step by step.

Number 1 is always 12V battery since a failing battery can cause a lot of false positives. It's also the cheapest, easiest fix and replacing a failing 12V will also improve your fuel economy.

But, should you end up replacing your battery Toyota can be very amenable to providing a new battery for free or at a much reduced cost. Toyota values your custom. You may end up only paying for the labor.

3. caitnash

caitnash New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The dealership I'm taking it to tomorrow is in Valdosta, Ga. They're going to run the diagnostic test for me for free, thank God!

4. caitnash

caitnash New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

Thank you! I'll check it out. The dealership I've been working with has been so nice and helpful.

5. khp

khp Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Have the dealership print you out a copy of the diagnostic codes and if you can post the information here. It sounds like you have a bad module in your battery pack but until you see what the diagnostic codes are you really don't know.

JMD likes this.
  6. khp

khp Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
  7. khp

khp Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
  8. khp

khp Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If you need a used battery most wrecking yards usually a battery from a wrecked prius. There are some in your area. Might be the cheapest option for you.
    Car-Part.com--Used Auto Parts Market

9. caitnash

caitnash New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    REPLACED MY HYBRID BATTERY 4 MONTHS AGO AND GOT THE RED TRIANGLE AGAIN! Initially I had all the same lights as before. After driving about 30 miles and turning the car off and back on again....only the red triangle and check engine light remain. It's the 4th of July and my dealer is closed! I hope they aren't closed tomorrow as well!!! Any help or words of encouragement until then?

10. SteveLee

SteveLee Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    With any electrical or other weird issues with the Prius, always suspect the 12V battery until that possibility is eliminated. Get the voltages with the method in this thread and report them back here just to eliminate this as a cause. Weird stuff happening? MPGs dropping? Test The Battery | PriusChat

The procedure works using just the parking lights instead of the headlights.

Of course if you can't get anything to come up you could check the voltage of the 12V with a volt meter. That could be a start.

11. caitnash

caitnash New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'll check that out as soon as the weather clears. Could it be possibly that the hybrid battery is failing after only 4 months? I sure hope not!

12. SteveLee

SteveLee Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Anything is possible but it's not likely. Any history with the inverter or its coolant pump? Coolant in the inverter coolant reservoir is showing turbulence while in Ready? The engine cycles off at stop lights? Will run on electric for about a mile below 42 mph? The HV battery SOC gauge in the MFD cycles normally?

13. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney EditProfOptInfoCustomUser Title

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Unlikely it's the battery and if it is it'd be under warranty unless you went salvage. Get the codes (car part stores will give you them for free), post them here, search for them.

It would be a good idea to follow the guides in the manual for checking your various fluid levels.