1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is the city mileage rating bunk?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by windstrings, May 11, 2006.

1. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    your statement about the better mileage on long trips is typical. that is only because at 55-60 mph, steady driving, will get near 60 mpg. speed affects gas mileage, but not nearly as much as changing the speed.

so, in my experience, the best mileage for me is about 35 mph. some say 32... ok sure, i can believe that. (not many streets in my area with that speed limit so dont really know)

but i do know that i average about 80 mpg in the summer driving at 35 mph with minimum stops so in conclusion, you are right. the city driving mpg figures are bogus just as the highway figures are.

in the summer, i find it difficult to drive legally and do less than 51 mpg. have to be at 70 mph to get it that low on the freeway. (i live in Olympia so freeway speeds going north is 60, going south is 70 so i have a lot of experience tracking mpgs at several different speeds)

so what it boils down to is really what you are willing to do to get the EPA. with all these posts here, you should know its you and not the Prius you are driving.

and yes, ALL cars get better mileage at lower speeds. standard ICE dont have as much of an improvement as the Prius does since they are tuned to do best at slightly higher speeds, but the additional air friction usually more than makes up for the difference.