1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is the engine knock discussed elsewhere harmful?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by tpenny67, Nov 11, 2016.

1. tpenny67

tpenny67 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I've read many of the threads here about the occasional knocking sound that happens on startup. One question that hasn't been explicitly asked is "is it actually harmful?". It's interesting that there are a lot of reports of knocking, but no reports about any resulting engine damage.

Another question: does anybody know or have any theories as to what pieces are banging together to actually make the noise? I imagine it's not the connecting rods, or else there would be lots of engines with bad bearings by now. My own theory is that each time the engine misfires its going to cause an unexpected change in RPM and torque that is felt all the way from the crank to MG1. Maybe we're hearing the protests of the poor torque damper caught in the middle.

This is what happens when I have an hour+ commute to think about that awful noise I just heard starting the car :)

Mendel Leisk and bisco like this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    nah. i wouldn't encourage it though, who knows in the long term? the noise is probably from explosion instead of combustion.

3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I'm inclined to think where there's smoke there's fire, ie: loud/unusual banging is not good. That's about the extent of my mechanical knowledge, lol. And interesting that it's somewhat replicable: often follows on the heels of previous cold start up and quick shut down.

Hopefully some mechanical experts will contribute. And @Prius Team ?

bisco likes this.
  4. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    yes, i talked about it way back in 2013. read the video description and a link.

tpenny67 likes this.
  5. tpenny67

tpenny67 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That is an excellent video and I had seen it before. It does imply that the problem is that a cylinder isn't firing when the noise occurs (because it's just sucked in a puddle from the manifold?), but that doesn't tell us what's actually making the noise.

If I wanted to be really scientific about it, I'd reproduce the noise as much as possible until the engine failed and then report back on what broke. My car is still under warranty so it would get fixed on Toyota's dime. Unfortunately I'm not that brave :)

bisco likes this.
  6. Prius Team

Prius Team Toyota Marketing USA

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Just out of curiosity have you spoken to Toyota Customer Service about this? Or your dealership?

tpenny67 likes this.
  7. tpenny67

tpenny67 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I have not, for several reasons:
    1) It doesn't happen frequently, and after driving to the dealership there would be no reliable way to reproduce the problem.
    2) Based on other's experience on PriusChat, there is nothing the dealer could do to remedy the problem. Note that my Prius is a 2014 model, and should already have all the changes that are available.
    3) It doesn't really bother me that much. I'm asking more out of technical curiosity than anything.

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    are you aware of the tsb and the hundreds of posts here over the last 6 years regarding the problem, and also what causes it?

m.wynn, tpenny67 and Mendel Leisk like this.
  9. tpenny67

tpenny67 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes, and I alluded to those posts as "discussed elsewhere" right in the subject of this post. I'm really looking to take the discussion beyond those other discussions. Other than the noise, are there any consequences to this problem? It sounds like a piston is about to come through the hood, but has that actually happened to anybody? Are there any documented cases of actual engine failure associated with the noise?

10. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I think bisco's tightening the screws on Prius Team, not directed at you. Never sure though.

bisco and tpenny67 like this.
  11. tpenny67

tpenny67 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Ah, that would explain why he quoted Prius Team and not me. Ever since our election down here I'm going with the first thought that pops into my head and running with it. :)

Raytheeagle and bisco like this.
  12. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Hot topic up here too.

13. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    sorry for the confusion. i have never heard of anyone having engine problems because of it. that doesn't mean it hasn't happened, or that long term damage isn't being done. especially for folks who ignore the trigger.
    my hope is that prius team does some investigating, and comes back with new information, but:
    that they have never heard of it is telling, and 2) since toyota isn't talking, i doubt we'll get anything new.

tpenny67 likes this.
  14. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    In a couple threads I don't know if you've seen, there was a lengthy technical article in some auto diagnostic magazine that essentially agreed with that (noise coming from backlash in gear train when RPM of misfiring engine varies). I remember reading the article (I think in that particular case, the focus was on the diagnostic value of scoping ignition pulses, and they found a subtly flaky spark plug, but there's no claim that every knocking Prius will have the same cause).

Also, there was sombody who popped off the little rubber access panel into their bell housing, and was able to fish out little pieces of their torque-damper springs.

I don't have time this morning to fish up the links to either of those; maybe someone else remembers?

-Chap

tpenny67 likes this.
  15. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I recall seeing a black plastic panel, a bit loose, visible while under the car doing oil change with engine underpanel removed. Hmm.

16. tpenny67

tpenny67 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I hadn't seen those threads and still haven't. However based on your post I was eventaully able to search the internet for "prius gear train spark plug" and found http://www.aecs.net/techniek2012/March%20prius.pdf which says

Why the knock

What was causing the terrible knock? The hybrid drive train works with very precise position sensors. The management system needs to anticipate where the rotor of the electric motor is going to be every 65353’st part of a third of a rotation. This so it can power up each of the coils in the stator with the appropriate amount of current; - do not make the magnetic field too strong as you get over shoot of the rotor and also - do not give it too little.
    The engine is connected to the rotors of the MG’s via the planetary gear set.
    Any misfire in the engine gives an MG rotor undershoot, so the MG ECU is going to compensate for this incorrect rotor position by increasing current to the next MG coil. This will be aided by the next cylinder firing, causing overshoot, which needs to be compensated for…. Please do not think that when the engine is running the MG works just as a generator. The MG’s both do use current, also when charging, as this is how the MG ECU controls the charge voltage to the battery.

There is in any drive train free play, even in the big ends on the crankshaft. Move all the free play of every item in one direction and immediately in the opposite direction, and presto there is your noise!​

Which is exactly the information I was looking for.

17. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Thanks for that, will definitely save a copy. If I'm reading it right: one spark plug was acting up, causing a cascade of misbehaviors in the transaxle, and spark plug replacement fixed this "terminal" case.

18. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    so it's damaging, or isn't?

19. tpenny67

tpenny67 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    While I wouldn't say it's good for any of the parts involved, I wouldn't expect it to be catastrophically damaging either. Gears generally don't slide against each other, so unless the forces are high enough to fatigue the metal it shouldn't cause any wear. It's sort of like clapping your hands, you get a lot of noise but you don't abrade your skin.

bisco likes this.
  20. Prius Team

Prius Team Toyota Marketing USA

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Honestly the answer is "no," but that should reflect personally on me and not the rest of the team - I've only picked the Prius Chat stuff up very recently, and I'm splitting my time between Prius and Mirai. >.< But your frustration is fair and I'll do my homework.

Mendel Leisk and bisco like this.