1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is the gen ii Prius better in any way than the gen iii?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Eoin, May 28, 2010.

1. RedBackFur

RedBackFur Owner

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Oops, I should have looked at IMDB! first.:eek:

2. RedBackFur

RedBackFur Owner

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I spent $9.00 at Fry's (didn't get it on the infomercial!) for one of these:
    https://www.newwindshieldwonder.com/
    Easily fits in my lower glove compartment and works just fine. So problem solved with that aspect of your GenIII

1 person likes this.
  3. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    (For actual race cars, rear discs make sense, and they usually have no parking brake)

It is very difficult to make a parking brake using a disc brake, it is easy with drums. (Subaru hid a drum brake in the rear discs in my Forester, so it would look 'modern' but still work. 2004 XT brake job Part 2 (rear) - Subaru Forester Owners Forum This is extremely common for 'rear disc' brakes) In the Gen II Prius, the rear brakes mostly activate under 7 MPH, so the superior overheating resistance of discs will go unused.

Disc brakes vs. drum brakes - What are disk brakes and drum brakes, and how do they work?
    Brakes: Drum vs. Disc

As you read these articles, remember that the Gen II Prius wisely converts momentum to electricity, not heat, in normal braking over 7 MPH. (using only the front tires)

4. SW03ES

SW03ES Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    You need one of those windshield tools like another poster provided a link for. They work very well...

Really? Are you sure that works when the warranty just runs out and not only when you trade in the car?

5. freo-1

freo-1 New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The Gen II Touring model handles better than the Gen III. The MFD with backup camera is a better overall setup. The lack of a flying bridge in the Gen II is a plus.

So, there are some things that are better, and others that are not.

6. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I think it's a trade where it's pro-rated. If you sell the car privately, you have the advantage of selling it with a warranty. I've never heard of an ext. warranty refunded because you didn't use it and you still have the vehicle.

7. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Put another way, it's like asking, which of your siblings ... or your parents ... or your kids is better. Different isn't necessarily better

;)

8. energyandair

energyandair Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    When we bought ours, I believe we had the option of either a Toyota extended warranty that had no value at expiration, or a 3rd party warranty that gave your money back at expiration if there had been no claims.

As the included warranty seemed pretty good, our expectations of Prius reliability were high, and our general impression is that extended warranties are high profit low value products, we chose no extended warranty.

9. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    They're expensive... nearly $1,500 to extend it to 7 years (and whatever the max km is)... Our 2005 Prius is still running strong (A few bugs now and then) but nothing major relating to the hybrid system.

10. PaulRivers

PaulRivers Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ahahahaha, well, you know, matter of opinion - I think the Gen2 is a slightly quirky, but pretty good looking car, while the Gen3 is a bit of a monster, trying hard to look "sport" but it can't manage to do it.

OF COURSE - looks are a matter of opinion. Just think it's amusing. :)