1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is the HD war over?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by eagle33199, Jul 27, 2007.

1. priusenvy

priusenvy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    So typical of john1701a. Confront him with facts and he changes the question to match his answer.

2. johnford

johnford Old Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    HD DVD is not throwing in the towel untill Blu-Ray has all the delegate votes..... Oh, wait.... I'm confused.... jf:confused::confused::confused::eek::lol::lol::lol:

3. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Same question all along: Is the HD war over?

Obviously, not. DVD sales will continue for awhile, in large part due to prices. So I asked: How long are we talking before BR is able to overcome the appeal of DVD?

Some just like to spin what I say to keep the discussions lively.

4. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Make sure your hands and feet are completely inside the car...the door's about to close....
    Universal says will now switch to Blu-Ray standard - Yahoo! News

Universal says will now switch to Blu-Ray standard

General Electric Co's (GE.N) Universal Pictures, one of a few studios using the Toshiba Corp-backed (6502.T) HD DVD format, said on Tuesday it will switch to the rival Blu-ray format now that Toshiba has officially pulled the plug on HD DVD.
    Officials from other HD DVD backers, like Viacom Inc's (VIAb.N) Paramount Pictures and DreamWorks Animation SKG Inc (DWA.N), had no immediate comment.
    "The path for widespread adoption of the next-generation platform has finally become clear," Craig Kornblau, President, Universal Studios Home Entertainment and Universal Pictures Digital Platforms, said in a statement.

5. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Are you talking about players, disks, or both?

Tom

6. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    How about an attempt to totally confuse?

I switched to DVD back on "Judgement Day", a symbolic gesture as a "Terminator" fan. (August 29, 1997) So I was pretty upset a month later when the DIVX disc format was announced. That delayed schedules. But I survived and was pleased with the outcome This won't be that much different.

However... by amazing coincidence, the first VHS tape I have purchased in over a decade just happened to arrive in the mail today (a hard-to-find music video collection produced back in 1998). Having to dig out and reconnect my VCR on the very day that HD-DVD was declared done should make the day rather memorable.

Anywho, I'm rambling because the only thing left now is the wait. Gotta fill the time somehow. After all, the next model Prius requires waiting too.

7. Tempus

Tempus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I needed replacement DVD Player this weekend, and wanted one with decent up-converting scaling.

So, I bought a Toshiba HD DVD player which a couple of weeks ago cost $299 for $82 (and got the 7 free HD DVDs), which is about the cost of a decent up-converting player these days.

I plan on mainly using it as a regular DVD player, but if I see any HD DVDs at yard sales for a buck I'm set :)

Amazon has a link to the Tigerdirect/Compusa sale on them.

8. mikepaul

mikepaul Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I bought one of the Xbox 360 HD-DVD players today at Best Buy for $50, and I'll mail-in for the 5 HD-DVDs tomorrow just in case they do still honor the rebate. With luck that'd be another 6 including "King Kong" inside the box.

If I get HD-DVD-compatible DVD player software for my PC, it'll supposedly work there too. I want another player like a HD-A30 to put away for later since I just got the HD-A2 back in November, but the current price of $130 is just a touch high...

9. ken1784

ken1784 SuperMID designer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I heard that Microsoft is also going to discontinue the HD DVD drives.
    I think the HD DVD movie discs will be gone soon.

Ken@Japan

10. GeekEV

GeekEV Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    How ironic is it that the thing which may wind up driving the greatest adoption of the format is its discontinuance? LOL