1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is the ICE kicking on in EV mode?

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by cycledrum, Mar 21, 2012.

1. Jeff N

Jeff N The answer is 0042

Vehicle:
    2011 Chevy Volt
    The 0.2 barrels for electric thing is confusing. The same result is shown for the LEAF and I-MiEV.

I assume it means that if you drove all-electric then the national average electricity fuel mix would include 0.2 barrels of petroleum-derived energy. Most areas use little or no petroleum for electricity production but Hawaii does and some areas like New York apparently use it in "peaker" plants during higher power demand periods.

2. drinnovation

drinnovation EREV for EVER!

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Really, I've not seen a credible wells-to-wheels for the Prius PHV, where was it published?

But your wells-to-wheels is misguided. Many PHEV uses are trying hard to avoid any use of energy for wells and paying for renewable energy for charging. Average grid does not matter me (or many). What is the efficiency of driving on wind power? Solar Power?

3. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Do 'life cycle analysis' ... cost of raw materials for panels, wind towers, maintenance, distribution, etc...?

Quite complicated. Perhaps we can ride bicycles, enjoy the fresh air and burn some calories when able :)

4. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Really? So Torque app shows 100% when Volt's battery is full and 0% when depleted?

5. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Here is one from US Department of Energy.

EPA's Beyond Tailpipe Emission calculator also include the upstream emission so we can use it as WTW comparison. The regular 50 MPG Prius is already lower than the Volt national average so Prius PHV will just be have lower WTW carbon footprint. We'll have to wait until they add Prius PHV in there.