1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is the Iraq War a Financial Burden to the USA

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by dbermanmd, Oct 17, 2006.

1. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    As a percentage of GDP, the deficit has gone down. It isn't near record lows. In dollars(adjusted) it's near record highs. The debt, as a percentage, is over 60%.
    A while back I posted about this subject. Since posted links don't seem to be followed, I'm not wasting the time to dig them up.

That said, Kenedy's cuts did help the economy and revenue. The bracket cut was at 90%. Force invovled wasn't 'trickle down'. People simply had more to spend, it's demand side action. Oh, after the the cut, taxes were still 70%.

Reagan's cuts weren't that drastic. Somewhere on line of 40% to 35%. A couple years after those intial cuts, Reagan raised taxes. Which is where the govt's increased revenue came from.

I guess I wasn't clear, but yes, the Iraq 'war' is a burden on the US. Finicial and otherwise.

2. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Chipping in would help, but asking them to pay us back would be a mistake. It could lead to the situations in debt ridden African countries and Germany after WWI. Those didn't lead to positive things.

3. jared2

jared2 New Member

"asking them to pay us back would be a mistake"

Asking the Iraqis to pay us? What for, destroying the country and killing 650,000 Iraqi's? With friends like us, they don't need enemies.

4. dragonfly

dragonfly New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Oct 18 2006, 09:50 AM) [snapback]334425[/snapback]</div>
    So far well over $300,000,000,000 because we were misled into thinking Iraq had something to do with it.

5. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Oct 18 2006, 07:59 AM) [snapback]334375[/snapback]</div>
    Wars are fought primarily for economic reasons. I don't think that's any big surprise.

If there wasn't money to be made, why for goodness sake would everyone be so eager to fight all the time?

Look at the United States. Right now. That's what we're doing; fighting for selfish economic interests under the guise of moral and societal concerns. All the while energizing the military industrial complex (which itself represents a poor way to funnel dollars directly back into our economy -- not talking about technology spinoff from guns to butter).

That's why the war rings so hollow, and why it's fragmented the people to such a great degree. Because we're exchanging the lives of our proud, brave soldiers for petty economic gain. And we're not even honest enough to admit it to ourselves!

6. Jeannie

Jeannie Proud Prius Granny

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Oct 17 2006, 03:06 PM) [snapback]334052[/snapback]</div>
    My thoughts - yes
    My reasons - It's gotten us back into deficit spending, and I remember the effect of the Viet Nam war on the economy.
    Facts behind my reasons - If I cited a bunch of facts, I'm sure you would question the accuracy of my 'facts' and jump up and down on any if the 'facts' where you had a different version of the 'fact'. I'd probably do the same in return. It's not likely either of us would sway the other's opinion.

So I'm just registering my opinion here!

7. kingofgix

kingofgix New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Dragonfly @ Oct 18 2006, 05:47 PM) [snapback]334747[/snapback]</div>
    A minor correction here. WE weren't mislead into thinking Iraq had something to do with it, just people like dbermanmd were.

And the answer to the question is an emphatic yes. The cost of the war is $1000 for every person in the US so far. That comes to $12,000 for my immediate family which is a huge burden. If dbermanmd doesn't think its a burden, he can send me a check.

8. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(VinceDee @ Oct 18 2006, 02:55 PM) [snapback]334633[/snapback]</div>
    I am sorry i have not impressed you - I will count that as a major failure of mine. Also, thank you for judging me and labelling me - although you have it wrong - obviously unimportant to you.

You have yet to prove that a war that cost lets say $300billion is a burden for a country with a GDP over the same time period of nearly $40TRILLION. And we will not consider that an amount of the $300 billion stays within our economy.

If you want to play semantics with word definition because you are unable to prove your point so be it. I guess you were part of the crowd that nodded their heads when clinton said "depends on what the definition of is is".

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jared2 @ Oct 18 2006, 02:58 PM) [snapback]334634[/snapback]</div>
    Enormous debt???

And what is the current position of the American Dollar vs. other currencies. Not what people think or speculate it should be - where is it now????

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jeannie @ Oct 18 2006, 06:04 PM) [snapback]334759[/snapback]</div>
    Not trying to sway opinions - looking for reasons people think they way they do. I think deficit spending would have happened anyway after 9/11 - although the Iraq War has not helped.

What do you think the effect of the Vietnam War was on our economy?

9. Beryl Octet

Beryl Octet New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Let me ask you a question. If you are such a big fan of the war, why have you not enlisted? The army has recently lowered requirements and expanded the age range, they have an M-16 waiting for you now.

10. Jeannie

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Oct 19 2006, 09:12 AM) [snapback]334981[/snapback]</div>
    runaway inflation in the 70's and 80's.

11. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jeannie @ Oct 19 2006, 10:02 AM) [snapback]335004[/snapback]</div>
    That was during the Carter Administration - I had to take HEAL loans out to help pay for Medical School - the rate was 1% over prime - that was tough.

I think however those interest rates were more a reflection of economic "theories" and model at the time. Once reagan put greenspan into the chair at the fed and he implemented a change in fed policies interest rates have held very steady. I do not think inflation was due to the Vietnam War - I would be curious as to the % of the fed budget the DoD accounted for. And Vietnam ended in the early to mid 70's so inflation post that would not be its responsibility.

In fact, if I remember correctly we ended our efforts in Vietnam due to the Democratically controlled Congress stopping budgetary allowances for the US war effort there. So in effect, no defense $'s were spent there since the early 70's.

12. jmccord

jmccord New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Oct 18 2006, 06:59 AM) [snapback]334353[/snapback]</div>
    I guesss that depends on who you mean by "the USA".
    If by "USA" you mean corporate USA, then no.
    Halliburton, oil companies, defense contractors, large corporations, and war profiteers will certainly reap large financial benefits, not burdens, from the continuation of this tragic and misguided war.
    However, if by "USA" you mean the large number of middle and lower class American families surviving paycheck to paycheck without the benefit of obscene CEO salaries, fat stock portfolios, etc., then yes.
    While I cannot provide the specific facts you request to support my assertion, I do know that money spent on the war cannot be spent on health care, education, environment, and non-military technology. Any of these things merit tax dollars, would improve our lives, and would not motivate terrorists to kill us. IMHO every dollar spent destroying/rebuilding Iraq in the name of keeping America safe is a shameful lost opportunity.
    Reagan style "trickle-down" economics is a myth. The Iraq war, like the Savings and Loan Crises of the 1980's, will result in another huge shift of wealth from average taxpayers to the corrupt fat cats who are pulling Bush's puppet strings. <_<

13. kenmce

kenmce High Voltage Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    A reasonable question. I suppose I would approach it like this:

Does it cost more to be at war than at peace?

If so, roughly how much more?

If the amount is modest, something we can pay off promptly, then I would be willing to shrug it off and answer "no".

If the amount is significant, if we have to forgo other activities, if we cannot pay the bill promptly, then I would start considering a "yes" answer.

Another consideration would be if we are getting anything in return for all this effort. If we had a fair chance of getting something valuable, I would be willing to consider it an investment rather than a burden. If we seemed to be creating a long term problem or liability, I would again swerve towards "burden"

14. Alnilam

Alnilam The One in the Middle

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Why do you people keep buying into this guy's questions like he was an intellectual seeking truth: some sort of reasonable human being to whom logic was a given? He posits everything to come out one way and filters his responses so that marginal responses get jumped on while honest and correct answers are completely ignored.

Don't you ever get tired of being played for a sucker buy this nut? Have you ever heard him say, "Hey, that was a good idea and you got me to re-thinking my last statement!"? Don't hold your breath. He is all right, all the time.

As is my wont, I'll repeat his words about nuking California to show his acute mental prowess:

“and if noko could take out california or parts of it - so be it - they never wanted money spent on star wars or related technologies - they never wanted a strong military deterence - ironic they are first in noko's nuclear sights - ironic how they must be feeling in berkeley tonight - must be resting comfortably

seriously, we can understand why noko launches a nuke at us and takes out part of california - if they do i hope we dont do anything silly in return like strike back and make any more people mad at us or give reason to those to attack us again. i would just offer a peace settlement - give him san fran or la in return for a peace treatyâ€

From the collected works of that great American humorist
    David Berman, M.D.

("noko" is North Korea in his rant.)

This is the category of "thinker" that you are jousting with. As it says over the gate of hell:
    "Abandon hope, all ye who enter here."

Remember the old joke about the VP which goes:
    "How do you know Cheney is lying?"

"His lips are moving."
    So is it here. Your time is better spent watching "I Love Lucy" re-runs.

When you stop taking him seriously, he will fade back into the dark night from which he sprung.

15. Jeannie

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Oct 19 2006, 10:14 AM) [snapback]335007[/snapback]</div>
    The Wage and Price freeze imposed by Nixon in 1969 were about inflation - they didn't work, because we were still deficit spending, so they became Gerald Ford's problem in 1974. The war ended, Carter got elected, but we'd gotten 'hooked' on the deficit spending, It got OUTRAGEOUSLY out of hand by then. Greenspan helped a LOT, but Reagan's first 'experimental economics' models were built on a Keynesian assumption that there was a 'multiplier' effect for ANY money put into the economy. (I remember being taught in my undergrad economics course that if the government spent $1 on sorting paperclips, the multiplier effect will cause more than $1's worth of benefit to the economy - that's when I decided that Milton Friedman right - there's no such thing as a free lunch - and went to the University of Chicago for grad schoool).

It took a very long time to get out of deficit spending - well into the 90's.

16. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Alnilam @ Oct 20 2006, 04:02 AM) [snapback]335432[/snapback]</div>

17. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Alnilam @ Oct 20 2006, 04:02 AM) [snapback]335432[/snapback]</div>
    Hate to upset the apple cart you seem to be pushing with regularity - but please refer to TODAY's Wall Street Journal page A12 - the lead editorial for an interesting piece on how LOW the defense budget is given we are fighting a war in Iraq and our other DoD related responsibilities.

FACT: Defense spending as a % of federal outlays is currently near a record low since 1940. It currently is 19.8% compared to 48% during the Vietnam War and 90% during WWII.

FACT: Defense spending as a % of GDP is currently ONLY 4%!! During Vietnam it was 9.5% and during WWII it was 37%!

So maybe the Iraq War is NOT a financial burden - at least according to the facts as presented by the WSJ? I have presented my facts. Now you present yours. Mind you, since in your opinion I am a "nut" or may I paraphrase here "some kind of pseudointellectual" you might assume i made these facts up or will "filter" responses - so I am presenting you with a real opportunity to back up your accusations of me. Your turn, or are you the one spouting words without facts - or filtering responses. If I am playing you for a "sucker" - prove me wrong - cite your facts that the Iraq war is a financial burden.

And please - you should be able to differentiate sarcasm from other forms of speech. Now your turn for "acute mental prowess". Or are we going to get from yu more rants and raves?

And by the way I try to be all right all the time - I may not be right all the time though :D

18. dragonfly

dragonfly New Member

Is there a duck in here? I think I just heard a quack.

19. Alnilam

Alnilam The One in the Middle

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Oct 20 2006, 04:23 AM) [snapback]335452[/snapback]</div>
    Talk about understatement!

My point to the pointless: I don't care about your subject du jour. If you said that the Sun rose in the east, I'd seriously question my knowledge base for some hidden flaw in what I deeply believe. I rant and rave? I just quoted you precisely in my earlier post. You define rant and rave. I don't have to back up anything: you convict yourself every time you speak. If you had a lawyer here, he'd wisely tell you, "Keep your mouth shut."

My proposition is that you are beyond the pale. All I need do is quote you and the field is bountiful. I just selected one moment of your unguarded madness for continued exposure: "Destroy California!" You picked the wrong call to arms. I am a strident believer in a "Free California." (Even Mississippi!) You are the broken clock that is right twice a day. Or the broken record that plays the same refrain endlessly. If the pot looks cracked and doesn't hold water, it is a crackpot.

I've focused on you as the prototype of what is wrong with the American soul, that loss of goodness and humanity that has led to the last six years of free fall into the abyss of greed and power-lust we are in: the jack-booted image America presents to the rest of the world that makes me feel ashamed. To paraphrase Keith Olberman, you get my vote for "The Worst Person on PriusChat."

This is the sort of mind that put Bush et al into power. Rather than shotgun all over the place, you are where I take my stand. I don't care about any of your "ideas." Life is too short. You are the face I see on my government-mandated "Big Brother" poster, soon to be issued to us all. "War is Peace!" "Bankruptcy is Richness!" Until one of the moderators tells me to knock it off, their right, I remain, your devoted servant.

And so it goes.....

20. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Dragonfly @ Oct 20 2006, 11:36 AM) [snapback]335567[/snapback]</div>
    Water off my back :p

Now how about some facts like those i presented above from todays WSJ that shows that the Iraq War has not been a burden financially?

Or are you just going to play the personal attack theme you normally do when you have nothing to back up your thoughts?

Donald