1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

is the issue/quirk when hitting bumps while braking lightly worse on the 3rd gen vs. 2nd gen Prius?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by cwerdna, Feb 9, 2010.

?
  1. 3rd gen is MUCH worse than 2nd gen

3 vote(s)
    27.3%
  2. 3rd gen is somewhat worse than 2nd gen

5 vote(s)
    45.5%
  3. No difference between the two generations

3 vote(s)
    27.3%
  4. 2nd gen is somewhat worse than 3rd gen

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. 2nd gen is MUCH worse than 3rd gen

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Can't tell

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Please ONLY answer if you have experienced the brake "problem" in both a second gen (04 to 09) AND 3rd gen (2010) Prius and can characterize the difference between the two.

By "problem", I'm talking about the brakes briefly seeming to cut out during light braking when going over potholes, rough roads, railroad tracks, etc. due to the switchover from regen to friction brakes. By "feel", I'm talking about whether the you feel the sensation is scarier, seems more dangerous, feels like it "lurches forward", "accelerates", etc.

The problem is at the URLs below + countless other threads here on PC.

I can't answer since I have insufficient seat time in the 3rd gen.

Toyota Vehicles : Toyota Recall January 2010: Gas Pedal Recall / Toyota
    Newsroom : FAQs About the 2010 Prius/2010 Lexus HS 250h/Camry Voluntary Recalls / Toyota
    http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-iii-2010-prius-main-forum/74199-poll-prius-brakes-problem.html

1 person likes this.
  2. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Re: is the issue/quirk when hitting bumps while braking lightly worse on the 3rd gen vs. 2nd gen Pri

I'd say somewhat. I think w/ Gen II it's more regen letting go during friction braking, reducing the overall force. Pushing harder compensates.

3. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Re: is the issue/quirk when hitting bumps while braking lightly worse on the 3rd gen vs. 2nd gen Pri

^bump

Sorry for bumping, but I would like to get more responses. There are only 3 responses so far which is likely because this post has fallen back pretty far.

4. cireecnop1

cireecnop1 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

I remember my 07 Touring having the same "hesitation" to brake when hitting a pothole. but never really bothered me, on the 3rd gen its somewhat more noticeable but still nothing that I personally feel is a major safety concern.

If you're in an emergency your bear down on the brakes and voila! the car stops.

5. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V

I assume the poll refers to the G3 before the brake recall is implemented. I had to pick the top choice because my G2 prius never had any braking issues whatever, and I drove it in all kinds of conditions on all kinds of roads. I have experienced the braking quirk/issue/problem three times in 14K miles with the G3, but as previously stated it always stopped anyway so I don't consider it a safety issue.

6. FScott58

FScott58 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

Never noticed it in my gen II (which I owned for 2 years), but taking the same route back from work in my gen III, I have already had a couple of instances of losing the brakes for a split second when making a turn off a rough section of a highway. Now I know how to compensate for it - but it is unnerving.