1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is the leather real?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by McDonald, Jun 25, 2008.

1. SW03ES

SW03ES Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Who gave her smart nice person comments? We answered her question and commented as to her opinion that Toyota should not have put leather in the car...

I don't see any smart-assed comments...

2. ceric

ceric New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I think David Beagle already answered the question very well.

There is a reason it is called "trimmed" or "leather-trimmed" interior, not "all-leather interior".
    Most Japanese vehicles (Lexus included) do not use full leather like most German luxury brands do (such as BMW, MB and Audi). Cost is a major factor. As David pointed out, only two pieces of the front seats are made of genuine leather. The parts that touch your backend and your back. Others are made of faux leather (or man-made leather). The same goes for the back seat.
    I purchased a aftermarket kit from eBay. I can tell from the backside that this is true.
    I also read a report a few years ago on this issue.
    For example, most people do not know that the 3rd row seat "leather" surface in most SUVs/CUVs are made of man-made leather entirely. Not a single piece is made of real
    leather. For example, Acura MDX.
    They called it "leather-trimmed" for a good reason.

3. fcc

fcc New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    based on this thread, i can fully understand why prius drivers are stereotyped
    as liberal, vegan, etc...

i wanted leather interior because it looks nice, easy to manage/clean, and lasts
    longer then fabric if taken care of.

i have no concern, what so ever, of the cow it came from.

but i do understand how a vegan who detests meat would also think the leather option
    is creepy. i just think it is mind blowing ironic when i see these vegans wearing leather
    birkenstocks licking ice cream that came from a cow.

4. pdhenry

pdhenry It's HEEERE!

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    How is leather less environmentally friendly than plastic?

nssdiver likes this.
  5. SW03ES

SW03ES Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Aside from the fact that it comes from an animal...and thusly if you were vegan you wouldn't like that...the chemicals used to tan and dye leather are extremely bio-unfriendly generally.

6. orenji

orenji Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Correction - Lexus LS400 came with all leather seats, Toyota used some of the finest Napa leather available at the time. My 26 year old LS400 leather still looks new. With proper care you can keep your leather seats like new.

7. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Leather is available in the UK Prius too. The US only has Softex artificial leather as an option.

orenji likes this.
  8. padroo

padroo Senior Member

Chesterton, Indiana Another third world country.
    Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    My Gen 2, 2008 Prius came with perforated leather seating surfaces. I never liked the look of the seats, I thought they looked cheap even though it was considered an upgrade from cloth. I have so many cars with leather (5) that it isn't anything special anymore. I like the look and feel of the new Softex in my new 2016 much better than the leather in my old Prius. If you are an environmentalist leather is natural and vinyl and plastics are not, same goes for cloth, it is mostly made from oil, I don't think there are any natural fibers in cloth seats anymore.

I don't know any vegan people so I guess I am ignorant on that subject. I never tied vegans to environmentalist, am I missing something?

9. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Generally speaking, if one were a practicing vegan there would be no internal consumption of animal products.

Vegetarians may choose to also eat dairy, eggs or honey.