1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is the Optima Yellow Top a good batt?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Taxi/Limo, Jun 17, 2018.

1. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I connected a CTEK quick connect (a connector with a pair of ring connectors, an inline fuse on the positive (red) one. For our 3rd gen Prius, I connected the positive lead at the bolt that holds the main 12 volt (positive) cable at the under the hood fuse box. It's under this plastic cover:

upload_2018-7-27_12-59-18.png

Getting that cover off is a bit of a puzzle: I believe @NutzAboutBolts has a video on it, pinned at top of 3rd gen maintenance sub-forum.

Also, there's limitted room for a spade or ring connector; IIRC I had to trim off the insulation covering the connector's base, and bend it to a right angle.

The negative lead I connected to an nearby bare hold-down bolt, I believe on the brake reservoir bracket?

When done, I've got a capped connector, in the front right corner of engine bay. I do need to pop the hood to get to it, but I can hook up my charger, and lower the hood just to, not slammed shut. If you're parking outside and security is a concern, that may or may not work for you. The flipside: if your plug is accessible from the outside, someone could short it out?

Raytheeagle likes this.
  2. farmecologist

farmecologist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    II
    Ok...so we can do it both ways. Thx for the info!

It just seems so much easier to hook up a quick connect to the battery itself though ( for me anyways )! (y)

3. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    @NutzAboutBolts did the video just for you;).

Nice addition to the video collection (y).

NutzAboutBolts likes this.
  4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring

Yeah, if it's infrequent, alligator clips, either at the battery or the under-the-hood jump point, are the way to go. Ours tends to sit for days, frequently, so quick-connect was more secure/quick.

farmecologist likes this.
  5. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    There is NO "correct" method.
    Connecting it at any point which is "hot" all the time is fine.

You do not need a permanent connection.
    Use the big clips at the "jump points" or at the battery itself if this is needed just occasionally.

farmecologist and Mendel Leisk like this.