1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is the pip the only prius with lithium?

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by windstrings, Dec 4, 2012.

1. windstrings

windstrings Certified Prius Breeder

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    My wife doesn't want the pip for her next car. The main thing I like is the extra efficiency of the larger lithium batteries to give better mpg and better extended ev than the non pip.

Are any of the other prius non pip offerings available with the larger distance lithium instead of NiMH?

Alan... The second mouse gets the cheese!
    galaxy S3 with Tapatalk 2

2. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Yep, the PIP's the only one with a lithium-ion battery.

3. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Figured, I hate buy buy exactly what I already have... The 2010s are fitted for the lithium already, I saw the cases myself in the Detroit debut of the 2010 prius gen 3.
    Surprised that's not an option.
    Hard to say there is a battery shortage now when so many competitors are now using lithium. Prius is falling behind. If they are going to sell several different types of cars, they all should get progressive updates otherwise phase them out.

4. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    In Japan, Australia, and Europe, the 7 seat version of what is called the Prius v in the US has a smaller lithium battery in the center console, so the space in the rear can be a foot well for the third row.

Toyota Prius v - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    what competitor does the prius have?

6. John H

John H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I think Toyota is doubling down on NiMH for the their hybrids based on cost and some characteristics of NiMH for frequent charge/discharge in a regen application.

7. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Why doesn't your wife want a PiP? You just get a few EV-only miles but you can just charge when you feel like it. I mean Toyota's version of EV is more like a hybrid+. I don't have one, but if I did I would not feel like I had to charge it all the time. I would charge if it was in my garage but I would not fight for a public charging space if others wanted it more.

mozdzen likes this.
  8. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Other than poor shelf life and being rather heavy they are ok.... The former is not a concern for frequently used hybrids but the latter is
    Lithium is capable of tremendous amperage discharge quickly as well as recharge.

Not much completion imo for the price range... Everything else is substandard wanna be's trying to catch up... But in the specific area of batteries. Prius is dragging. Their marvelous engineering on the rest of the car holds them in the game.
    The public is finally educated and trust prius cause they have climbed the long hill and paid the price.

Once the public sees them everywhere, the car in essence becomes a moving advertisement.

9. strongbad

strongbad Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I agree. Lithium-ion batteries typically have 3 times the energy density of NiMH and a host of other advantages as well. Toyota still uses the nearly obsolete NiMH chemistry because they're trying to squeeze as much profit out of their engineering investment based on the legacy NiMHs. They can get away with this because there's no significant competition to force them to offer better value...yet.

austingreen likes this.
  10. Adam Leibovitch

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    How about outside the U.S?

11. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    It makes sense sticking with NiMH for maximum optimization. How else are they going to penetrate deep into the challenging sub-$20k market? The benefit of storage space is nice, as is the minor bump in HV efficiency. But cost is paramount.

We'll see availability of Li-Ion expand over time. Having it in two models of Prius already is undeniable proof that Toyota is real-world validating for next generation rollout potential.

As for calling NiMH obsolete, that doesn't make sense considering how common Lead-Acid batteries are still. For that matter, there are still some rechargable devices being sold with NiCad batteries.

It boils down to production & sales. That's the ultimate perspective check. Expanding the product-line is what's getting the most resources now... in a market heavily dominated by non-hybrid vehicles.

12. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    That's makes good sense John to a point. I know your extremely informed and I respect you as the chief prius guru due to your extensive history and very valuable writings that you make available to us all on your website.

But it seems It always cost to change form factors but tesla uses the very common 18650 lithium ion "up to 7000" total to give 85 kwh with 300 mile range for a nearly 5000 lb car or offerings as low as 40kwh. Heck I use those in most of my lights!

By making the battery warranty unlimited, as with the tesla premium models it takes away risk.... The point is they "are" available and they work. The small size of each cell bathed in refrigerant or heating liquid maintain optimal heat/cooling dispersion.

While Toyota has led the pack, there's nothing wrong in taking cues from someone who found a cheaper more robust way to do it.

Where it gets expensive is when they tool and die proprietary form factors.
    They must build the battery packs themselves "as tesla does" to keep cost down because it's too expensive to have others do it. "one reason government contracts are so rediculous"

I just get this sinking feeling like I get when I buy a computer and I know it's already obsolete when I walk out the door.

Heck I remember back when I bought my 2010 and I went to the Detroit debut. I was heart broken to find they had not moved to lithium.... 3 years later and they still haven't.

Guess I have to buy a pip or just suck it up and like it!

13. lensovet

lensovet former BP Brigade 207

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Lithium is not without issues. Keep in mind also that they have to provide an insane warranty on these cars. They are also a Japanese company, meaning that they are extremely conservative and have very long-range plans.
    Cost, of course, is an issue as well. They are a company and they have shareholders that they have to answer to. Can you really expect them to be a non-profit?
    The pip and the p+ (=European v) are basically guinea pigs right now. They are very low-volume cars. If things go well there, you can be sure that lithium will expand.
    I also think it's kind of silly to say that Prius is left behind in battery by other cars but not by anything else. These things don't exist in a vacuum. The pip is $7k cheaper than the volt despite having a bigger cabin, cargo space, and some nice electronic goodies. Toyota has to make money somewhere, so they put in a smaller battery. You can't have your cake and eat it too.

SJ PiP likes this.
  14. SJ PiP

SJ PiP Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    [email protected] likes this.
  15. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Let's compare.

A regular Prius has 99 lbs NiMH (1.31 kWh energy) HV battery rated at 27 kW power. That's 76 lbs per kWh or 3.7 lbs per kW.

PiP has 176 lbs Lithium (4.4 kWh energy) PHV battery rated at about 41 kW power. That's 40 lbs per kWh or 4.3 lbs per kW.

Lithium battery energy density is about 2 times of NiMh. However, NiMh can output more power per weight.

16. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Those cells don't meet specification for a PHV because a 4.4 kWh pack needs to provide 41 kW of power. That's about 10 C.

Tesla's 85 kWh pack is only 3.65 C because it is rated 310 kW of power. If you use them in PiP, a 4.4 kWh pack will dish out just 16 kW of power. That's lower than NiMh rated at 27kW.

Hybrids needs high power (low energy) cells. EVs need high energy (low power) cells.

Plugins need somewhere in the middle depending on the battery size.

High power Lithium will not have 3x the energy density as high power NiMh. It is more like 2x per my previous post.

Tracksyde likes this.
  17. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    You points are valid, but there are different paths to the same destination.

I just think the 18650 battery could be the key to successful long range abilities.

When I reviewed the tesla youtube video and saw that the battery bank is composed of many of those 18650 cells my first thought was "flashlight batteries... That's cheesy and looks homemade". But after seeing they control the manufacturing themselves and the QC, and that the small component was perfect for heat dispersion when bathed in coolant , I then felt better.
    Then I thought "7000 cells"?.... That's a lot of room for error, but then noticed they can offer unlimited warranty on the battery due to its simple and inexpensive form factor to fix should it fail.

I'm still not excited about that many cells, but any 85 kwh battery is gonna have a whopping # of cells or it will be proprietary and extremely" like military Level" expensive.
    Even a 1000 cells would be 8.5 kwh which is twice the size they currently have in their pip "4.4 kwh"

I respect that Toyota is often the laggard due to their high QC... Going cutting edge is risky, cause if something fails it tarnishes your good name.

Toyota has an excellent reputation because they thoroughly study an issue before jumping forward.

Toyota's boo boo with the gen 2 HID headlights frequently going out is a good example of bad technology they bailed an as they went back to Halogen for the gen3. It tarnished their name... But they had so many brownie points the public forgave them.

But so far the 18650 lithium cell seems to be a hit. They had a few issues with the roadster early on but now it's a go.

I don't know how much Toyota would want to charge to add lithium "the gen 2 battery case is already set up for it" to get more regen storage, more ev, and even greater get up and go performance, but if it has to be the same as the pip, then you might as well get a pip!

Toyota's present lithium is working for them but apparently is very expensive to manufacturer. Changing to the 18650 cells could change that unless their engineers won't consider it or think it a bad idea, or they just don't want to be a copy cat.

18. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  19. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Interesting indeed! Good job reading between the lines!
    The Toyota RAV4 EV - Wikipedia, the free encyclopediasecond gen rav 4-EV could be a winner! 100 mile range with a 41 kwh battery with a mpge rating that beats the pip by 5 points!

A prime example of what a larger battery can do with existing technology.

Makes you wonder what would happen if even half that was added to the pip?
    With light weight lithium they could do it.

Seems they are not messing with their bread and butter standard prius and adding their lithium to the other markets.
    Bummer....

20. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I do see there's lots of debate about thus issue Nickel Metal Hydride Batteries Outperform Existing LiIon Tech [Archive] - CleanMPG Forums

NiMh is more robust in some respects, but in others not.
    Real use is often different the partial facts.
    What I mean is, real life is physics, and it includes all the facts into real life experience, whereas its easy to get sidetracked with discussing facts on paper that do not.

I guess the properties we aren't talking about is that in order for toyota to not damage the NiMh, it can only charge to a portion of full and likewise on the discharge thereby shunting the batteries true abilities as we like to discuss on paper.
    The lithium is able to basically fully charge and a near full discharge thereby utilizing full abilities of the density of the battery.
    It also doesn't lose 20 percent of its charge the first day and 2-4 percent /day thereafter like NiMh.

All i know is I have tools... NiMh doesn't perform near as well as my lithium ion stuff.