1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is the Plug in Prius worth it for me?

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by Alice Mya, Aug 30, 2012.

1. Alice Mya

Alice Mya Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Is the plug in Prius worth it for me or should I just stick with the base model Prius?
    I drive about 12 miles a day but I don't really have any way to charge it at home or work, but I do have a charging station at school which I go to twice a week. Is it worth it in my scenario?
    Thanks in advance!

2. priuskitty

priuskitty PIP FAN

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    PlugShare - Find Charging Stations for Electric Cars!

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    nah. the thrill is in the charging and electric driving. twice a week will leave you wanting more! next thing you know, you'll be stealing your neighbors electricity!:p

4. Alice Mya

Alice Mya Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    lol sooo are they basically the same car but one has the ability to change with a plug in and go further on ev alone?
    I want a prius package 5 with advanced package or the plug in advanced but the plug in is a little pricey. not sure

JeffHastings likes this.
  5. priuskitty

priuskitty PIP FAN

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    who told?!?!?!?!?!:mad:

6. priuskitty

priuskitty PIP FAN

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    if you're only travelling 12 miles a day, a regular Prius would only give you 35mpg. I had a 2010 Prius, traveled 2.7 miles to work twice a week only got 35mpg. A plug in solves that problem for me.

7. Alice Mya

Alice Mya Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    thanks for the replies. good point on the base model Prius, a plug in would be awsome just not sure about the lack of plug ins in my area. decisions decisions. btw my current vehicle only get 15 mpg at the most lol

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    because of the larger battery and li-on tech, you probably get 10% better mileage, but that wouldn't justify the extra cost for most people.

9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    you might do a bit better with a 12 mile commute. mine is 14 and i got 50mpg in winter and 60 in summer with my genII 08. of course, that's an average including all my driving.:)

10. rcf@eventide.com

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The PiP is perfect for your scenario IF you can charge at least once every 12 miles. Most of my trips are between 2 and 10 miles, and I have gone weeks without using any gas at all. The Prius is at its worst on short trips such as your (I presume) two 6-mile daily trips. In short, if you can charge the car daily, you should get the PiP. <Heresy> If you can't, it almost doesn't matter what you get, since for the amout of driving you do, even the gas saving of the standard Prius will be unlikely to pay you anywhere near what you will save by saving a less expensive car. </Heresy>

Richard

11. Jimbo69ny

Jimbo69ny Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I didnt even read your first post but the answer is yes. Its always yes. Buy a PIP.

12. priuskitty

priuskitty PIP FAN

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    awwww......it looks like Jimbo69NY is drunk.....and I could use a drink, lol

13. Jimbo69ny

Jimbo69ny Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Scotch, Scotch, Scotch, down into my belly.

14. priuskitty

priuskitty PIP FAN

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    :coffee:

15. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    If you can only plug in twice a week, it's not worthwhile.

F8L likes this.
  16. Alice Mya

Alice Mya Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    well thanks everyone for your input, it helped cleared up a lot of questions I had. I think I'm going to stick with the Prius package 5 with at. if I did buy the Prius plug in I would need the expensive advanced model and need a solid way to charge it to make it worth my wild. ;)

17. slcMPG

slcMPG Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    No, stick with the Prius Liftback. Even if you can charge everyday you don't buy the PIP for economic reasons.

18. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney EditProfOptInfoCustomUser Title

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Oh wow, if you're going to get a 5 AT then go for the PIP. At least test one anyway. Or consider a Volt. Since you can charge at school you'd be able to build up a buffer to help you get more driving. Test the Volt and PIP.Oh stick. Never ,mind.

19. miscrms

miscrms Plug Envious Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Have to agree, if you can only charge twice a week a plugin is probably not for you. Regular Prius will be a huge improvement on what you're driving now. Plugin will make an incremental improvement, but hard to justify the cost if you're charging so infrequently.

Basically every time you use up the charge in the battery (~12-17 miles electric driving) you offset about 1/4 gallon of gas. If you only do this twice a week, that 1/2 gallon a week or 26 gallons a year. If you could do this every day, or better twice a day, then your talking 75-150 gallons a year. Even then it may not pay for itself vs the cost of the regular Prius, but its easier to justify the other non-financial benefits when it comes a little closer to paying for itself. Of course everyone has to make that call for themselves, in terms of the value of the benefits of using less gas vs. the cost difference.

Rob

20. lensovet

lensovet former BP Brigade 207

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm really confused, first you were comparing a base model Prius to a PiP, then decided to get a Package 5+AT because the PiP Advanced is too expensive??

First of all, as you can find in the forum, the base PiP is somewhere between a Package 3 and 4. Second, where are you located? In some states, PiP will give you access to the carpool lane even when driving alone, as well as incentive rebates that lower the price further.

What car do you have now? I find it hard to believe that you get 15 mpg. My 15-year-old Honda Accord, even when used only for short trips, would get more than 20 mpg.

Here's a comparison: let's say your current car gets 20 mpg. Let's say you live in California, where gas is now $4.20/gal. Your yearly mileage is under 4400. Your 20 mpg vehicle has an annual fuel cost of $900, a new Corolla will cost $550, a new PHV will cost $350, and the PiP would cost you ~$150 in electricity if you could charge it daily. Note the diminishing returns here. A souped up Corolla will still be cheaper than a Prius while costing only $200 more per year in fuel costs (which would probably be offset by a difference in the insurance cost). But if you're in a more "normal" state, the difference will be much less pronounced since gas will be cheaper.

At this low yearly mileage, don't choose a car based on fuel economy – choose it based on the amount of money you have and what's important to you to have in the car. I, personally, still haven't decided what I want more – a solar panel roof, which is only available on the PHV, or the ability to charge from a plug and accelerate harder in EV mode. Decisions, decisions…