1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is the Prius exterior self-cleaning?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Vincent Detour, Aug 5, 2017.

1. Vincent Detour

Vincent Detour Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    We bought our 2013 last fall, and having done a lot of highway driving through the Canadian winter and a wet spring, we've never washed the exterior, and yet it is spotless. It's been very dirty, but the dirt seems to always disappear on its own. It does have a clear plastic... decal/protector on the front end, maybe that helps?

Have we just been lucky? Or does the slick aero shape take the dirt away?

I've not owned a car in decades, could paint have improved for shedding dirt?

2. CNYhybrid

CNYhybrid Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I think you are just lucky. Or the clean fairies visit you each day. Wish they would find their way to my house.....:-(

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

AliPK, Johnny Cakes and Mendel Leisk like this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    mine stays pretty clean, except for the rear end, which tends to build up a lot of grime, and anything the tires throw up in bad weather. and squashed bugs/bird poop.

Kramah313 likes this.
  4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    We're low mileage, garage stored, and rarely if ever on dusty roads. But the car does gradually get dirty. I wax it spring and fall, and wash it 3~4 times in between.

What colour's yours? Ours is the silver, seems to not show the dirt much.

Cosmetic washing aside, you really should thoroughly wash occasionally, paying special attention to the wheel wells, and any corners where grit and winter salt might accumulate. Take off anything that's easy too, like the rear license plate, the black plastic spats at the leading edge of the rear wheel wells, clean in behind.

#4 Mendel Leisk, Aug 5, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2017
    AliPK and MilkyWay like this.
  5. eliteconcept

eliteconcept 700 mile club, top tank mpg 69.5

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    clean is a subjective term. I wash mine every week from about April though Oct, and then about once a month Nov though March. I drive about 80% interstate highway and after 1 week in the warm months it needs cleaned, it becomes a dingy white

6. BZzap!

BZzap! Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Try owning a " Winter Gray" car.

herqulees likes this.
  7. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'll see streaks on the A pillar and side of the front bumper from the "aero corners" but that's about it if I drive on the highway. If one drives only in the city, then it'll get dirty below the belt line like any other car.

I wax mine once a year at least (try to do twice a year) and try to claybar once a year as well.

8. taxidriver50005

taxidriver50005 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Excel
    Wow I wish they were self cleaning....I wash mine 4-5 times a week.....mind you I'm doing about 1200 miles a week

9. AliPK

AliPK Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    isn't Prius great.

10. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    You MUST mean running it through a car wash lol.

11. taxidriver50005

taxidriver50005 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Excel
    Nope always hand wash, sometimes twice a day depending on weather. Don't like driving dirty cars, doesn't look very professional

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  12. MelonPrius

MelonPrius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Summertime highway driving messes up my paint. I drove to California over the weekend and had to wash my car this morning. Lots of bug splats on the front grill. I used to drive through parts of Louisiana and Florida and there were these huge insects that loved to float headlight and windshield height off the highway, and after a few hours, I could barely see.

In the brutal desert sun, I wash weekly, combined with a spray wax. I wax with carnauba every 6 weeks because I read via CR and other articles that carnauba doesn't last very long. But I love the shine.

AliPK likes this.
  13. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

That is the best one I've heard this past week. But then I haven't yet watched the Colbert recordings from my absence.

If this is a serious question, then as a frequent traveler on dusty gravel and dirt roads, I can assure you that a Gen3 Prius, without aftermarket treatments, is NOT self cleaning. Mine is in serious need of a wash right now, mostly from a side trip up a very long Forest Service road to a hiking trail. At 7000 feet, it was an excellent respite from last week's oppressive heat in the lowlands. But quite dusty getting there.

#13 fuzzy1, Aug 6, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2017
    Mendel Leisk likes this.
  14. Jkan2001

Jkan2001 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Mine is a beater car so I never wash it so I guess it's self cleaning when it rains :)

15. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Not like this, though? haha

The ad has been modified. I don't know who the person with the glasses is who was inserted near the end of the ad.

AliPK likes this.
  16. RMB

RMB Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    In reference to your video, I did that earlier in the year, during the Bay Area's winter storm LOL. I let the heavy rain did the pre-soak, I applied car wash mit and soap, and again, the rain would rinse out the soap. All these while rain was pouring down. Of course, wearing a raincoat is recommended. :ROFLMAO:

IMG_2529.JPG

Tideland Prius and Mendel Leisk like this.
  17. tonycd

tonycd Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Washed my wife's this morning. I wish.

There are things called birds. I'm not going to elaborate on this part.

Overall, the vertical lower part of the back window seems especially prone to get dirty. And since it's the part of the back window that's easier to see through, that's a real inconvenience.

18. Vincent Detour

Vincent Detour Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Ha! OP here. It has been a very rainy spring and summer here in southern Ontario so I guess my self-cleaning car is just a fantasy.

Well, with all the incredible features and technology of this amazing machine, I would've been prepared to believe many things. "Oh yes, the Prius's aerodynamic shape literally sweep the dirt away!" Ha!

#18 Vincent Detour, Aug 8, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2017
  19. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    We could use some of that rain, over on the "wet" coast. I can barely remember the last time it rained, and it didn't amount to much. Quite smokey too, for maybe two weeks now.

20. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I own and have owned more than one, over time... black colored vehicle. I live in a rainy climate. But I have found if you make a minimal effort to keep the vehicle clean, and make sure it is protected with at least some type of wax, that the rain does indeed do a pretty good job of at least providing the illusion of being clean.

Sooner or later, and occasional bird bombs aside, you do have to simply clean the vehicle. But I do think rain...and aerodynamics can help extend that period.

I think the key, is having a newer vehicle with a new paint clear coat and/or having a good protective layer of wax.