1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is The Prius Losing Its Purpose?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by The Critic, Jul 10, 2011.

1. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I think tires ought to be checked about once a week. I keep a 7 gallon airtank in the garage for topping off the tires. With this Accord, not much topping off required. Uncanny how well Accord tires hold air.

I always found it a hassle to go to gas station in morning to check the tires. With an air tank (which is cheap setup, $20 or so from WalMart), you fill the tank once in a while, then top off the tires.

Subcompacts gaining on Prius? You mean a Ford Fiesta which might eeek out 35 MPG average, but is teeny weenie on this inside?

Fit, Fiesta, Mazda2, Civic, Mazda3, Corolla, etc, etc.... they all have less interior room than 3rd gen Prius. I'll bet you'd have to get lucky to have a 38 MPG average tank with one of those.

2. DaYooper

DaYooper Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I think you are right. The prius is losing it's purpose. That is why everybody on this forum gets close to 50mpg all the time and you consistently get 42-43. There is no value to the prius so you might a s well just junk yours. Really?

3. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The Critic is alright. He is just voicing his thoughts. I don't see a need to attack him. It's not like he is a random noob or troll who is trying to start trouble.

3 people like this.
  4. Dragonrider

Dragonrider New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    We've had our Gen III -IV Prius for 6 months now, and usually see 45ish MPG - no air, hasn't been that hot yet this year, but we do like the sunroof open.

It's an OK car, and easy to drive around town. On long trips, we take our 1 ton Ram truck @ 24 MPG on diesel.

The Prius is an econobox, with so-so comfort. Don't try to make it into something it's not. We bought it as an econobox. The only hybrid that I've ever driven that was fun to drive was a BMW 7 series hybrid in Germany. Unfortunately, it's not available in the US.

Now, of course, we are going to be taxed for having one - because we don't pay enough in gas taxes. Yes, really.

5. Insight-I Owner

Insight-I Owner 2006 Insight-I MT + 2011 Prius

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  6. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Please post your question in a Gen 2 area. As I said, I'm pretty sure that even touchscreen (aka nav equipped) Gen 3s don't have any trip computer functionality on the touchscreen. It's all part of the hybrid system indicator displays which are located higher up and operated via a few buttons.

7. Much More Better

Much More Better Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    There is a revolution going on towards fuel efficiency, alternative fuels, and smaller cars. Every marketing team is making fuel efficiency the number #1 tagline. Heck, even full-size pickups are battling on tv ads over who uses the least gas. Any manufacturer that wants to stay in business in 15 years is investing huge sums in R&D towards making not only their automobiles more efficient, but their entire production line as well. Toyota did it first. Now everybody is doing it. Losing its purpose? Nah. I think it's just getting started.

1 person likes this.
  8. revhigh

revhigh MPG Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Ooooooh boy !!

You are lucky our resident Prius V AT kool aid drinker has been suspended for a month or so, because you'd sure get an earful saying blasphemy like the above.

For the record, I completely agree with you. The Prius is a great car, but it is an econobox no matter the bells and whistles and technology you equip it with.

Some try to make you believe it's a luxury car just by virtue of having a few tech features.

Tha said .... it's a great economy car ... I've been averaging 48+MPG overall with a brand new engine bought in the middle of the winter. I'm super pleased.

REV

9. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    :nod:

10. Teakwood

Teakwood Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Right on!:pound::thumb:

11. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Just curious, with the numbers people are throwing out: is this calculated, or what the car is saying. It bugs me that the car's numbers are off, on the rosy side, but close enough that it's easy to just slip into quoting them.

A quick and dirty calc I use that's pretty accurate is take the liters/100km the car tells me and add 0.3. I believe the mpg equiv would be to subtract around 3.

12. revhigh

revhigh MPG Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    My MPG equivalent correction is to subtract 1.7 - 2.2. So .... subtract roughly 2.0 from the computer's guess.

REV

13. revhigh

revhigh MPG Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    My MPG equivalent correction is to subtract 1.7 - 2.2. So .... subtract roughly 2.0 from the computer's guess. This is over 10K miles and 29 fillups.

REV

14. radiocycle

radiocycle Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    And fuel savings is not the ONLY reason to drive a Prius! It's the cleanest car on the road (apart from all EV) and that is reason enough to buy a Prius... It's not just all about one's wallet!

1 person likes this.
  15. revhigh

revhigh MPG Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
  16. Sporin

Sporin Prius Noob

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    It's also, in my opinion, a really good "car" regardless of the MPG. Compact exterior, midsize interior, hatchback, lots of tech and amenities, cheap insurance (will vary), looks great (imo)etc.

We are really happy with it as a family daily driver/commuter car. The fact that it gets mid-40's+ MPG every tank is icing on the cake.

1 person likes this.
  17. vinnie97

vinnie97 Whatever Works

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    What about short trips and driving slow, slightly wider mpg gap? ;)

18. billnchristy

billnchristy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    There are a few guys getting over 50mpg calculated tanks in Fiestas. They would probably get 70mpg in a Prius, but that is another matter entirely.

...the more you know...

19. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
  20. Corwyn

Corwyn Energy Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    No to mention a badly phraseed question that would get tossed out of any survey class.