1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is the Prius Prime right for me?

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by xdriv3, Feb 18, 2017.

1. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Except that it's potentially cheaper to buy with the US federal and state credits.

The Prius Two starts at $24,685. The Prius Prime Plus starts at $27,100. With just the federal $4,500, it's down to $22,600 equivalent cost. Add in the NY state incentive and it's just about the same as a mid-range Corolla. And it has more features than the base Prius (like standard dual-stage heated front seats, LED indicators and a 7" LCD with Entune Premium Audio w/ nav versus the Prius Two's 6.1" Entune Audio)

heiwa and Mendel Leisk like this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    all depends on local discounts.

3. drash

drash Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Supposedly it's a $2,000 rebate, but hasn't been implemented yet. NYSERDA has until this April 15th to implement it.

Unsupervised!

4. EV-ish

EV-ish Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    I have a similar commute -- 90 miles.

In your case, the first 25 miles will be EV and the 75 miles remainder at ~ 55 mpg, or more if you drive under 70 mph. So the 100 miles will use 75/55 = 1.36 gallons. Compare that to the 4 gallons you consume today.

5. Pdxprimeguy

Pdxprimeguy Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I save over $200 a month in gas now days vs my 19 mpg SUV. I don't miss my SUV too much. And I love the adaptive cruise control for my long trips.

jerrymildred likes this.
  6. mr88cet

mr88cet Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    FWIW, in our case, the difference in mileage against our current car, a Gen-2 Prius, while not insignificant, is not a big factor. We're getting a P.Prime due to a combination of factors, especially: My wife is working on getting her driver's license, so we need a second car ("new first" car actually), our Gen-2 is at over 126Kmiles, I'm now driving ~40 miles round-trip to work which will clobber the Gen-2's remain lifespan in no time, I like driving on electric a lot more than ICEs, and with the additional miles to/from work, the chances of me getting into a wreck go up, so I really want all these new safety features.

iPhone ? Pro

jerrymildred and bwilson4web like this.
  7. xdriv3

xdriv3 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Looks like it's official. This starts beginning of April!

iPhone ?

8. MikeDee

MikeDee Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    The thing you should ask is if you have (or will have) access to cheap power. If not, get the liftback because it will cost you more to plug in than to gas up because the Prius gets such good gas mileage. Seriously, do some analysis on your power bill and rate options. If you are on a tiered rate schedule, plugging in will probably put you into the next higher tier. For me, that was a brutal $.40/kwh. I then installed solar, but probably would have switched to an EV time of use schedule if I didn't, but that would have upped my power costs during the day but would have been better than the tiered schedule. Anyway, look for one or more threads on this. Also, with the Prime, you give up the 5th seating position, spare tire, rear wiper, and some luggage space over the liftback.

#28 MikeDee, Mar 5, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2017
  9. mr88cet

mr88cet Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    That's a very reasonable suggestion. In my case, even in the second tier, it's still slightly cheaper, but that's before Austin's $50/year charging program around town, after which it's … about half the cost of gas.

Truthfully though, I want to go EV as much as possible simply because I've rather gotten to dislike ICEs: they're heavy, complicated, noisy, high-maintenance...

iPhone ? Pro