1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is the transaxle side dust cover necessary on CV axle?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Samuraidog, Aug 2, 2020.

1. Samuraidog

Samuraidog Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've been googling for hours looking for the answer to this question, but I can't find anything relevant.

I replaced the passenger side CV axle on my 2009 Prius. After installation, I noticed the new CV axle does not have the metal dust cover at the end of the axle on the transaxle side. Is this a necessary component? In other words, will the transaxle seal be compromised with this metal dust cover missing?

I called the dealer, and they said there are only a handful of these metal dust covers in the entire United States. Should I try to order one and redo the entire job, or just let it be without the dust cover?

Thank you.

2. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Never seen that on my 07. I know the rubber boots must be on both cj joints or they wont last long.

Could you take a picture of the area in question I would like to see that.

Go on a toyota dealer parts online site and show us what its missing. Snip it and send it..

3. Samuraidog

Samuraidog Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  4. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That must be under the rubber boot at the transaxle input. Protects the seal?

You must have used a non oem cv joint, lots of people on this site have had poor luck with those but the oem ones are very expensive I hear.

5. Samuraidog

Samuraidog Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    This part is not associated with the rubber boot at all. It is a good three or four inches away from the rubber boot. It is merely a cover to protect the transaxle seal from dust/debris. As is shown in the diagram in the link I provided above, this metal dust cover slides over and past the splines on the end of the drive shaft on the transaxle box side.

For the new CV axle, I used an OEM remanufactured part, so it is 100% OEM design. The new CV axle works great so far. No clicking or any other issues.

I'm just wondering whether I should leave everything as is (without dust cover attached) and hope that the integrity of the transaxle seal stays in tact, or if I should disassemble the entire unit, install the metal dust cover on the end of the CV axle, and then reassemble and refill the transmission fluid.

6. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Seems like you know everything about to bad you left it off.

7. Samuraidog

Samuraidog Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I only learned about this stuff because of this repair project. I had no idea about any of it until a week or two ago.

8. BlueAvenger

BlueAvenger Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    and you don't?

It is a metal dust seal pressed into the steering arm to keep dirt and mud away from the wheel ABS sensor. You can run with out it as I am going to likely do, not being able to find a replacement. Damaged original getting a socket into the hub bolts. Now it will not stay in place.
    If i get an ABS warning, it will be the first place I will check