1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is the V suspension different? C&D says yes..

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Bruno_S, Jun 20, 2009.

1. Thai

Thai Prius Neophyte

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Well, the easiest way to find out definitively is call your local Toyota parts department and look up the Parts # to the shocks of a Prius V vs. Prius II-IV. If the parts number is the same, then there is no difference. I would also look up parts number for the springs too.

If i have time today at work, then i will do it.

2. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I'm not sure what that is, but according the Prius team all U.S.-based Prius have the European-tuned suspension.

3. Thai

Thai Prius Neophyte

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Ok...quite interesting. I called my local Toyota Parts Department. When he looked up in his computer, there are TWO different shock parts number DEPENDING ON TIRE SIZE! My 17" rim shocks have a different part number than a 15" rim shocks. His computer also shows different parts number for the SPRINGS depending on tire size!

Now, can someone else call their Toyota parts department to confirm?? Or is my guy just blowing hot air? I asked him specifically many times during our conversation to confirm what he is saying.

So, i guess C&D is right??

4. Thai

Thai Prius Neophyte

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Ok, i called another Toyota parts department and got the SAME ANSWER! There are two different sets of springs and shocks for 2010 Prius depending on tire size.

5. Thai

Thai Prius Neophyte

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Anyone else confirm this? So, does the V have the "sports suspension" as compared to the other levels, resulting in what some of us observed as the V having sportier handling capability? This type of suspension differences is kind of like Camry XLE/LE vs. SE. If so, then the Level V should be renamed as having a "sports package" because it involves more than just suspension tuning (e.g. steering is sportier).

Or are the different springs and shocks due to the heavier rims/tires? In other words, could the difference in weight of the tire/rim combo result in the need for different springs and shocks to maintain the same ride quality as the other levels? If so, then Toyota has really gone out of their way to maintain a good ride! Either way, i think that it is a "win-win" situation for us V owners. :)

Anyone from Prius Team help us out??

6. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Good work Thai. I think you are right.

+1 to the request.

7. Thai

Thai Prius Neophyte

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Just thinking out loud...I understand that maybe different shock valving for the slightly heavier 17" rim/tire, but different springs too??!! The more that i think about it, the more that i believe (maybe forcing myself to believe!) that Toyota meant the V to be the "Touring" model among the Prius lineup. Why else can you explain the sportier steering and 17" rim/tire combo? Sportier springs and shocks would make sense to be included.

Wishful thinking?

8. FEINT

FEINT New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    IN Japan, the Prius which comes with 17" rims is called "Touring Package" and according to Toyota Catalogue and website, it has Tuned Suspension.

toyota.jp/prius/spec/equipment/index.html

The first from the LEFT is G Package Leather Touring Package, G Touring Package, G, S touring Package, S and L. The Touring and Leather packages have 17" rims and Tuned SUspension.

専用チューンドサスペンション Tuned Suspension (6th item down on the list)

I am not too sure about the US models, but just thought would share that the PRIUS has two different kinds of suspension.

1 person likes this.
  9. Thai

Thai Prius Neophyte

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    FEINT, it makes sense. Very cool. Thanks.