1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is the War on Terror Good for the USA?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by dbermanmd, Oct 18, 2006.

1. VinceDee

VinceDee Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Oct 18 2006, 08:48 AM) [snapback]334472[/snapback]</div>

lol...okay, I see. This was my first experience with dbermanmd so I didn't realize that he was just a troll. So I can pretty much just ignore his posts from now on, it seems.

BTW, you might want to check out politicalcrossfire.com if all you really want to do is stir up sh!t, dbermanmd. Especially if your goading starts to lose it's effect here on PC. :lol:

Cya

Vince

2. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(rudiger @ Oct 18 2006, 06:54 PM) [snapback]334800[/snapback]</div>
    OK, everybody, on three: Berman on ignore!

Dave? Dave's not here. :)

3. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Stev0 @ Oct 18 2006, 04:17 PM) [snapback]334692[/snapback]</div>
    You have yet to provide evidence the Iraq War is a financial burden for the US.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jared2 @ Oct 18 2006, 04:27 PM) [snapback]334698[/snapback]</div>
    Still have not answered one of the questions - you are being cute, but not intelligent here. Try giving us an answer.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Dragonfly @ Oct 18 2006, 04:41 PM) [snapback]334713[/snapback]</div>

still waiting for your evidence - prove the war in Iraq is a financial burden, then try answering the question above instead of leveling personal attacks.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(VinceDee @ Oct 18 2006, 07:11 PM) [snapback]334810[/snapback]</div>
    No problem Vince. You should try relying on your own experiences to provide yourself with enough information to make your own decisions regarding things rather than relying on others.

And if you choose to ignore, it is easiest by truly ignoring rather than by not ignoring and posting - if you want to accept my advice :D

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Pinto Girl @ Oct 18 2006, 05:28 PM) [snapback]334738[/snapback]</div>
    Why are we paying them for our oil?

4. Proco

Proco Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Oct 19 2006, 07:38 AM) [snapback]334965[/snapback]</div>
    Um ... you didn't ask for just evidence in your initial post about the war being a financial burden. You asked, and I quote (bold face is mine) ...
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Oct 17 2006, 03:06 PM) [snapback]334052[/snapback]</div>
    People offered their thoughts and reasons. You asked for opinions or facts. They gave opinions and you dismiss them by saying they offered no facts. Do you want to have a discussion or just be right?

And before you ask, my opinion on the war is irrelevant to what I just posted.

5. dragonfly

dragonfly New Member

Who are you talking to? Did somebody say something? Hey, aren't we supposed to be missing you while you're in Boston?

6. Three60guy

Three60guy -->All around guy<-- (360 = round) get it?

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I apologize for giving a serious posting earlier. I am concluding that other than Dragonfly no one has looked at the Power of Nightmares documentary. That is too bad because if you were able to take the time much of everyones questions about terrorism would be answered. In fact I would love to see if anyone disagreed with the film. But this is a hybrid forum not a political one. Hope you learned something Dragonfly after seeing the last episode. That last one is really a good one.

Cheers

7. dragonfly

dragonfly New Member

I haven't gotten through Episode II yet - went to bed in the middle. I'll get back to it tonight. Awesome documentary! I do have questions, but I'm going to wait until I get all the way through to ask them, since they may get answered along the way.

8. Three60guy

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    10-4. Standing by.

9. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You know, I think the war on "terror" would be good for us as a country if we actually took the time to engage in public discourse with open minds and use it as an opportunity to increase communication between the disparate factions...and come to a conclusion that might be a compromise, but one that a greater majority of us might be able to take ownership of.

This 'either/or' dynamic that we're being forced into is simply the work of public officials who seek to manipulate the populus with fear, shame, and guilt.

Three extremetly negative emotions.

10. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Pinto Girl @ Oct 20 2006, 04:45 PM) [snapback]335819[/snapback]</div>
    Oh my goodness! What are you saying? Have you any idea what you're asking for? Everyone exploring all the options, making up our own minds, and having an equal say? This would be - I can hardly utter the words - Freedom! Democracy! Your government has worked very hard to avoid this. Don't spoil it now. :blink: ;)

11. Jeannie

Jeannie Proud Prius Granny

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hyo silver @ Oct 20 2006, 04:59 PM) [snapback]335825[/snapback]</div>
    Laughing to cover the pain. :(

12. airportkid

airportkid Will Fly For Food

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Three60guy @ Oct 19 2006, 09:48 AM) [snapback]335103[/snapback]</div>
    I watched it the minute your post showed up, and was amazed at how much I hadn't known, even after having read (literally) a stack of books 5 feet high across the last 6 years about all this. What's particularly frightening is how HARD one has to work here in the "uncensored" USA to get anything even slightly resembling a full story. Notice also how much more "grown-up" that documentary assumes its audience is, compared to how US audiences are regarded by US media producers.

Thanks very much for the link.

One has to wonder, where Dr. Berman so meticulously and thoroughly responds in other threads he's instigated (putting aside the vicious tone and specious logic of his responses), why he is so strangely absent in this one, even to wield his usual chainsaw butchery of reply (I love how he ruthlessly cuts down a dense forest of facts by referring to them as "obfuscation" - and he's right, after a fashion: they are as dense as a forest, solid as Sequoia, and obstruct his view of a fantasy).

Mark Baird
    Alameda CA

13. dragonfly

dragonfly New Member

Cool Mark! We have a discussion going in another thread in FHOP, you might want to join in, titled "Power of Nightmares".

14. Three60guy

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    It suddenly dawned on me that there is a lack of discussion about this subject because of "fear". Fear that the government might come down on this as some weird conclusion we are traitors. But think about it, this is exactly what they want us to think. I am really surprised we haven't had more discussion about this here.

If anyone does have some fear just get those streaming videos working and look at the 3 part program listed above. It will be clear, especially in part 3 that terrorism is given the air time on radio and television because the subject matter raises ratings. We have always had people who have had evil intentions but to now conclude that it is a network of people organized to take us out is a real stretch. Just ask yourself who benefits. Look at the who is saying "a vote for us is a vote for your safety". They are merely creating self benefiting fear.

What has occurred is to put these crazy extremists in the middle east on a pedestal and the media really helped with that one. The more the media does this the more our politicians say they want to protect us from them.

Anyone agree? disagree?

15. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Three60guy @ Oct 20 2006, 11:45 PM) [snapback]336001[/snapback]</div>
    If you think that, you've given up before you've even tried. Freedom of Speech is vital to democracy. These are your rights, people! Use them or lose them.

16. ditto231

ditto231 New Member

Any war is NOT a good war. People die, people suffer. But this is one we have to be in and we have to win. For many many years... we have ignore them. But now they come over here. Remember the thousands of people at ground zero. There are still remains that we still trying to clean up. Do you already forgot what happen 9/11 ?????

17. Three60guy

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hyo silver @ Oct 20 2006, 11:06 PM) [snapback]336007[/snapback]</div>
    hyo I was referring to the intimidation factor this government has over us right now. Bush saying if you aren't with us you are against us. Remember the Joe McCarthy era? That is what I was referring to. I posted about the "Power of Nightmares" so it would open a door so people would understand the bigger picture. This issue is not an easy one to grab onto. But thank goodness we have the Internet which allows us access to a program which sheds light on this subject. Even the networks are intimidated and wont air it. This is discussed in the other thread here with the title "Power of Nightmares".

ditto, I certainly have not forgotten 9/11. But if you believe the way to deal with this issue is to go after a phantom enemy then you do not understand why I am saying the things I do. See the link to the video at the top of the "Power of Nightmares" thread. Spend three hours looking at it (3 one hour programs) and I am quite sure you will understand my comments much better.

We all need to see this program.

18. dragonfly

dragonfly New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ditto @ Oct 23 2006, 01:17 PM) [snapback]336867[/snapback]</div>
    Ditto, there is no connection between 9/11 and Iraq. Even the President admits that.

19. ditto231

ditto231 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Dragonfly @ Oct 23 2006, 03:57 PM) [snapback]337057[/snapback]</div>
    Oh, how do you say that... Ain't we fighting Al Quada now in Iraq?

20. dragonfly

dragonfly New Member

Well, we killed Zarqawi in June. He was the real problem. According to Wikipedia, in the 5 months before Zarqawi's death, 378 people were killed by "Al Qaede in Iraq". In the 5 months after, only 58. The vast majority of those who they kill are Iraqis. The stated goal of "Al Qaeda in Iraq" is to get the U.S. troops out of Iraq. Most Iraqis want this. By us being there, we are making things worse for them. It doesn't make sense for us to be there.

Please do watch the Power of Nightmares.