1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is the wireless charger working for anyone?

Discussion in 'Gen 5 Prius Main Forum' started by mannymendez25, May 17, 2023.

1. Adam R Cohen

Adam R Cohen New Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    My iPhone 13Pro does not charge at all, ever. Even without a case on. I gave up.

2. HacksawMark

HacksawMark Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    What lights do you see in the charging slot when you insert the phone?

3. kellyj

kellyj Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    yep same issue - s24 ultra - gets too hot constantly

4. Sharol

Sharol Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    It is about the same with both my husband's Samsung 10e and my Samsung 20. We use the charge plug (to the right of the data cable) to charge the phone that is wirelessly connected to AA.

kellyj likes this.
  5. kellyj

kellyj Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    Carbon case here no luck

6. Zeromus

Zeromus Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    SE
    Personally I always found regardless of the phone and whether it was in a case or not, that wireless charging has always made my phone get hot. Part of the reason why I actually like not having the wireless charger.

The phone will also warm up when using features like GPS and wireless AA/Carplay.

any phone case will also make it harder for the phone to cool itself down since there's an insulating layer on the thing - made worse if its a drop protective case with rubber+plastic layer. Made worse by the wireless charger slot being a largely enclosed space in the car, and with a tighter fit with less airflow with the case on as another layer of heat insulation. And if you have any sort of metal anything near the wireless charging zone it will make the heat generation much worse since a magnetic field is used to transfer the energy

Reminds me of when it was super common to have shelving for TV audio receivers and set top boxes with doors and semi-open backs. If the space is just too small (even if the thing would technically fit) then heat would cause problems.

Phones will shut down certain features - like wireless charging - when they get too hot to protect themselves. Its a common issue among a lot of cars from what I've seen with these kinds of charging slots. Hopefully one day car manufacturers add a small fan to these slots to circulate air and help reduce heating issues.

kellyj likes this.