1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is there a delay when the ABS/VSC/BRAKE light comes on and when the ABS system fails? I

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Naskaf1, Nov 10, 2022.

Tags:
  1. Naskaf1

Naskaf1 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Basically driving yesterday and car started making a loud beeping noise and the ABS/VSC/BRAKE light came on. I didnt really notice any braking difference. I kept on driving and the red triangle light came on also the Battery Light and Car with Exclamation mark on screen display. Then after I continued to drive the the car lights got dim and car shut off. I restarted it and all lights on dash were gone.and drove home with no issues. Then I ran my scanner and only code I got was P0420 ( which has been on for a few weeks). Currently there are no lights on dash and the car is running fine.

2. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Not all scanners are hybrid compatible, try finding a better OBD2 scanner. Visit all of the auto parts stores for free scans, see if any of the local mechanics will scan it, or maybe one of the stealerships can help retrieve the stored OBD2 codes. Don't clear the stored codes.

3. Naskaf1

Naskaf1 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I have a veepeak and dr prius app

4. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Those lights coming on even the one time and after that restart gone should have set codes in the eProm or wherever they go for somebody to retrieve because you're not seeing them doesn't make them not there like everybody is said you may just want to have somebody with a more capable set up Go over it quickly and see what they come up with because there's going to be something besides the 0420 for the low catalyst threshold because of what happened two or three or five starts ago unless the problem literally has vanished I guess the codes may not be there it's possible generally my little cheap in Nova brand scanner has been able to get all the p codes and most of the ABS codes out of my Prius without a problem even though I own a more capable setup I use this a lot because it works and it's quick no laptop no lugging anything heavy etc. If something really has me stumped and I'm not thinking I'm getting what I need from the innova I get out the laptop with tech on it and that's become pretty rare

5. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Dr Prius is a decent app for monitoring battery data, but it is very limited. It can only pull codes from the ECM and some hybrid control or high voltage battery codes. There are a dozen more ecu's it can't talk to.

Here's a thread that reviews scantool apps and devices.
    https://priuschat.com/index.php?posts/3290690

You can also retrieve some codes from the braking system by carefully connecting the 2 correct pins on the OBD connector, then turning the car ignition ON, and counting which lights flash how many times. Search the forums for "flash codes".

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

6. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Dr Prius is one of the apps known to be highly incomplete in what trouble codes it will show you. It will pretty much only show you engine codes, and HV control or battery codes (which it mixes up).

We have a thread that reviews various other apps and shows which ones will work better. Some of them may (I'm not sure) also work with the veepeak dongle you already have.

Gen2 OBD2 app review | PriusChat

Brake system codes (all of the codes behind the three warning lights you mention) can also be read with no scan tool at all, using a jumper wire between the Tc and CG terminals at the diagnostic port, and counting the blinks of those lights. So even if you don't yet have a scan tool that can show you those codes, that doesn't have to slow you down in finding out what the issues are.

Lots of posts around here have more details on how to do that. Here's a recent good one.

It's hard to give any general answer about a "delay before failure" without codes, because there are a couple hundred different reasons those lights can be on, and they don't all mean the ABS system is going to fail or that it's going to fail in the same way.