1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is there a difference in pickup between the 2006 and 2005 Prius?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by odysseus, Dec 9, 2009.

1. odysseus

odysseus Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I've been test-driving used Priuses ... the 2005 models always seem more sluggish than the 2006. Is this just a subjective impression or was some aspect of the drive train improved between 2005 and 2006?

2. firepa63

firepa63 Former Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The power plant in the 05 nad 06 are the same. The main difference is with the MFD. It is high resolution on the 06 if it's equipped with NAV.

3. odysseus

odysseus Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks. I haven't seen the MFD with NAV on the 2006, but the interface (i.e. graphics) looked somewhat different as compared to the 2005.

Here's another question: a local dealer is selling a 2006 Prius (certified) with 63K miles, leather, side airbags and roof airbags, and the rear backup camera, for $15,500. Sounds pretty good, doesn't it? Unfortunately, it's black, and I live in Texas.

Should I still give the car serious consideration?

4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    http://priuschat.com/forums/knowled...andard-optional-equipment-some-countries.html

Changes:
    - Advanced Front Airbag System (w/ Occupant Detection System)
    - Tire pressure monitoring system
    - Tinted headlight covers
    - Chrome grille
    - Chrome LED brakelight compound
    - HYBRID emblem
    - New dashhboard/door capping material
    - Rear seat lowered by one inch
    - Engine ECU updated (for TRAC)
    - 4 new colors - Classic Silver Metallic, Magnetic Grey Pearl, Barcelona Red Metallic, Silver Pine Mica
    - Higher resolution screen for models with backup camera

Clay Wells likes this.
  5. odysseus

odysseus Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  6. don_chuwish

don_chuwish Well Seasoned Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Just a tip, don't read too much into "Certified". I don't think they really put much effort into 'certifying' a vehicle. Like any insurance, they're betting on coming out ahead in increased price vs cost/effort put in. When you go to close the sale they'll also try to upsell an extended warranty that covers all that "Certified" doesn't, and it's quite a bit. I'm not saying don't buy it or anything, but it would be best to understand your third party extended warranty options and costs before getting in the room to close the sale. Voice of experience!

- D

7. odysseus

odysseus Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks -- "certified" at least means that one doesn't have to have the car checked by a mechanic before buying, doesn't it?

8. don_chuwish

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    That's up to you. But my 2007 was Certified and wasn't properly aligned. I called and they said they wouldn't have checked alignment unless they had reason to believe it was a problem. Also, two TSBs hadn't been done that needed it:
    TSB-0087-08 "Abnormal Noise from Coolant Heat Storage Water Pump"
    TSB-AU004-07 "Noise from AUX port"
    The dealer service department took care of both without blinking an eye, but I would have expected them to be done as part of certification. Guess not!

- D

9. odysseus

odysseus Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    This is kind of silly. Your car's alignment was off and two TSBs hadn't been done, but at least there weren't any major problems, right? That's what I think the value of being "certified" is.

How did you discover the TSBs?

10. don_chuwish

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I discovered the TSBs in PriusChat and recognized the problems in my car. Point being that they didn't really put a lot of effort into the certification process. But yes, it does provide some extended coverage just in case.

- D

11. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That I'm not sure but if there's a smaller person or child sitting there, it will deploy anyway.

My take on "advanced" just means the occupant sensor.

12. spitinuri

spitinuri Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius

Really Certified is probably overused. It's a way to jack the price up on the vehicle. In order to be certified the dealer has to perform an inspected (which can be fudged or not done at all) and pay Toyota a fee of $500. This essentially allows the car to be warrented differently than a standard used car.

The real benefit is to the dealer who will charge $1500-$2500 more because it's certified.

My car was certified. I trusted the dealer. I later found out it had been in a collision. Carfax did not show it. I noticed the drivers side doors had been reskinned and the quarter panel and bumber appeared slightly off allignment. An inspection of the service records (always request) showed that this work was done.

Needless to say I still bought the car, but at a lower price.

13. odysseus

odysseus Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm looking at a certified 2006 right now. When I was driving it, a fair amount of rattling came from what seemed like the right side. I was going to give up on the car, but when I looked under the cargo area, I discovered that the spare tire was incorrectly installed.

I worry about a prior accident as well. Carfax shows nothing, and I called the (other) dealer that serviced the car, and it was maintained regularly, but there's a gap in the maintenance :(

14. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm interested in how that works because my September build 2005 has an occupant sensor. If I put something heavy (10lbs+?) in the passenger seat the red occupant light on the dash will blink.

15. Priusfromevil

Priusfromevil Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I would still keep looking. I spent a long time researching (6 mos) but it paid off as I found an '06 with 39K miles loaded (leather, back up, fogs, nav, etc) for $15,000 (tax, title, license extra). It is Certified as well.

Plus this is in south Florida where traditionally I've found car prices are higher than usual.

I didn't believe the salesman when I asked what the difference is for a Certified vehicle, he told me it was chosen from the time it was built to be a Certified vehicle. Like it was a birth right. :confused: Can't stand car salesmen.

16. Ophbalance

Ophbalance Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Same here.

17. don_chuwish

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Nice catch! Been watching "AutoTrader" on TV? ;-)

18. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

Ok fine.. for the airbag :p. It'll know whether to deploy the airbag or not with that amber AIRBAG ON or AIRBAG OFF light.

19. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    So does mine have that advanced feature (like the 2006) or not. I just gotta know man! :p

20. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    No. It just has the seatbelt warning (which does come with a chime which is disabled by default on our cars but enabled on newer Toyota models).

2006+ models have the occupant detection system (For the airbag). Any car that has it will have an AIRBAG ON/OFF light in amber regardless of manufacturer. It's kind of annoying because the light is on regardless of whether it the airbag is enabled or disabled.

Guess they can't have it on only when the airbag is disabled so that they can minimise lawsuits (I didn't know the airbag would kill my child. You said it could detect small children).