1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is there a fix for the LED headlight" chi headlight system" error????

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by sfv41901, Feb 3, 2014.

1. sfv41901

sfv41901 Masta S

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I have a buddy who is going to remove his LED headlights & do a full HID retro. Only problem is that the car has a system check & throws a flashing yellow triangle. Does anybody know how to trick the system?

There are 6 wires on the LED headlight harness.

12v + headlight ballast
    12v - headlight ballast
    12v + side marker
    12v + parking light
    12v - shared between side marker & parking light
    The 6th wire is unknown which I assume is for the system chk......it's about 0.6v

Any clues????

VS980 4G ?

2. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Wow, did you tell your buddy that people spend bucks doing the opposite? That is going from halogen or HID to LED? :)

SCH-I535

3. sfv41901

sfv41901 Masta S

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Yes I did but his a complete HID nut.

4. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    You would probably have to take a look at the schematic for the headlight circuit for the LED system to figure it out.

SCH-I535

5. -1-

-1- Don

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    :confused:Going from NEW technology to OLD? Doesn't makes sense. When the error light, he should rethink his strategy.

6. sfv41901

sfv41901 Masta S

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Yeah but he's an older fellow who stuck in his ways.

Dies anybody have the diagrams?

VS980 4G ?

7. roger32

roger32 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    What you have to do is check the draw for the on the LED headlight and compare it to the Halogen headlight. you are going to have to add some resistor to it to trick the system in to think that it is still using the LED headlight.

8. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    LEDs draw very little current, if any. Your best bet is to use a relay to run the HIDs. Since a relay is designed kind of like a current amplifier I think that would be the best shot at removing the error light.

SCH-R530M ?

9. sfv41901

sfv41901 Masta S

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Thx guys. I did install a relay harness however there is still the blue wire which I think is the wire that is causing the error light. It's seems to be a wire that sends a signal to the BCM letting it know that the ballast is working & LEDs are drawing current. I just haven't figured out what I can do to replicate the signal.

10. macman408

macman408 Electron Guidance Counselor

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    My guess would be that the mystery wire is for the headlight leveling system, and it expects the motor to be there. Maybe it's possible to remove the Headlight Leveling ECU, which appears to be what triggers the message, without any adverse effects?

11. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Since you're going to disassemble the harness anyways: remove/disable the pin of concern and check function...

SCH-R530M ?

12. sfv41901

sfv41901 Masta S

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I did that before I unplugged the LED headlights. As long as the headlight leveling module is unplugged there is no warning. The warning appears only when the headlights are unplugged.

13. sfv41901

sfv41901 Masta S

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I removed the blue wire from the headlight connector & kept the headlight plugged in. When I turned on the headlights, the error popped up. When I inserted the blue wire, the error went away. The blue wire measures 0.6 volts when the headlights are on.

14. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    0.6 V is very little. What's the voltage when the headlights are off?

Standard TIS is $15 for two days. Not too bad....

Otherwise I'd say try to use an oscilloscope to see. The little green DRL relay outputs a square wave to the DRLs....

(Didn't realize I've jumped from my usual Prius v section. Does his model have DRLs?...)

Now that I think about it where's the high beam signal?

15. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I'm no EE, but perhaps you can use something like this buck converter:

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=300863938609

It's a bare board, so you'll need to put it in an enclosure/project box for sure. Also, the minimum output voltage isn't 0.6v, so you might need to put a resistor on the output to get the 0.8v down to 0.6v

Hopefully, an EE or knowledgeable electronics hobbyist will chime in.

SCH-I535

16. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I had another thought. There is a very small wire behind the dashboard, on the driver's side that is hot when the parking/headlights are on. It is the same brown wire mentioned in the oem foglight installation instructions.

This wire is very thin gauge, probably 24 gauge, so it carries low current. Don't know what the voltage is though, perhaps you could measure it? If it is usable, tap into it and run a wire out to the engine compartment to provide the signal you need to prevent the error light.

SCH-I535

17. jhinsc

jhinsc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    sfv, are you doing the swap for your "buddy", or are you the "older fellow stuck in your ways"? LOL I can't imagine the benefits of HID over LED's unless you're going for more light output.

18. sfv41901

sfv41901 Masta S

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four

Haha......it's not for me. I have the Prius G HID Headlights.

[​IMG]

19. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    EE, I'm not, but CECS student, or more specifically EECS student, I was, and I can tell you my EE101/EE102 project had a whole lot more wires than this. I've been waiting for a practicing EE to chime in, but I guess I'm the best you got right now. xl knows his stuff, maybe/probably even more than I....

I see the CTS in the background. If you pop the hood I'll be able to tell whether that's a real V or not. My parents' have a '10, which didn't come with a Rear View Camera. Maybe I should be asking you for help!!! I'm not good at soldering, otherwise I'd probably take on more. It's funny though, the repair wiring info/part numbers from Toyota has/have information on crimp connectors, which I've had experience using before, sometimes bad experience. (Sorry, no current TIS subscription, just from past searching...)

Yes, the LED system in the v doesn't seem to be as bright as my experience with HIDs, at least OEM HIDs.

You sure 0.6V DC is the signal you want to produce? Resistors in series can probably get you down to 0.6V if that's what you really want. xl found a very interesting DC-DC converter. To my less experienced eye it's just plain resistors in series/voltage divider.... Probably best to check TIS info to be sure what you are looking at. For example, I was researching Prius v DRLs. I found the wiring diagram, but couldn't figure out what exactly was going on. I researched the diagnostic/repair info. If you look at different models with DRLs, you will find different diagnostic procedures! I believe, (from memory,) that the Prius c and possibly Sienna use the same DRL relay, and checked their info as well. One of those explained the square wave output of the DRL relay. I got a Prius c fuse box from a salvage yard, but have not yet taken it apart to get the relay block wiring for the DRL relay, been busy. (I could not find the part numbers/repair info on the DRL relay block, just the part number for the relay block itself. Without this info, you have to salvage a used relay block harness, something I don't consider an OEM solution, but I did it anyways....)

20. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Yes, where are the EE guys when you need one. :p

Square waves, that sounds like the signal is regulated by Pulse Width Modulation (PWM) from an ECU.