1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is there a guidebook on how to interpret data from codes & live feeds?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by priuslyfe, Aug 2, 2023.

1. priuslyfe

priuslyfe Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I recently bought and used the Autel AP200 code reader. I am overwhelmed with information. Mostly from the live feeds. Specifically a list of tolerances and what is supposed to show up as acceptable temperatures and codes. Rather than addressing a particular code as most threads seem to do, is there a guide specifically for the Prius? Autel gives very limited guidance on finding out what to do with the information they give you.

2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Toyota worked pretty hard on that, and it is very comprehensive, with a section in it for every trouble code you can get, including exactly what the ECU must have seen to set the code, and troubleshooting steps you can follow to pin down why that happened. Ranges and reasonable values for live data are also covered.

Toyota Service Information and Where To Find It | PriusChat

priuslyfe and donbright like this.
  3. priuslyfe

priuslyfe Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    thanks. do you have to read all that to simply interpret the live feed? there must be a more direct option.

moreover. I do not want to understand the codes as much as I would like to know how to understand the system. i presume i might have to read some links or books but I'd like to keep it as simple as possible.

#3 priuslyfe, Aug 2, 2023
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2023
  4. lexidium

lexidium Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  5. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    There is one manual in particular mentioned in the link above—the New Car Features manual—that is the best "what are these pieces, what are they for, and how do they do it and why" introduction out there.

priuslyfe likes this.
  6. priuslyfe

priuslyfe Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Thank you. thats what I needed to hear. I will look into this.

7. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Toyota and Autel both assume that whoever uses a scantool and repair data is a trained technician. The data in each system only makes sense when you understand how that system works.

The sources Chapman mentioned are good. You can google "obd2 data explained" for a basic intro to engine controls.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.