1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is there a place to buy a cubby subwoofer/enclosure?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by inseek, Aug 4, 2011.

1. inseek

inseek Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hey Tim, what is the depth of enclosure? Trying to spot a subwoofer driver.. I was very happy with JL 10w6 but can't say the same about some Pioneer, Sony, MTX, Kicker and few more I had in the past. That's why I am considering JL, but I may take a look at Hertz as well as I heard good things about it.

Thank you for all your hard work on this project! I am sure there are many folks here that are awaiting to see the final product :D

2. mgb4tim

mgb4tim Noob

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I'll have to built the face over the weekend to give you an accurate measurement. you'll probably need to know the volume, as well.

3. vidoprof

vidoprof New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I got dibs on the right side.. sorry man. :)

Also the enclosure volume on the JL 10w3 and 10w6 are the same, the mounting depth of the 10w6 is right about 1" deeper which is why I went with the 10w3.

Let me know (no rush on my part) for the left side. I wish I hadn't bought my box yet or else I would be in for the right side too..

Ryan

4. mee081224

mee081224 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    lol, we are here to help. I got an old box at my moms, who keeps asking me to pick it up. I might use that temporaily. Though I will need to find some new rca cables.

5. mgb4tim

mgb4tim Noob

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    instead of building the face this weekend, I'm making the mold. I'll put a face on the first pull to get it out there, then add a face to the plug.

6. inseek

inseek Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two

Hey Ryan,

Do you think we can fit 10W6 instead of 10W3? 10W6 is IMO much better that W3. The magnet diameter of W6 is also about an inch bigger.

7. vidoprof

vidoprof New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I wanted a 10w6 in mine. They said there was no way. It's just too deep and wouldn't fit. although maybe they just didn't want to worry about trying and failing and then having to make another one. I only know that they told me they couldn't fit it. I figured it would be a better match to my amp and all, but I will tell you. The W3 sounds pretty bada$$...

Ryan

8. mgb4tim

mgb4tim Noob

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    second layer of tooling gel coat on the first half of the plug :D Then about 8 layers of mat...3-5 at a time.

Once that side is done, I pull the parting dam and to the other side.

9. mee081224

mee081224 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Ryan,

Did your total price include the subs & amp or did you pay seperately for those?

What was the resistance rating on the speakers you got, I see them come in 2,4,& 8.

I am going to call the place that did your car on monday to get better pricing ideas. I may have them build the box and I can do the entire install myself.

Remind me on the amp you got again, because I dont remember what you got.

10. mgb4tim

mgb4tim Noob

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
  11. vidoprof

vidoprof New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Look amazing man.. I would have waited had I known. Damn. Can't wait to see a finished product.

Mee: Dude.. do you keep your PMs? lol 900/5. You can read my install thread and see which one too. They did the entire install and I only supplied them with the front and rear speakers.

12. mee081224

mee081224 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Lol, pms....I was like I know he told ne already but I couldn't find the thread, no wonder I didn't find it. Lol

13. mgb4tim

mgb4tim Noob

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    added 5-6 more layers of mat this morning. Later today I'll add 4-6 more. One side will be done. Tomorrow, pull the parting damn, clean up the other side and start spraying release agent.

14. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    This has been quite informative Tim. Would never have guessed just how much effort was involved.

15. inseek

inseek Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Looks amazing, Tim :) especially in red. Can't wait to see next set of photos and final product. I feel it will be great product that many Gen III owners will be happy to have.

16. mgb4tim

mgb4tim Noob

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    That is orange tooling gel coat. It's got about 18-20 layers of resin on it that turns green when it's cured. It's about 3/8-1/2" thick. I'll start the other side of the mold today after about 15 layers PVA (mold release film).

The plug, what I make the mold from, was about 10 layers of mat and resin. I was able to turn it face down on the ground and stand on it. I weigh 275 pounds, so I think it will be solid.

17. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Hi Tim,

If you come through on these sub enclosures, I would be very interested. Smoother the exterior the better. First image below (care of ShawnB2) is close to what I wanted, but not mass produced and a custom one-off was cost prohibitive. Second image is what I had made. The sound is perfect, but the box does not blend with my interior. Look forward to your results.

http://priuschat.com/forums/members...ve-asked-better-results-any-custom-pieces.jpg

http://priuschat.com/forums/attachm...l-questions-type-equip-dsc05924-1024x768-.jpg

18. inseek

inseek Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    This one is the best one so far IMO:

http://priuschat.com/forums/attachm...l-jl-audio-dls-sub-in-cubby-hole-img_0454.jpg

It matches the interior and the speaker grille will protect the speaker well from things lying around.

19. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    "First image below (care of ShawnB2) is close to what I wanted..."
    These enclosures are essentially the same. I prefer the later type grill for my application, but to each their own.

20. mgb4tim

mgb4tim Noob

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    here's a couple shots from last night. The dots are alignment indices to align the two mold halves. When I lay up the second side, it will form right into them. Before I separate the two halves, I'll drill bolts holes to hold them together when I'm using the mold.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]