1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is there a place to buy a cubby subwoofer/enclosure?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by inseek, Aug 4, 2011.

1. shawnb2

shawnb2 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    inseek, I replied to your PM just a bit ago. Just so it's out in the open and you guys have done alot of research on me and my early trials with the stereo stuff in my car. As i mentioned in the PM the grill is made by Hertz for their speakers specifically as far as I know. I don't have the specific part number but I remember the packaging. Been about a year ago now. Just recently got rid of the Alpine headunit in the center console and ditched the factory NAV and got the Kenwood DNX-9980HD. My system has completely come to life far and beyond what the Alpine with the Imprint processor ever could do. It is amazing!! Going back to the speaker grill, I think they designed it that way because that sub is just too damn good looking to cover up with a mesh grill. My shop made the enclosure with specific directions not to block the latch cover and they did a fantastic job. Please feel free to ask anymore questions and I'll do my best to answer as quickly as I can. Tim, you're doing an outstanding job. The enclosure is looking great and you're doing a great service making these for about a third of what I paid for mine. I thank you from all of us. Talk to you guys later.

2. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Starting to get my hopes up a little now Tim.

Thanks for jumping in here Shawn and congratulations on finally getting your Kenwood.

3. inseek

inseek Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thank you, Shawn. I found what is the grille model: Hertz HGR 250.

Thanks!

4. mee081224

mee081224 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    It does look nice, but Im thinking Im staying with the 10w3, like tim said, whats better than 1? two of course.

Which is what I want to do. lol

inseek how much did you pay for yours?

Hey anyone in the hurricane's path, be careful, dont get your engine flooded out. Wait it out.

5. shawnb2

shawnb2 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I will be able to get you the measurements sometime tomorrow. Spending the day at Disneyland with the family today.

6. inseek

inseek Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Are you asking about 10W3? Then I paid $199.99 for the speaker and like $16 for the grille. Got them from Crutchfield. You can get it for $164 from SomicElectronics, but I added mine along with the order of JL HD900/5 I decided to get from authorized dealer after getting a lemon for $800 at eBay (I am returning it to the eBay seller for refund). 900/5 is really expensive, but it is one of the best and very compact 5ch Class D amplifiers available and it fits nicely under the seat.
    THD at Rated Power: <0.03%, S/N Ratio: >108.5 dB, Frequency Response: 12Hz - 28kHz just to name a few...

I also almost decided to go with Herz 250D instead of 10W3 so it goes back to Crunch. I feel that Hertz will be better for small sealed enclosure, and I do not care about *loud* but sound quality on relatively low levels. I can have Herz for $250 from my installer.

Don't worry, Shawn, I got all measurements already, but it wasn't easy as you can find it online only on European web sites. Luckily, I found HGR 250 at eBay for $20 and ordered it.

7. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    "I also almost decided to go with Herz 250D instead of 10W3 so it goes back to Crunch. I feel that Hertz will be better for small sealed enclosure, and I do not care about *loud* but sound quality on relatively low levels. I can have Herz for $250 from my installer."

All other things put aside, you made a good decision. It also does loud, but like a high dollar home system. This is not a getto boom buzzer.

8. mee081224

mee081224 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Which one provides more bump?

Also I noticed a lot of people putting the amps under the car seats. why not under the floor board in the trunk?

9. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    That is where I have mine. No problems but I don't drive mine that hard either.

10. inseek

inseek Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I was thinking about better location for amplifier and concluded that under the seat it will be better air cooled than in the closed and unventilated box above the spare tire. My amp is real 900W RMS and it is pretty expensive, so I simply will not risk it do die prematurely because of higher temperature. Under the seat is almost invisible and also it will be easier to run wires between HU and front/rear speakers.

11. mee081224

mee081224 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Fair enough, it just seems silly to run extra power cable when you are right next to the battery.

I did see someone who took out the right panel in the back and replaced it with fiberglass as part of the fiberglass enclosure for the speaker. it was basically one piece. Looked good because he ran the wiring through the fiberglass to the amp from the battery

Now that would be pretty slick.

12. mgb4tim

mgb4tim Noob

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I saw that..it was sweet!

13. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    "Also I noticed a lot of people putting the amps under the car seats. why not under the floor board in the trunk?"

Possibly because:

-it provides a practical distribution point for routeing with 4 or 5 channel amps. Better a long power feed than longer RCA's and speaker wires. Ohm's Law and logistics.
    -more adequate cooling
    -is where Toyota places the JBL Amp
    -is stealthy and "looks" factory
    -consider changing a tire in the rain with multiple occupants. Where do you put the tray holding your Amp and other components?
    -cost

With any custom installation, it really is your choice and what you want. My choice, and many others, was under seat.

14. inseek

inseek Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hertz HX 250D vs JL Audio 10W3v3-4

Hertz is a monster :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    and for only $50 more, it's worth it. :cool:

16. mgb4tim

mgb4tim Noob

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    HAHAHA, that Hertz unit is a BEAST!

17. mgb4tim

mgb4tim Noob

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
  18. inseek

inseek Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes, that's why if finally settled on Hertz - it is much better than 10W3 and most likely 10W6.

Hertz is rated 450W RMS (900W max) which is 50W RMS less than 10W3, but the difference is coming from the quality of material, dual voice coils, bigger and better cooled motor system etc. When I inspected both speakers closer, the difference was obvious. Just watch this video
    ... 10W3 can't do this :)

19. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    ^ that will give you a great back massage. lol

20. GoldPianoGarden

GoldPianoGarden Bling Meister

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius