1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is there a story behind your screen name?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Jack 06, Oct 21, 2005.

1. Jack 06

Jack 06 New Member

Winters, CA: Prius capital of US. 30 miles W of S
    There are obviously some intriguing-looking screen names here. Sometimes I'll PM someone and ask (e.g., Mystery Squid, Rattiemama) Many look like serial numbers from an old TV.

Rancid? exhuman?

Bill Merchant? :p

Any stories worth sharing?

2. aka007ii

aka007ii New Member

I don't know if it's worth sharing but in the early days of AOL I went online for the first time and had to make a user name. I wanted to be 007 but AOL said "That name is already taken. May we suggest 007jsh336622?" Um, no but how about aka007? "That name is taken. May we suggest aka00739922jj?" No thanks again. So I finaly got aka007ii and have used it for Earthlink and cable/dsl accounts over the years.

3. Rancid13

Rancid13 Cool Chick with a Black Prius

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Yeah...mine's a band. My favorite band ever. That's them in the avatar. :D My favorite # is 13 (met husband on a Fri the 13th, we were married on a Dec 13...) hence the screenname. Here, on LJ and elsewhere.

4. LaughingMan

LaughingMan Active Member

I am the Laughing Man... Class A+ Super Hacker from Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex (or one of his imitators)... and a reference to Salinger, of course.

5. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    The story behind my screen name is a complicated and entagling tale interwoven with conspiracies, intrigue and the occasional ill-gotten gain. Governmental jurisdiction forbids me from revealing the finer details due to international characteristic of the internet. But if I could, oh boy there would be a story!

6. HAMMER55

HAMMER55 New Member

Wanna be Fighter Pilot, Call Sign

7. valand_krisban

valand_krisban New Member

D & D character that I grew for years.

8. Jim1eye

Jim1eye Shaklee Ind Distributor

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    I started going online to do genealogy work. My first name is obvious, my last name means "son of the one eye" :rolleyes:

9. Three60guy

Three60guy -->All around guy<-- (360 = round) get it?

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Back in the late 70's I was working in broadcasting in the engineering department of a Milwaukee radio and television station. I took a vacation to Southern California and while there thought I would apply for a job at NBC. They said it may be possible but there might be a hiring freeze. They told me to come on over. While there they were gracious enough to show me around. While going between studios I came across a certain car parked with a STAR on the reserved sign. I noticed the license plate. It said "360GUY". It was on a Mercedes 450SL. When I asked who this belonged to I was told.....Johnny Carson. 360GUY meant quite clearly to me that he was an all around guy. It was one of the neatest license plates I had ever saw. Twenty years later I needed a screen name so I have been using it ever since for online screen names. Only thing is most computers don't allow you to use a number for the first character of the name. Hence my screen name evolved to Three60guy. I still miss Johnny. His humor was rarely at the expense of someone.

Thats my story. Thanks for asking. By the way, they did have a hiring freeze. I never did get that job at NBC. Funny how fate changes your life.

Cheers

10. lt1jane

lt1jane New Member

Mine is simple. I am in the Wisconsin Army National Guard. I had to choose an AOL name and wanted CPTJane, as I was waiting for my promotion. It was taken and so was 1LTJane, my rank at the time. I Knew GIJane had to be taken, and I didn't want to monkey around with GIJane01 or whatever. LT1Jane was available so I took it. I have been a Captain for several years now, but the screen name is unique enough that I keep it.

Sometimes I use MAJ Suprise. I do have some aspirations and would like the promotion, but haven't found the right position. Also, my husband says that a promotion would help me live up to my name. (He gave me the last name of Suprise.) Through his business, some people ask if I'm a major yet. He tells them no, I'm still just a superhero. (Think of how Captain America says his name and say CPT Suprise.)

11. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

First off, yes, that IS me in the avatar. :D

Squid.

Squid is an infamous term within the sportbiking/crotchrocket community. A Squid is basically someone who's dangerously reckless on a high powered motorcycle. The kind of guy you see riding a wheelie down the highway at 100mph wearing nothing but shorts, t-shirt, and a cool as hell looking pair of Oakley's, or just simply stunting amidst traffic, or just blowing through traffic on the highway well into the triple digit speeds just having a blast. Scaring old ladies and honest Christian taxpayers, making fathers of daughter's everywhere quite nervous, as many chicks think crotchrockets are cool, and want a ride on the back.

Basically, picture someone like Vanilla Ice on a crotchrocket wearing no gear, and just, in general, being obnoxious on a bike.

Thing is...

...that's how most people see sportbikers ANYWAY. Even well experienced and skilled sportbike riders such as myself are seen as nothing but hooligans. A menace to traffic everywhere.

So, what it boils down to is this: I have the heart of a reckless free-spirited Squid, ride like the skilled rider I am, and every once in a while...

...when no one is looking...

...I unleash the beast.

And if you're lucky.

Lucky enough to catch a fleeting glimpse...

...you will see...

...your elongated reflection starting back at you in the mirror reflective visor of the....

(INSERT BLARING JAZZ HORNS HERE)

[Broken External Image]:http://www.sportbikecowboy.com/images/1B.JPG

12. DeadPhish

DeadPhish Senior Member

Outer Banks of NC.. Retired to play golf and poker
    Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    its a combination of the town in which i live Kill Devil Hills ( btw one of the most famous places on earth for technolgical innovation. heheh Guesses?? ) and the MR2 I had just purchased.

It's also my online screen name at Poker Stars where I do most of my poker playing :D

DeadPhish is my other poker personna and that's self explanatory..

kdhspyder/DeadPhish/Bob

13. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    :p No.

14. TJandGENESIS

TJandGENESIS Are We Having Fun Yet?

★Lewisville, part of the Metroplex, Dallas, in the
    Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Yes, there is a story behind the name.

15. tunabreath

tunabreath New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Anyone remember the Calvin & Hobbes comic strip? Calvin would sometimes call Hobbes "tuna breath".

Actually, I originally wanted to be Holly (the name of one of my cats), but that name was taken.

16. Vincent

Vincent Don't Wait Until Tomorrow

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
  17. Schmika

Schmika New Member

Given to me by my workplace for logging into the network. Have been this since mid 80's. You know the drill, first 5 letters of your last name, then your first and middle initial.

I did a talk radio show here for almost a year and was Sgt. Karl, that is my name on Priusonline. I thought about changing here as well, but, I am who I am.

18. heliotropehead

heliotropehead New Member

he·li·o·trope: A moderate, light, or brilliant violet to moderate or deep reddish purple. Any of various plants that turn toward the sun.

-Really pretty flowers and the whole turn toward the sun(glass half full) is how I try(try) to live my life. And "head" because I have one and "flowerhead" is so boring.

:)

19. bookrats

bookrats New Member

Got "bookrats" from my partner's German grandmother -- she came up with it to describe people who collected books like packrats. (A very accurate description of the two of us.)

I have an older (coming up on its 30th anniversary) computer user name, but I use that almost exclusively for Usenet and local computer accounts, as opposed to internet accounts.

20. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    i do not know where mine came from really... my screen names are usually combinations of galaxy, blue, and a few random other things depending on the use. fascination with the unknown i guess you can say. i wanted to keep this one short so i just truncated the combination to galaxee.

and no, as brought up in one of our local prius club meetings, it isn't my real name. :)