1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is there a vast difference in sound between base and advanced?

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by grodnyc, Nov 19, 2012.

1. grodnyc

grodnyc Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Hi
    Is there a noticeable difference in sound (audio system) between the base and the advance model? Is it really worth it? just want to get an idea on the difference between those 2.

Thanks

2. blakemster

blakemster Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I have an ADV model. I have had cars in my earlier years that won audio shows where I dumped a ton of dough into the sound system of the car. Separate amps, crossovers and custom sub enclosure. My home has hi-end type equipment. I was planning on adding a sub and a separate amp in the PIP and I have to say, adjusted correctly the stock ADV sounds pretty gosh darn good. Good enough that I scrapped the idea of upgrading the system. I CAN'T speak to the lower animal model, but there is a bunch of other stuff besides audio on ADV. Take your favorite CD into the dealer and A B test both cars.

3. raimix

raimix Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    lower animal ? pff lol...
    I tested both cars, there is CLEAR difference.
    Base is good enough for me, as I generally frequent more radio over music.

4. SJ PiP

SJ PiP Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    should be more than noticeable considering the advanced has 8 JBL green edge speakers vs. 6 base speakers:
    GreenEdge Benefits

of course there are a bunch of other goodies added to adv besides sound system

5. bzyrice

bzyrice Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I had the JBL system in my 2011 prius. My new PIP prius is Base. There is definitely a difference. I dont mind the Base model though. It suits my needs. In my car I listen to the radio loudly very rarely because I have a new born.

6. grodnyc

grodnyc Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Thank for the input. I was really trying to convince myself that 7 grand is worth it ...lol!

Reality is that we are getting a home and and money is tight. I think I'll just settle for the base which when I testes sounded fine but I did not pump it up!

7. bielinsk

bielinsk Gremlin

Vehicle:
    2013 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    If the base sounds fine, then get the base. But do not go and listen to the Adv model. It is a world of difference. HD Radio alone is amazing, better than CD quality.

8. mnml

mnml Ain't nobody got time for that.

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    If you're solely basing it on audio then I'd say the base model. You can always upgrade the audio equipment on the base for a lot less than $7K.

9. Tracksyde

Tracksyde Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Base has HD Radio too.. but ultimately, the Advanced still sounds better, no question

lensovet likes this.
  10. grodnyc

grodnyc Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I'll try not to go to the ADV model when I go pick it up....that softtex material is really nice too! DANggg it!!!

11. Big Dude

Big Dude Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Short answer--Yes.
    Just remember there is nothing more expensive than underbuying. If you don't really love something or wish you got a better whatever, you may buy twice or be dissatisfied. Save more, buy wisely, and get what you are willing to sacrifice for. By the same token, the less you owe on something , the more you will like it. Debt sours me real quick.

bielinsk likes this.
  12. Adam Leibovitch

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The cloth gets dirtier, but I think its more comfortable and "at home" feeling. I also like that it doesnt change temperature. I hate sitting on an icy or hot seat. I got a bamboo seat cover for when I leave the gym.

Drop some money on speakers if you really want it. I would like to get a nice 3-way 6x9 and make it a component set, with some nice 6 1/2s in the back. The base has decent bass if you adjust the EQ, but the mids and the rear speakers break up. I want to go 6x9 to keep that bass response. 2 6x9's in a prius is pretty decent.

13. SJ PiP

SJ PiP Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    supposed to be an eco friendly alternative to leather. feels a little softer than leather... (just try not to look at the NAV or turn on the headlights on the advanced :D )

14. slcMPG

slcMPG Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    You don't want to over buy either. If you don't need all the ADV features $7000 is a lot of money. You could make the base model sound system much better than the ADV for probally less then $400 or maybe ~700 with a sub.

I like the cloth seats and think they are more comfortable, the dark color of the PiP should not show much dirt either.

15. Big Dude

Big Dude Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Many good thoughts. The leather feel is really nice. I like cloth but it defenately soils

16. Big Dude

Big Dude Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Sorry I messed up the last post. Does the Base come with the eight way power seats? For me that is big. At 6'6' I did not fit in the series 3 with manual seats. Power seats go lower and further back. There are more features than mere eye candy. The radar cruise control is amazing--one of those things that once you have you never want to be without. Safer and works great. Some of the sales incentives give a greater discount to the Advanced lowering the differential. Still, it's real money for real value. Matter of choice and individual financial situation.

17. slcMPG

slcMPG Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Base does not have the power but it can be raised and lowered and moves back the same amount. The lumbar is what is the biggest difference. I am 6 5 and fit in the pretty well. My biggest problem is that the steering wheel is too far forward with the seat all the way back. On the Highway I actually move the seat up a few inches so the reach is better.

18. grodnyc

grodnyc Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Yes Exactly! If I was younger, I would have have gotten the ADV in no time. But now, Im going to have a mortgage, taxes, insurance, yada yada yada...I just find it hard to justify a ~23% premium for the advanced. Maybe for the next gen plug in, I will be in a better financial position to justify that 23%.

19. bfd

bfd Plug-In Perpetuator

Close to SDSU in the Far Southwest Corner of Cali
    Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    You've got priorities. Don't let a car side-track them. The Base model will get you the same mileage, for a better price. So in essence, you're paying less per mile - saving more money. There are some cool things on the ADV model. And you pay for them, so they should be cool. Is the ADV worth it? Probably not in the strictest sense. $7000 just doesn't line item out. For $7K more, the ADV model should've come with a higher capacity battery - something like 6 kWh would've netted about 16-20 miles of EV range. But it would also mean re-engineering parts of the suspension and interior.

… it could very likely happen with the next iteration.

20. bshef

bshef Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    What about improved reception?..
    Anyone have noticeable differences?

Galaxy Nexus ? 2