1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is there a way to find the date that a Prius Hybrid battery was manufactured?

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by bobofky, Jul 23, 2010.

1. jk450

jk450 New Member

As far as I know, it's not a service you can order. They need a reason to charge the pack.

The packs are often shipped to the US by air. I doubt Toyota would spring for air shipping of a product that's been laying around. Besides, most of their production is based on the just-in-time philosophy.

2. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Honda overnight air mails everything, even standard parts sitting around. It is done based on the customer not wanting to wait. I needed a little trim piece for my civic. I went to the stealership, they said come back tomorrow. Came back the next day in the afternoon and my package was there overnight from Ontario, Canada. I wasnt charged for fast shipping (well other than the always high prices, but I would have paid the same price if it was in stock at my dealership in Colorado).

I just dont see a justifiable way for such a large coorporation to build one-offs. It makes me think there is almost just "some guy" who's sole job it is, is to hand build new genI packs. I am still thinking they must do limited runs and stockpile. Even if it is every 12 months, they make say 100 packs. Just doesnt make fiscal sense (or cents :p)

EDIT: If your car dies, and the dealership says "We need a new battery. They will make one for you in Japan. That will take 2-3 days to get the production line ready and the parts avaialble, assembled, and tested." I could live with that part. "Now, it is going to take 6 to 8 weeks on a barge before it gets to California's port of entry. Another day or two to get to us, then we can install it." That is idiotic. They airmail everything like this so your car isnt at a dealership for 2 months.

3. Bob64

Bob64 Sapphire of the Blue Sky

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I doubt they're "made to order". They're not going to build and ship you a battery fresh from japan the instant you place an order. Same concept with cars. They build a stockpile based on expected demand and ship that.

4. jk450

jk450 New Member

There's no need to do so. If typical demand for a given region is, say, X battery packs per month, then that's how many will need to be produced and shipped to that region's distribution centers every month. Most component production lines are flexible, and can produce more than one type of a given item.

1 person likes this.
  5. bobofky

bobofky Member

I appreciate all of the discussion. The more information we get about this wonderful vehicle, the better. I did not mean to start a war, but can anyone answer my question? I do not have the training, tools or place to attempt my own battery repair. My sister-in-law and I have 2001 Priuses about the same age. My battery failed in Jan 2009 at 192,000 miles. A replacement was ordered from a local Toyota dealer on Jan 9. It arrived at my mechanic's shop on Jan 27. My sister-in-law's battery failed in Sept 2009 at 127,000 miles. The common factor is age because miles on the batteries varied by more than 65,000. The replacement battery for my sister-in-law's car arrived two days after the order was placed because the dealer had one in stock. My battery has failed now at 18 months and 26,000 miles. I am searching for a reason for it to fail so soon and think that the date of manufacture may provide a clue. I certainly don't want a car that has to have the battery replaced every two years. I think that the age factor is the reason that the Hybrid System in a new Prius is warranted at 8 years and 100,000 miles. Anyway, I thank all of you for responding to my post.

6. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Your profile block does not identify where you are located so some options may not apply:

1. Continue with genuine Toyota battery service - prices have softened but you're looking at ~$3,000
    2. Continue with current mechanic and Toyota battery parts - what did you pay?
    3. Continue with current mechanic and Re-InVolt rebuild traction battery - ~$1,700 for the battery
    4. Find another mechanic - in the San Francisco area, Art's Automotive or Lucious Garage. In North Carolina, David Taylor's shop (aka., Re-InVolt)
    Now we know it is common practice to transfer the battery ECU from an old pack to a new pack. So trying to decode from the ECU identifier won't be very reliable. This leaves you with just the battery module numbers. If you will post some of the battery module serial numbers, we can give you an educated guess of their manufacture date.

First, supply some battery module serial numbers, they are just on top:
    [​IMG]
    You can see the serial number in the white text of the center the module just to the left of the temperature sensor well. Just give us some module serial numbers.

Bob Wilson

7. bobofky

bobofky Member

Thanks.
    I definitely won't go with option 1. That costs as much at the trade in value of the car, besides I only get burned once from the same source and I do not trust any large car dealer. A dealer at Knoxville tried to get my sister-in-law to trade allowing her $1500 for her 2001 Prius. That caused me to go to Knoville and haul her car to Lexington, KY so that my mechanic could replace the battery.

My mechanic charged me the dealer price for the battery, $1959. The total cost of the replacement was $2,3xx. Similar for my sister-in-law's car. Between Jan 2009 and Sep 2009 the battery price dropped $100 and delivery was one day. He will do the work when I decide what to do. Most likely I will get a Re-Involt battery. I am waiting to see how long the battery in my sister-in-law's car lasts. If it goes in a short period of time then I will know not to go with Toyota. Hers is approaching the warranty expiration.

I am suspicious of the replacement battery that I got because it took about 20 days for it to arrive after we placed the order.

I will have him get some serial numbers off the battery and let you try to decode them. In the meantime I am going to try to squeeze that information out of Toyota.

I suppose the best stategy for driving a Prius is to buy one that is 2 or three years old and drive it until near the warranty expiration, then sell it and start over.

Thanks for your help.

8. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    He can possibly read them via the vent cover versus taking the battery out and/or removing the cover.

What battery error codes? For example, if a voltage sense line snapped, this could be repaired and possibly return the traction battery to service very cheaply.

BTW, I know someone who bought a full set of buss bars and sense wires that he did not need. Your mechanic might be able to 'do a deal.'

Bob Wilson

9. hybriddriveguy

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Since there has been so much chatter about Re-Involt and reliability issues, I thought I would weigh in this morning with some facts. We began our battery business in April of 2009 and to date have sold 263 Gen1 battery packs and 9 Gen2 battery packs. In the beginning, we sold 34 Gen1 battery packs with Gen1 cell modules and out of those, we have had 5 that did not last beyond the 1 year warranty period. There were 3 out of the 5 that failed due to electrolyte leaking and causing a P3009 high voltage leak code. The other 2 had cell modules to short out internally. We then switched over to using only Gen2 cell modules since we were not able to control the leaking electrolyte issue with the Gen1 modules.
    Since switching to Gen2 cell modules, we have sold 229 packs, of which we have had 4 failures. Out of these 4 failures, only one was caused by a cell module problem, which made us tighten up our parameters for what qualifies as a good cell module. One was caused by an installer error, which we covered under warranty anyway and 2 were caused by mistakes made by us during the rebuilding process. One was a loose nut on a busbar and the other was caused by a stray bolt that found it's way onto the smr and blew the fuse. The bad pack that was mentioned in this thread, I believe was the unit with the loose nut.
    We have not had any complaints to date that we have not gone beyond the call of duty to address. In several cases, we have gotten on 3 way calls with a dealership tech and our customers and walked them through the diagnostics to repair a non-battery related problem.
    Will our batteries last as long or longer than the new packs sold by the dealer? I believe so. Has Toyota changed their design of Gen1 packs? Definately not. I just bought a 03 Prius with a new Toyota pack last week and the design is identical to what it was in 2001.

We are working on a new lithium replacement pack for the Gen1 and Gen2 Prius, so we will be able to offer a better solution in the future. Until then, we will continue to improve upon our procedures so we can market a great product at a reasonable price.

Thanks to all,
    David Taylor
    Re-Involt Technologies

7 people like this.
  10. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Thank you David!

BTW, how was Green Drive Expo?

I had at one time considered an 'open' system for the Gen 1 packs. A plumber's nightmare, it would have opened the safety vent and converted the vent tubes into a means for keeping the cells wet but I soon realize this would not work:

• Excessive dV between the series modules - the electrolyte plumbing would have to maintain electrical isolation across the 270 V pack
    • KOH is hideous stuff to work with - it is 'slippery', nearly invisible, and eats just about everything. Furthermore, it absorbs CO{2} and transforms itself into something that is not an electrolyte
    Looking at the NHW11 module terminals, I don't see any way to seal them except possibly by some injected potting system. But then you're trying to put potting compound on a KOH coated surface . . . this is not going to work.

Very few things in life work perfectly the first time and there is something called the 'learning curve.' What is important is standing behind the product.

What I've found too.

This is interesting. Bringing in a new battery chemistry is a challenge and fitting it into the existing system with battery management . . . I can think of no one who I would trust more to do it right than David's team.

Bob Wilson

1 person likes this.
  11. hybriddriveguy

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Three

12. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    That is awesome. In one respect, I almost regret trying to maximize my current pack life.

BTW, I've found some well documented modules from an NHW11 just out side of Kansas city. The owner did the Toyota pack swap but fortunately he documented the module voltages in the first week of July and just e-mailed the six voltages . . . three weeks of sitting idle. I'd asked for three end modules, the strongest, and three middle modules, the weakest. They should be in Huntsville this week.

My first step will be to measure their initial voltages and then do a two-cycle, charge-discharge to measure their residual, Ahr capacity. Then I'll plot their self-discharge rate.

I am pretty sure that there is a lowest voltage limit that once reached from self-discharge, the metal hydride matrix becomes 'damaged' and loses any ability to store hydrogen. I was thinking of using a mob of AA cells for this study but then these six modules came available. One last technical question, if you have time.

There are scattered reports in "Prius Technical Stuff" about a 'balancing cycle.' One post claims the Techstream can command it and a couple of posts think the vehicle can 'do it on its own.' In theory, the sense lines might be used for a low-current, discharge to try and equalized or balance the charge. However, this begins to sound more like wishful thinking.

Have you run into anything like that with the current NHW11s? Some sort of built-in 'balancing cycle' that can be commanded? I could not find anything in the maintenance manuals.

Thanks,
    Bob Wilson

13. hybriddriveguy

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks Bob

1 person likes this.
  14. jk450

jk450 New Member

Thanks for the information. Do you know how many of those packs have run past the warranty period?

No, it wasn't. The module terminal nuts were all tight. The pack was out of balance. The individual was advised to return the pack under warranty. Presumably, they did so.

it's true that the external appearance of the modules remains unchanged. However, I'm curious as to how you verified that the internal design and components of replacement Toyota packs - electrolyte, separators, plates, and so on - are identical to those produced in 2001. Can you shed some light on this?

15. hybriddriveguy

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    We have dissected a new pack to the extent of cutting the cell modules apart for comparison. Toyota does have the glue applied directly around the terminals on the harness side only of the pack.
    The pack we bought was 2 years old according to the date code on the cell module.
    The date coding goes by the 4th digit of the battery serial number beginning with the letter "A" which signifies the year 1999.
    It appears most assembly line cars came with packs built close to the year the car was produced. The exception has been the 2001 year model, which has date codes reaching back to 1999.
    So far, we have not seen any date codes newer than 2008, even though we have had 2 packs that we have examined that were bought in 2010.

2 people like this.
  16. freidawg

freidawg Prius Recycler

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    There are scattered reports in "Prius Technical Stuff" about a 'balancing cycle.' One post claims the Techstream can command it and a couple of posts think the vehicle can 'do it on its own.' In theory, the sense lines might be used for a low-current, discharge to try and equalized or balance the charge. However, this begins to sound more like wishful thinking.

Have you run into anything like that with the current NHW11s? Some sort of built-in 'balancing cycle' that can be commanded? I could not find anything in the maintenance manuals.

Bob, I realize this post is a couple weeks old, but if you havent seen it, here's toyota's TSB on "HV Battery Maintenance". This doc goes back to the old scan tool, but I believe Techstream will do it too.

Eric

Attached Files:

17. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    So, does that sort of go with the theory that they made a bunch in 2008 to fuel the 2009 model year GenII and now are producing GenIII packs but the GenII are just sitting on shelves? Similar to maybe having GenI packs sitting around too?

18. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Thanks!

This also read like the 'force charge' method where we mash the brakes and hold the accelerator down to put a charge on the traction battery. But two important aspects:

• run the car at least every 60 days - a warehouse storage challenge
    • battery heating during charge - NiMH is exothermic
    Thanks again,
    Bob Wilson

19. hybriddriveguy

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I was referring to Gen1 packs so far as the 2008 being the newest. We have not bought any new Gen2 packs to view date codes yet.

20. Florian_steiper

Florian_steiper Junior Member

Hello,

this is finally the info I was looking for... My Battery pack has the serial# 18XBHB03939D to 18XBHB03976D. According to your scheme this would make this a year 2000 pack, which makes sense as the first registration was in january 2001. Do you think the week or day is also coded in the serial# somewhere ?!?

ciao

Florian