1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is there a way to program key fobs with "Tech Stream"

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by MilkyWay, Oct 1, 2019.

1. MilkyWay

MilkyWay Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Before spending $275 at locksmith thought I'd check here first.

1) What is best link to purchase techstream if it has the capability to program a random key from a different prius to my prius (i have couple spares from random priuses sitting in a drawer)?

2) Can I very easily program a random key fob to my prius as my prius has broken buttons*

*by broken button I mean it is physically impossible to do the "chicken dance" because I cannot follow the procedure as the buttons on the fob don't engage.

mdgilbreath likes this.
  2. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Well... The easy part is your FOB with broken buttons. On Ebay you can buy a replacement Fob case and use a razor blade to slice through the seams around the edge of the FOB and then transfer everything inside of old FOB into new one and glue it together.

As for programming, it's not a hard system to crack. The problem is the people who know how to do this are wary of how to be certain they are helping legit car owners rather than those up to no good. Here's what I've learned on here over the years after doing way too much reading on the subject:

--A brand new FOB / never been linked to a vehicle can be done via chicken dance or in Techstream...

--To program a used FOB(s) you will need to wipe and reseed the whole system in a security based part of techstream that requires a monthly fee, which is what some electronic locksmith business with lots of employees will have.

--Back in the day on here there was a small group of e-lock experts that thought it very unfair that Toyota didn't make it easier to program a spare FOB for your vehicle and they built a kit to loan out if you covered shipping, but I just checked and @h00ktern hasn't been seen on this site in 3 years.

--I've also heard of a service in the EU that for $30 does a mathematical calculation of your VIN# to create a passcode to wipe and reseed in techstream.

--For a while there was an ebay service where for $15 you mail them your used FOB and they wipe it so you can reprogram it as if it were new.

Hope that helps?

NORMAL POPS, SFO and MilkyWay like this.
  3. mdgilbreath

mdgilbreath Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Go to Amazon and order a replacement shell and swap internal to new. You can also find a silicone cover on there also. IMG_3377.JPG

iPhone ?
    2005 Prius