1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is there a way to reboot bluetooth without turning car off?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by vForVictory, Apr 24, 2019.

1. vForVictory

vForVictory Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    III
    About 10%-20% of the time, bluetooth on our prius v 2012 does not work well (or at all) after the car starts. Sometimes a song from the iPhone is endlessly loading. Sometimes a song loads but the it stays frozen on the Prius screen, not actually playing.

If I turn the car off and then back on again, the problem is usually solved and the music starts playing in about 20-30 seconds.

Is there a way to force that same bluetooth reset without having to turn the car off, and then back on?

2. cnc97

cnc97 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three

I had an issue last night with my phone not being recognized in the car. Even though on the display it showed my phone was connected. I deleted the connection profile from my phone and my car, and re-linked them. So far so good. It’s just strange that it occurred the same day as the hybrid system software update, but oh well.

3. renatomn74

renatomn74 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Try pressing the left (I don't remember) button for a few seconds

4. vForVictory

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    III
    Which button do you mean? The Prius power button? If I hold it for a few seconds, doesn't that turn the car off?

Or do you mean some other button?

Occasionally, if I turn the radio button off, then back on, it causes the blue tooth to connect but that is not nearly as reliable as turning the car off then back on with the power button.

5. renatomn74

renatomn74 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Is the interior of your Prius like the image attached? Prius.jpeg

Something similar happens to me with the bluetooth connection: after the restart the connection is ok

6. vForVictory

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    III
    Ok that looks like the button that turns audio system on/off. I've never tried holding it for several seconds before. Will try that next time Bluetooth is failing and report back if it works (or doesn't).

7. vForVictory

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    III
    I've only had a couple times since posting this that I needed to reboot bluetooth. The above method did NOT work. Turning the car off then back on DID work, as expected. So at least with my Prius v 2012, I'm back again to asking the original question:

Is there any way to force bluetooth to restart without the drastic step of having to stop the car, power it off, then power the car back on again?

8. Johnny Cakes

Johnny Cakes Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    +1 on this from an Android user.

9. Sr5dude

Sr5dude Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Yes, turn off the Bluetooth on your phone then back on. A icon will show up on the car to connect

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

10. vForVictory

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    III
    I meant a way to restart auto bluetooth. My iPhone is fine, as evidenced by the fact that turning the car off then on again gets everything to work fine. The problem is that about 1 out of 20 times when starting the car, the prius v Bluetooth isn't working right and needs to be reset. The only way I have found to do that reliably is to power off the prius v then power it on again. Sometimes I do this a stop sign or light to fix the bluetooth.

11. Papawrench

Papawrench New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    V
    Bumping an old thread since I'm having the same issue. Did anyone figure out a solution? Very occasionally connecting another Bluetooth device to my phone (like my headphones) will allow the call function to connect to the car and I can then switch to connect all but usually it takes one or more restarts of the car.