1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is there a way to reboot the MFD?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Two Legit, Oct 25, 2021.

1. Two Legit

Two Legit New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hello All,

I've been experiencing this problem or about a year now but I'm hoping to finally find a solution. When I start the vehicle the MFD goes through its start-up process but seems to get stuck somewhere and go back to the beginning again. I'll see the Toyota logo, then after a few moments the screen will go black. Then I'll see the logo again. Unfortunately, I know who manufactures the car I am driving, so seeing the Toyota logo over and over is no good for me. I'd rather be able to set up a bluetooth device.

I have limited radio access (the dials are not particularly responsive), the back-up camera display works, and I can adjust the heat and A/C. I've read quite a few threads on this forum and while many are helpful, I'm hoping I won't need to follow the hobbit process of completely gutting this MF(D). Does anyone know if it is possible to reboot the unit? Reset it to factory settings? Below is a link to a video of what I'm describing.

Thank you in advance for any insight you might have!

2. gromittoo

gromittoo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    This is a "Prius v" forum, and your MFD looks like it is from a different hybrid Toyota. You may have better luck getting a response in the regular Prius forums. Knowing the model year and the "Faceplate ID" is helpful. The faceplate ID is a 5 or 6 digit number on lower right corner of the faceplate.

MFD's in Toyota models from 2010 to around 2015 use the "Harman" expansion boxes, which are prone to failure. It is hard to tell, but I do see the word "Loading.." before some of the crashes. You may have a bad expansion box, which handles all things "Entune" related. Try removing the MFD, and disconnect any cable(s) that go between the top box, and the expansion box underneath. Sometimes that will allow your MFD to work and possibly get Bluetooth working, but you will lose functionality (Navigation Sat radio, etc).