1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is there a way to use the battery for other things?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by Galane, Jun 17, 2020.

1. Galane

Galane Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Has anyone made a standalone BMS with fan control etc to be able to use the HV battery for things like storage for solar power or in electric vehicles? There's been quite a variety of hardware made for repurposing modules from Tesla Model S batteries.

A Prius battery should be able to run a bunch of LED lights for quite a long time.

ydpplqbd likes this.
  2. ydpplqbd

ydpplqbd Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Great question!!!!

PS I heard somewhere that Nissan Leaf batteries are being used in that manner (no further knowledge on this subject).

3. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Seems like the Toyota cars have no trouble using up most of the ready lifespan of their batteries. Perhaps it's the other way around with Teslas, car wearing out before the battery? Or maybe there's a more recoverable heel available on those big lithium batteries after they are past their peak?

ydpplqbd likes this.
  4. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    ATM I think it's simply more a supply vs demand.

In addition to normal accident attrition rates, Tesla cars also go very fast=plenty of totaled teslas. :( So, entire tesla packs are available. Then consider A) Teslas have low degradation/failure rate and B) most Teslas are still under warranty, so there's no market (yet) from owners needing replacements (wak-a-mole). 5-10 years from now, things could look different.

LOTS more uses for a large packs over a tiny one so folks focus on using those. Also, current Tesla cells are an "old" industry standard so more uses/familiarity.

5. Galane

Galane Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The Model S batteries have been used straight out of the car, with additional equipment, as battery banks for solar power. All the while people were doing that, Tesla was denying they had any such plans. Of course they actually were working on the product that would be sold as Powerwall.

Once the Model S battery case has all its bolts out and the lid pried off, the modules full of cells are pretty easy to separate. From one to lots of those have been used for all kinds of things. People haven't been doing such tricks (or not as easily) with Model 3 batteries because they're glopped up inside with dollops of some tough glue, perhaps an epoxy.

A 2nd or 3rd gen Prius battery ought to be useful as is. It's in one reasonably compact package, well protected though not liquid tight. Just needs an aftermarket device designed to connect up to read the sensors, monitor the charge etc, and interface with other common products used in DIY solar and electric vehicles.

ydpplqbd likes this.
  6. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Well, I could see using a Prius battery pack for a home solar setup. But if I were doing that, I wouldn't want to fool around with one that had already been used in somebody's car.

As it is we have a vacation cottage with an offgrid power system- we use golf cart batteries. I don't try to save money with secondhand golf cart batteries because there's just too much downtime (and heavy lifting) associated with weak cells.

So I'm sure it could be done as a demo but people want their houses to work, without excuses.

ydpplqbd likes this.
  7. Galane

Galane Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Rebuild the Prius battery with that kit that has 1/2 the number of blocks, each with 2x the voltage and capacity, made of large cylindrical cells. Comes with new bus bars, heat sensor clips, and a new internal wiring harness. http://www.newpriusbatteries.com/

If I needed a battery I'd go with that for a rebuild. From what I've found, the manufacture of new modules compatible with gen 1, 2, and 3 Prius ended with the end of Gen 3 production.

Now if I can find a cheap but not trashed 06-09 with a battery that's toast...

8. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Pretty sure it's half the number of modules as the original, but the same number of blocks. 1 module = 1 block in this replacement, where in the original, 2 modules = 1 block.

Changing the number of blocks would be tough to explain to the battery ECU.

ydpplqbd likes this.
  9. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Not sure where you found that info, but pretty sure every replacement Toyota battery assembly come complete with freshly manufactured modules.