1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is there an alternative to the HID bulbs?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Smardaz, Jun 7, 2016.

1. Smardaz

Smardaz Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    So I know this is something many are painfully familiar with. Not long after I got my '08 Prius one headlight bulb went bad and I got the sticker shock at the dealer when they replaced it. When the other one went out I replaced it myself although not thrilled to do it as it seems you have to take the front end off just to replace the bulb.
    So now years later I have a bulb about to go out again and I am wondering if it is possible to switch to a cheaper bulb without having to do a lot of retro-fit work? Or, alternatively, have HID prices come down?

2. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    So you think that 2 bulbs in 9 years is too many? Good luck getting a halogen bulb to last that long.

HID bulbs are between $50 and $100 depending on where you go. Just replace BOTH bulbs and be done with it for another half-decade or more.

My one set of HID bulbs I put in around 2009 just failed a couple months ago. Mine are on whenever the car is on, and the car does multi-hour journeys regularly. I would gather it gave more than a decade of normal use.

Things can kill them sooner. Like if you flash your lights often with them off, then it is turning the HID bulb on for a short time and then off then on then off, to make the flashing. If the lights are on and you flash, then it is just a solenoid going back and forth but the bulb stays lit. Too short a time between cooldown and plasma ignition causes early failures.

And you mentioned you installed your other bulb and frankly don't seem like an expert so I would like to just be clear that the oils from your hands and figures dramatically shorten the length of the bulb. The oils stay on the surface and it actually makes the bulb hotter shortening its life. Even the briefest of touches, is death to the bulb. Seriously, handle with EXTREME care, and then don't touch it for 10 years. Good clean gloves can be used if you can't be careful.

To answer your question, yes it is possible. Buy halogen wiring harnesses, halogen reflector headlight housings and the halogen bulbs and you too can drive like it is 1965.

3. DonDNH

DonDNH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    If you don't enjoy changing a bulb, don't go cheap.

4. Smardaz

Smardaz Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Thank you.....I think. I'm trying to decide if you're being a smart a$$ or just being funny. At any rate, I guess I am just remembering the cost/and work involved and I wasn't looking forward to doing it again. I was aware of the skin oils thing as well. Anyway, thanks again. I reckon I'll just do it myself.

5. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I just replaced my HID bulbs (mid-2009 to early-2016 life on a single bulb with thousands of hours of use) and it took me less than 10 minutes total to do both sides.

Pop the hood. Use a drill with a phillips bit and unscrew the rubber hood bumpers by the radiator. Then use a drill bit to socket adapter with a 10mm socket. In the wheel wells there is one bolt on each side. A quick spin of the drill and they're off in seconds. Now the entire bumper from the front of the car pulls up and out. It then hangs, still connected on the bottom but completely opens up the front of the car.
    Then each headlight has 3 bolts, same 10mm socket adapter. Zip, zip, zip, and the entire headlight comes out hanging on by the wiring harness. Easy peasy to access the bulbs and replace, then put it back together the opposite way.

========================

Just went and reviewed my security footage and one of the cameras sort of accidentally captured the process waaaaaaay in the background. My Prius is on ramps because I was doing an oil change at the same time, but that's not required for headlights. Total time from starting to remove the bumper to when it is dangling is 31 seconds... This can't be too much work...

Remove phillips screws
    prius001.jpg

prius002.jpg

prius003.jpg

prius004.jpg