1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is there an OEM convex side mirror for Prius Prime (2021)?

Discussion in 'Prime Accessories and Modifications' started by aunsafe2015, Apr 25, 2021.

1. aunsafe2015

aunsafe2015 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I searched the forum and it seems like they had OEM convex side mirrors from Europe, Asia, or Australia for some older models of the Prime. Anybody know if they have a convex side mirror option for the 2021? And if so, a place to purchase in the US? Thanks.

2. Zensoku

Zensoku Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    bsm?

TGrracie and pghyndman like this.
  4. Zensoku

Zensoku Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Yes this one has BSM

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  6. Zensoku

Zensoku Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
  7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    looks good

8. Darien Day

Darien Day Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Anyone ever install this? How do you remove the original mirrors?

9. jteran5

jteran5 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    XLE AWD-e
  10. Darien Day

Darien Day Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I got a set today and tried to install. First things first; these are meant for JDM model cars so the passenger side mirror in the set goes in the driver side mirror housing and the driver side mirror from the set goes in the passenger side mirror housing. The only thing that will be "off" is the approaching car's etching in the glass (for the blind spot notification) has the open end up pointing towards the sky (so it looks like a "U") because the mirrors are on the opposite side they're meant for.

The next thing;

Both driver side mirrors (my original and the one from the blue JDM set) have this long copper colored piece of metal contact that I thought might be for a defroster, but when I removed it from both mirrors found that it was just clipped to the plastic housing and none of it actually came close to coming in contact with the glass or any heating element I could see. This copper contact protrudes out from near the two wires that plug into the mirrors.

After plugging in both connectors behind each mirror I went on a test drive and both sides flash the BSM lights appropriately.

They have a wider view than the stock mirrors probably because the stock mirrors magnify the image a little bit (the original mirrors have that warning etched in them that objects in mirror are closer than they appear and the JDM mirrors do not).

If I could do it again I might not because I'm OCD about stupid little things like the now backwards etching of the approaching car for the BSM lights. The JDM set also aren't cheap.

11. Darien Day

Darien Day Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I cropped out my dirty, ugly, dry hands in this pic. where I have my original mirror laying on the blue one in a way where you can see the clips from both where a harness attaches. Green is the original mirror showing the clip. Red is the blue mirror that has a damaged / missing clip (arrived in that condition).
    [​IMG]

You can see that large, copper colored contact here. It doesn't have any wires and is not in contact with any wires in the mirror. It's simply seated in the plastic.
    [​IMG]

Side view of that copper contact.
    [​IMG]