1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is there any pattern for when ICE comes on?

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by terrylowe, Apr 21, 2012.

1. terrylowe

terrylowe Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I am so glad that my motor doesn't kick on right when I start the car like my old prius does. It does seem to kick on some time during my 6 mile trip to work. I can't seem to find a pattern for when it kicks in. I am not pushing it hard....am I doing something wrong to make it kick on? Has anyone found a way to make it shut back off? (other than coasting to a stop?)

If it weren't for that, I'd using it during the week completely on battery.

2. ryogajyc

ryogajyc Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    The ICE turns on for:
    1) Climate control heat
    2) Speeds of 62+ MPH
    3) Hard acceleration (if you go to the PWR range of the Hybrid System Indicator in EV mode)
    4) Every 124 contiguous EV miles to keep the ICE healthy

Once it starts, it has to complete ICE warmup before it will turn off.

3. rogerv

rogerv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    This thread, Full-battery downhill engine start is a pain! discusses what I believe you may be experiencing, if you have any long hills on your commute. It may be "spinning" but not actually burning any gasoline while it keeps the battery from getting above the "safe" level SOC.

4. usdmattiphone

usdmattiphone Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Mine also starts up if i'm in the .7mile ev range and i put the car into reverse.

5. rogerv

rogerv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Not sure about the PiP, but the Gen ll didn't use the ICE at all in reverse, although it sure sounded like it was running. I remember arguing on PriusOnline with others about it, because I would have sworn mine was running! Can any of the experts here step in and clarify, please?

6. terrylowe

terrylowe Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Hmmm...wonder if it thinks I want heat in there and kicks on because of the that. Now I gotta pull out the manual to figure out how to turn off climate control heat! ;-)

I do hear the engine and feel it kick on. Also the mileage bars drop.

7. rogerv

rogerv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    OK, that sounds like the ICE is running, alright, if the mileage indicator drops. I set the cabin temperature at "LO" and turn the fan off. I still get a little "ram air" through the vents sometimes, but depending on the outside temps, I either have the windows open to some degree, or am wearing a jacket if needed. If I'm going for EV mileage, it is usually short trips and I'm not in the car long enough for it to get too uncomfortable.

1 person likes this.
  8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    turn the fan to 'off' and the temp to low. make sure the 'auto' is off and you should not be calling for heat or air conditioning. i drive 14.8 miles to work and back and the engine never comes on.

1 person likes this.
  9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    on the gen II, the engine has to fire up when it's below operating temperature. it will fire up even if you're backing out of your driveway.

10. rogerv

rogerv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    But since there is no conventional reverse gear, it isn't powering the car, right? And on my '06, I seem to remember that if I had the fan off and the temp set to LO, the ICE didn't fire up until I got to the bottom of my hill and needed power on takeoff. The ICE would be "below operating temperature" anytime when the car had sat for several hours, wouldn't it? Are you saying that has changed between the Gen ll and the PiP? Thanks for your input.

11. terrylowe

terrylowe Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    YUP! Just did this and it worked! No ICE. Thanks!

12. Jeffrey Perlman

Jeffrey Perlman Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I understand that when ICE starts it must warmup, but I have noticed a change in pattern in how ICE operates. When my 2013 Plug-In was newer, ICE would turn off at almost every stop light. You couldn't hear a sound. Engine vibration would stop. But now it rarely turns off in that situation, regardless of weather (all accessories off). What's new is that before it would stay in EV mode for an entire trip if the road was flat and I didn't have to accelerate above 60 mph. Now it never lets me finish a trip just on EV, even if there's lots of battery left on the indicator. I complained about this to my Toyota service department. They scanned it and no error codes showed up. So they said I would have to leave the car for several days to run it in various modes to see if they could duplicate the problem. I declined to be without the car for that long.

13. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    something is wrong if your ice hardly ever shuts down. how is the 12 volt battery?

can you take the service manager for a ride and show her the problems?