1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is there any reason I shouldn't remove the bottom lip on my 2006

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Ghostrider, Oct 29, 2006.

1. GreenGene

GreenGene New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PA @ Oct 30 2006, 07:00 PM) [snapback]340995[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks for your reply. I had asked about it in another thread when I changed the oil at 5K, but didn't get a response. I'll take it to the dealer - need to take it in for an alignment, anyway.

2. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Pinto Girl @ Oct 30 2006, 09:49 PM) [snapback]341055[/snapback]</div>
    You're supposed to drop those down the intake manifold. :p

Tom

3. Ghostrider

Ghostrider New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(qbee42 @ Oct 31 2006, 08:03 AM) [snapback]341194[/snapback]</div>
    Are you refering to the guy who dropped a tube of BB's into his Miata intake :eek:

4. Ghostrider

Ghostrider New Member

OK I added the nose mask this afternoon and a couple of thoughts.
    1. The nose mask is definately still listed in parts for a 2006 but it is for 2005 and older. The black lip is still the issue.
    2. I removed the black lip and it's a little more complicated than it looks. It's like a three part assembly of the bottom of the bumper, the lip and the aero splash panel that goes under the car. I am sure they had very good engineering reasons but the net effect is that you probably cannot leave the black lip off. You might be able to make the aero panels attach to the bumper but I didn't look long enough to try it. Therefore the lip is required. If I recall correctly (and I may be worng since my intent was to get the mask on not redesign the bumper) the lip attached to the bumper with seven screws and the aero to the lip with five. Also five of the lip screws are hidden under the aero panels. You either remove the panels competely or flex the aero and hope they don't break...
    3. The nose mask covers everything but the very bottom of the side panels. Not sure why they didn't add two more inches and some velcro to cover this part.
    4. My real beef with Toyota is the license tag bracket. Whomever decided to use self tapping screws should really try again. I had to remove the bracket and the ugliness of the two holes is huge. Looks like someone took a hammer and punched two holes in the bumper about 1/8 inch diameter. A much better solution would have been to have a reinforcing nut behind the bumper and a small bolt to go through. I doubt if the "bumper plug" after market kits would really help here since self tapping is very rough. If I ever want to remove the front tag it's several hundred bucks to redo the bumper.

The mask looks nice on the grey. I will say that it is a very tight fit... I warmed both pieces up in the dryer and still had to pull a great deal.

5. stanleyjohn

stanleyjohn New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    A bit of a challange i see.How long do you think it took you to install it?im sure the next time (remove to clean) it will be easier! now that you know what needs to be done.A pic would be nice if you can provide.I saw a site recently that sells the bra for about $115.Pretty sure im going to order one now.Your all set now for whatever items get catapulted to your front end. :lol: Good Job

6. PA

PA Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(stanlwyjohn @ Nov 2 2006, 06:12 AM) [snapback]342428[/snapback]</div>
    Not really. Rocks can hit anywhere, like the middle of the hood, windshield, etc. I've got three mid-hood dings from flying rocks, which unfortunately a bra would not have prevented. Happened the 2nd. week I had the car. Oh, well.

7. Actual Mileage

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PA @ Nov 2 2006, 06:30 AM) [snapback]342436[/snapback]</div>
    Think a deflector would be any better?

8. Ghostrider

Ghostrider New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(stanlwyjohn @ Nov 2 2006, 04:12 AM) [snapback]342428[/snapback]</div>
    It took about two hours total.. I forgot to mention that the fit is very tight. I had to heat the mask up in the dryer to get it to stretch. The elastic straps are very tight.

9. NuShrike

NuShrike Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I missed it last time, but does anybody have the part # for the front lip/spoiler that the 2006 and on have, that I can order to retrofit it to the 2005?

I've scraped my front enough now that I'm thinking I should just refresh the area with new parts.

[edit]
    Nevermind, 76851-47010 $62.05

10. PA

PA Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Actual Mileage @ Nov 2 2006, 09:58 AM) [snapback]342456[/snapback]</div>
    No.

11. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ghostrider @ Nov 1 2006, 10:14 PM) [snapback]342346[/snapback]</div>
    Yep, the self-tapping screws aren't really a super idea. I did use the bumper plugs on my white car and the way they work is that the part that's exposed is perhaps 3/4" in diameter and has a little bit of a radius around the edge so it looks more or less finished.

The only thing you'll prob'ly notice if you happen to use those plugs is that, when the dealer drills in those self tapping screws, it tends to distort the plastic in the immediate area; if you look close you can still see it in reflections on the bumper...but you have to look pretty closely (at least on a white car). Also, the plugs need a hole that's slightly bigger than the one that holds on the bracket, so you have a chance to clean up the mess a little bit.

12. FL Buckeye

FL Buckeye Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I was going to buy the front bra but changed my mind and got the deflector. But from somewhere I had written down that the part# for the 2004-5 bra is PT218-47040, and for the 2006 it is PT218-47050. Maybe Galaxxe or someone close to a dealer can check it out. We had a bra on a Civic some time back and the clear coat paint under it started to cloud so quit using it. After about a week in the open air & sunshine it cleared up.

13. Ghostrider

Ghostrider New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(FL Buckeye @ Nov 2 2006, 06:00 PM) [snapback]342899[/snapback]</div>
    The desciption is part of the confusion. 47050 is what I have and while Toyota parts lists it as 2006 it is not really. I think what they changed from the 47040 is how it slides around the headlights. A friend has a 2005 Prius and had to get a new mask after an accident and that is what he described to me. Either fit his 2005. 47050 has two pieces of reinforcement that slide into the gap between the headlight and frame and help hold the mask tight. No idea why they decided to call it a 2006 since nothing was changed on 47050 to allow for the lip what was not present before 2006. The only other thing my friend noticed is that 47050 is a very tight fit compared to his. No idea if this just something peculair to mine or if there is a subtle difference to the front of a 2006 in addition to the lip. I really had to pull on a couple of the hooked straps to get them to the proper anchor point. Hopefully they will stretch out a little bit...

14. Actual Mileage

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PA @ Nov 2 2006, 05:17 PM) [snapback]342856[/snapback]</div>
    Oh.