1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is there anything wrong with loving stick-shifts?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Isaac Zachary, Aug 26, 2022.

1. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    fuzzy1 likes this.
  2. dbstoo

dbstoo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    Thanks for that. I found the relevant section, and it only applies to multi speed transmissions. It could be argued that the Prius has a CVT, I.E. one speed. Here's the quote from the standard:

S3.1.2 Transmission braking effect. In
    vehicles having more than one forward
    transmission gear ratio, one forward
    drive position shall provide a greater
    degree of engine braking than the high-
    est speed transmission ratio at vehicle
    speeds below 40 kilometers per hour.

3. JimboPalmer

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    In your opinion, does having variable ratios not qualify? A Prius does not have multiple fixed ratios, but it has continuously variable ratios between the internal combustion engine and the wheels.

fuzzy1 and Trollbait like this.
  4. Isaac Zachary

Isaac Zachary Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I also liked watching the SOC raise as we would go down passes in the Leaf. Compared to a manual it was it's own kind of fun, in the sense of making road trips more like a treasure hunt.

But I wouldn't say a manual transmission is all about engine braking. That's not the only fun. It's the complete control over something that is technologically simple. No computer deciding what to do and when. I personally would be appalled by an EV with a pseudo clutch pedal and pseudo shifter just to make it feel like a manual. That's not the point. The point is with a manual I become the transmission, I'm connected to the car, the car becomes an extension of my body like a fine tool in the hand of a craftsman.

ammdb, Trollbait and douglasjre like this.
  5. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Did you quote the wrong post? Your response below has no connection to my post that you quoted.
    The Prius eCVT has an infinite range of wheel:ICE gear ratios, literally zero to infinity (technically undefined because of the divide-by-zero issue, when the vehicle is moving while the ICE is stopped). It is clearly multi-ratio, not a single fixed ratio. It has many more ratios than any ordinary geared transmission, and a wider range of ratios than any purely mechanical CVT.

At one end of that ratio range, in D mode, the degree of engine braking is literally zero (ICE halted), or minimal (ICE at idle rpm, when higher speed protection of MG1 forces it to spin). B-mode provides the required "greater degree of engine braking".

6. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That is a big advantage of a plug-in. The non-plugin Prii batteries and regeneration and engine compression just aren't big and strong enough to avoid friction braking on those mountain descents.

I can't portray a true manual transmission as the best, but do dispute than a DCT carries "All the advantages of a manual transmission." It is missing some.

#66 fuzzy1, Aug 30, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2022
  7. Isaac Zachary

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I think I'm kind of weird though. Although I mentioned the GR Corolla or that I wouldn't mind driving a 2,000 HP super car, the fact is I would prefer an "underpowered" vehicle with a manual transmission. I would never go above the speed limit in any car and I don't like to take off like a maniac. I also take it easy around corners.

I think it has to do with my upbringing. I was the kid who had to work to pay for his own car, whereas lots of other fellow highschoolers and friends had rich parents that would buy them brand new trucks or sports cars. Speed and power never impressed me, because that's just a sign of a person's wallet. But could I go up muddy dirt roads in a little 4 banger I patched together myself and even pass the guys in their lifted pickups? Could I pass by the dudes that has slid off the icy or graveled roads in their sports cars? Yes, that was me, in my ol' clunker.

Low power means you have to know how to use the gears more. High power means you have to know how to use the gears if you're going to the track, but on the highway that would be asking for a ticket.

But looking at a non-manual car, then cars kind of all become the same, the difference being some are more practical or more economical than others. In other words, I don't feel like I can be made an enthusiast over any vehicle that doesn't have a manual transmission. Will my next car be a Prius Prime or a Chevy Bolt or a Tesla? I don't know. I just wished there were something interesting or fun in modern vehicles that stood out to me as much as a manual transmission does.

8. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Interesting.
    To me, a manual makes me feel less connected to the road.
    In an EV the response is instant. If I think, "go", the car goes. It doesn't have to 'gather' itself, or wait for gears to mesh (or worse, slip).
    The more clutches, gears, relays, etc you put between me and the motion of the car, the worse it feels.

Every sound, every bit of heat that I feel from an ICE is that much less that is going into propulsion. I'd rather not pay to make sound, nor excess heat.

I completely understand what you mean about performance. I typically am one of the slower end of average traffic speeds.
    However, when I am merging onto a freeway, or need to get out of the way of an impending accident headed my way, I very much appreciate the ability to accelerate quickly.

Isaac Zachary likes this.
  9. JimboPalmer

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Prior to the Prius, I have driven the smallest, manual station wagons available. I now drive the most frugal station wagon available. Not that much a change, really. I expect that my next vehicle will plug in. And resemble a station wagon as much as possible.

Zythryn likes this.
  10. Isaac Zachary

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I remember being excited about the reviews of the instant torque of the Leaf and was anxious to try it out but never really noticed it nor missed it when I sold the Leaf. Then again, the last manual I had was a non-turbo diesel, and so had instant torque as far as ICEs go, so maybe it wasn't enough of a difference to notice. A lot of being a good driver is about anticipation anyway. Other things, such as trying to use a touchscreen while driving, would seem to add more reaction delay than an intake plenum filling up with air when the throttle first opens.

Another thing that kind of bothers me about not having a manual is that now all the torque is available at my not-so-fine-movement appendage called my foot. In a manual you basically have two torque controls, the main one being in your hand, and the other at your foot. In top gear I know that I'm not going to whiplash anyone by putting my foot into it, whether on purpose or accidentally. If I need or want the torque I downshift, then upshift when I no longer need it. A manual seems to make finer torque control easier, even if the torque isn't instant. In an automatic or EV I got to be careful not to flinch if I sneeze or something, otherwise the car suddenly accelerates at full power. I get cramps in my leg as it is with the Avalon because every single piece of road requires my foot to press an exact amount of pressure and distance into the accelerator pedal until I get out of the mountains far enough that I can use the cruise control. The manual car I had before the Avalon and Leaf let the accelerator pedal act more or less as a nice big on-off momentary button when going around curves and over mountains. Not that placing my foot in an exact accelerator angle wasn't possible nor never needed, but in the manual car it was less needed.

I almost got a Prius v instead of the Avalon when we were looking for a car to replace the Leaf. But perhaps the main factor that led me to decide on the Avalon was it's inclusion of essentially 5 B-modes of various levels. This comes in handy for engine braking down long hills as I have more than just one engine braking level to choose from.

11. hkmb

hkmb Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    For many years, I wished Chinese taxis (mostly VW Santanas and Jettas) had one of those. The number of drivers who thought they were getting better economy by staying in a high gear as the engine chugged and strained....

Even worse were Taiwanese taxi drivers (mostly Mazda 323s and Ford Lasers) in the 1990s, after a rumour got round that you could save lots of fuel by not turning your lights on at night. I mean, yes, you don't burn much fuel after you've been killed by a truck when its driver couldn't see you, but still...

12. hkmb

hkmb Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I rented a Skoda Superb with DCT, and I've driven a few other VW Group cars with it.

As far as driving skills are concerned, yes, it's an automatic. In countries outside the US, you can get a restricted driving licence that allows you to drive automatics but not manuals, and you can drive a DCT on an auto licence. You drive it just the same as you'd drive an auto.

But it tends not to be as smooth as a traditional slushmatic, especially in heavy low-speed traffic. It can get a bit jerky.

The VAG DCTs are notorious in Australia for dying.

13. hkmb

hkmb Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Going back to the original question....

In Britain, most cars are still manual. I learned in a manual: if you pass your test in a manual, you can drive anything, but if you pass your test in an automatic, you are not licensed to drive a manual.

In Australia, most cars are automatic. But there's still that same distinction as in Britain with driving licences.

I like driving a manual on a country road or on a track: I like having that degree of control. But for everyday city driving (and I live in a big, congested city), a manual is a pain in the arse (specifically, the left bum-cheek and the left leg). An auto is a lot less effort.

I'm going to Italy in January for a week, and I'll be hiring a car for some of the trip. It costs a fair bit more to hire an auto, and many Italians will probably question whether I am a real man, but I will pay the extra and deal with the shame.

Much as the mountain passes I'll be driving through for some of the time would be fun in a manual, I'll be with the kids, so I should be careful. And I'll be driving through Rome and Naples: if I'm already dealing with Italian traffic and with driving on the wrong side of the road, having to deal with a manual as well when I've had an auto for the last 10 years or more will just be an added distraction and could make things a bit more dangerous. I hired a manual in Germany (so, wrong side of the road again) just before Covid, and that was fine, but the challenges of Italian driving just make it that bit more challenging, so I'll play it safe and hire an auto.

14. hkmb

hkmb Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Maybe American cars are different, but - with the exception of my Prius and some EVs (both of which have a B mode or similar) - all the auto cars I've driven allowed me to select a low gear so I can use engine braking going down steep hills.

15. ammdb

ammdb Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    So when did driving on the right side of the road turn into driving on the wrong side of the road? :)

hkmb likes this.
  16. hkmb

hkmb Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Right is wrong. I should think that would be clear to everyone.

17. hkmb

hkmb Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    They're not selling the MG5 in the US, are they? That would have been ideal, I suspect.

18. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ... and probably geared (and engine sized) for better efficiency than American manuals.

Alternate solution: change one's commute.
    We rented a car in Italy a bit less than a decade ago. Though already on my second Prius, we both regularly drove manuals too. So after noticing that automatics were running almost triple the cost of manuals at that time, our choice was obvious.

Automatics here have the same, generally with enough engine braking to do the job. As Jimbo pointed out, it is a federal requirement. Though not all drivers use them properly.
    Yes, right-hand drive is wrong, except for postal carriers.

But, why do the Brits and the French have to do so many things different, just to be different? It sometimes seems as if there is some international spite.

19. hkmb

hkmb Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes. My sister's car is a 1.0 litre six-speed manual, IIRC. My dad's previous car (he's got a DSC Tiguan now) was a six-speed manual 1.6 turbodiesel Passat.

Yes, although that would involve not living in a town I really like.

Yes, I agree. This is just such a combination of things - Italian traffic, wrong side of the road, lack of manual practice - that taking one thing off the list of challenges made sense.

I suppose having learned in a manual might make this more of an instinctive thing to do. I assume people don't get taught or tested on engine braking when learning?

That is a clever thing in America. We have normal (RHD) postal vans. It would make sense for them to be LHD. Having postal vans the "wrong" way round is a great idea.

I should have thought this was obvious. We do it differently because we are right. The French do it differently because they are wrong.

20. douglasjre

douglasjre Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Manual gated shifters are all about the nostalgia for me. The sequential cassette gearbox is where it's at for rapid shifting. The pizzazz connected to that shuts off the fuel supply during the shift and really makes it fast