1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is there anyway to Turn off the Screen Beep?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by TimeFor, Oct 26, 2004.

1. TimeFor

TimeFor New Member

Every time I press something the system beeps. :roll: I don't really like this. Is there any way to turn it off?

2. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I was about to ask this.. has any of the techies here figured this one out yet. it's kindof annoying when my date is sleeping in the car because of the nice smooth ride.. and i want to check my navigation.. music.. or consumption screen and i can't

3. roger

roger New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    the beep is cool. I'd never be without it it. It also confirms that a button has been successfully pushed on the screen.

4. karmavore

karmavore New Member

In other words, the geeks who might be able to help you with the beep sound won't give you a lick of advice, because you're so openly flaunting the fact you can get a date. :D

Nope. No help for you, even if your dates do fall asleep on the way to Arby's. :D

Brad

5. karmavore

karmavore New Member

OK, I've had my fun.

I was curious about this, too. Any ideas out there?

Brad

6. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
  7. roger

roger New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'd like to change the tone of them, and have the pitch go up slightly at the end. I also want to be able to change the volume of the ICE, if not be able to silence it completely.
    Lately I have found myself only driving on real smooth roads, because the sound of the tyres on the road really annoy me.
    :lol:

8. roger

roger New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    the last post was a way of saying "come on guys.. there is pedantic, and there is anal.. " - I dont even notice the beeps now. I just notice i press a button. your brain has a way of filtering out common sounds.

I do not know why, but this kinda bugs me. it's like, build a bridge...

9. betshsu

betshsu Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Umm... either I'm oblivious or the 2005s don't have this beep. I'll have to pay more attention when I drive home today.

10. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I dont' mind the beep. I do agree that it's nice to hear if a button worked. But i've been traveling between San Jose and San Francisco a lot lately. With someone in the car who's trying to catch up on sleep.. it just sucks for them.. by the way, where does the beep come from? it is through the system?

11. LungCookie

LungCookie New Member

The question wasn't "Does the beep bother you?". It's frustrating to see someone ask a question and instead of answers they just get a bunch of people telling them they shouldn't ask the question...

The beep is annoying to some people, myself included. Having a separate volume control for it (or even an alternate sound like a click) would be really nice but, as Tony pointed out, it doesn't look like there is currently anything like that.

12. aarons12

aarons12 New Member

i think it should be like our phones or our windows desktops, selectable ringtones/sound files. why not?

if i want to have darth vader say 'as you wish' every time i turn off the a/c, why shouldn't i?

13. lpleiss

lpleiss New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I can understand a need for a beep (or alternate sound) when I touch something on the touch screen. What bothers me is the beep everytime I switch between the Map and the Consumption screen. My concern is the same as the others, a sleeping person, namely my toddler, being awakened every time I want to check my MPG or location.

Sorry Roger if you don't agree with us, but it was just a simple question, (not a request for your opinion). Other beeps in the Prius can be turned off, which leads one to wonder why this one can't.

Luta

14. SecretSquirrel

SecretSquirrel New Member

Either I don't have a screen beep, or I have managed to tune them out. I just picked my '05 up two weeks ago, so maybe it's an '05 thing? I will have to check this out! But... if I truly don't have the beep - then there must be some way to disable it.

15. Kev1000000

Kev1000000 New Member

yea, i hate to do anything when my gf is asleep right next to me while driving. I dont want to wake her, but i do wanna see my current mpg average! :p

16. aarons12

aarons12 New Member

since there is a way to disable the backup beep, i think it's safe to say that a way EXISTS to disable these other beeps.

now, that doesn't mean it's gonna be shared with us here at priuschat... :D

17. betshsu

betshsu Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Okay, I am oblivious, because my 2005 does have the screen beep. Damn, now I wish I never read this post...

At least it doesn't seem to bother me when I'm sleeping :D.

18. Vernon

Vernon New Member

In a post under the audio/electronics section, TimeFor said that he added a subwoofer to the stereo which, unfortunately, amplified the beeps.

19. TimeFor

TimeFor New Member

Yes... The amplified beeps are my real problem. They are so loud. Some louder than others??? Like changing CDs is the loudest. That one hurts me ears. The rest are about 2 times louder than before.

However, this is no longer a problem for me. My car still beeps. Which I don’t like… But they are back to their normal volume.

I took my car to my Audio installer and showed them the problem. I was also getting a little static coming though the speakers when the radio was off. They installed some kind of Filter on the power line. They said the car has so many electrical frequencies that one of them must have been interfering with the amp. The Filter got rid of the static. Then they tuned some of the amps own filter settings and dimmed the beep back down to normal level. I did not have a lost of sound quality so I gave them the thumbs up on satisfaction. And the best part, They fixed it for free.

20. berkley

berkley Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    so the answer to "is there anyway to turn off the beep, when changing screen" in a 2005 Prius is___________ NO???????
    if anyone knows how, please send answer...thanks
    berkley