1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is There Interchangeability Between AF Ratio Sensors 89467-47010, 28090, 02040, 12030 & 52060 ?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by James Analytic, Mar 31, 2023.

1. James Analytic

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    What are the differences, other than the exterior design and is there interchangeability, between the AF Ratio Sensors 89467-47010, 28090, 02040, 12030 & 52060?

I see listings for a range of AF Ratio sensors like the Denso 234-9056, Delphi ES10933, etc. that appear to imply there is interchangeability for the 1.5L and 1.8L engines. I'm wondering in regards to the Toyota parts numbers since are Denso quality for my 2006.

I'm not certain of the sensor test specs out of circuit or a way to test out of circuit-manifold, though the heater resistance seems to test the same for the three I have and Denso 234-9056 a store let me test.

2. Elektroingenieur

Elektroingenieur Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    According to Toyota’s catalog data, 89467-47010 is the air/fuel ratio sensor (Bank 1 Sensor 1 oxygen sensor) for all second-generation Prius cars; it is used only on such cars and has no published interchange with other Toyota parts.

Of the other Toyota part numbers you mentioned: 89467-28090 is used on early Prius Plug-in and other models; 89467-02040 and its U.S. substitute, 89467-12030, are used on other model; and 89467-52060 is used on some third-generation Prius cars and other models. I don’t know how, if at all, these parts differ, however.
    The Repair Manual (more info) includes on- and off-vehicle inspection procedures. The latter gives standard resistances, measured at the sensor’s terminals:

1 (HT) to 2 (+B): 1.8 to 3.4 Ω at 20 °C (68 °F)
    2 (+B) to 4 (AF-): 10 kΩ or higher​

James Analytic likes this.
  3. James Analytic

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, that's about what I found and am still wondering how they differ since the specs seem the same for both. All parts appear to test the same and I need to confirm, though I think the bung threads and sensor threads are the same.

The Inspection document for the gen 3 notes for the sensor connector:
    (HT) - (AF-): 10 kΩ or higher

The gen 2 Diagnostics SFI document notes for the EFI M check (along with other Harness and ECM tests):
    (3K-1) to (3I-8): 10 kΩ or higher
    (3K-1) to (3I-8): Below 1Ω (when 12V applied to terminals 3I-6 and 3I-7)

Toyota Parts and Accessories - Official Online Store
    and other specific dealership sites searches can elaborate on the specific models the parts numbers are used for.

Leaves me thinking they can interchange possibly and wondering if not, why?

I found this video that I thought gave a good overview of the AF Ratio sensor info I found as well:

4. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    That's a pretty sparse set of "specs" in the manual, though. You're really just confirming that (1) the heater part of the sensor has roughly the right resistance (given a range that's nearly a factor of two), and (2) the heater part isn't shorted to the sensor part.

There could be any number of differences in the sensor response that wouldn't be apparent in those ohmmeter tests.

A troubleshooting procedure might not include tests that would show you the difference between the sensor for that car and some other sensor not for that car, because the writers have to make some assumptions and they're probably assuming the sensor that's there is the one for the car.

5. James Analytic

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I happened to see some Denso 234-9056 listings referencing use for the 1.8 and 1.5L engines, so went back to check if the 2013 engine in the yard still had and someone picked that newer design one. Happened to find a Toyota Denso 89467-28090 in a 2010 that came out easier than the one in the 2011, so figured I'd get since the cup isn't in the way on that design. Also found in a 2005 a Toyota Denso sensor that I figured for the price when I make the time to replace, I can try those three along with the one in the 2008 motor I got today that I still need to haul back. Prior I got a, not certain the make AF Ratio sensor, from a 2006 that looked like in great condition and was sad to see at the yard since most have rust on the body and underneath.

Anyways, that's a total of three gen 2 design sensors and one 2010 gen 3 sensor to test play with, where I can return three of them if they don't work out. $10 vs $100-$170 each was motivation.

6. James Analytic

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I finally took the time to more critically think about the above info I found after some more study, at least for a first go around at the info.

My observations are as follows where I'm guessing the gen 3 sensors are the "Planar" style and the gen 2 are the "Cup-Shaped" A/F specs as noted at this time in the above video:
    Screenshot_2023-04-04_22-00-54_AF_Ratio_Sensors.jpg

Seems the sweet spot would be the same from what I'm comprehending thus far, though the current range is far wider with the cup style A/F Ratio Sensor appears:
    Screenshot_2023-04-04_22-03-39_Amperage_AF_Ratio_Sensor.jpg

So, other than the admittance spec, I'm not certain how the current values are related in regards to resistance. I'm also wondering about the above "Planar Style" graphs of the sensor Voltage values at the wider range of currents or does that not matter and is more an internal device function in the Sensor portion of the A/F Ratio sensor where the output voltage is all that is of concern for the ECU? Assuming the sensors fit.

Update: Looks like the ECM does directly measure the current per this image. Ah, so now wondering if the ECM will correct fast enough to the ideal Stochiometric Zero Current point?
    Screenshot_2023-04-04_22-23-40_AF_Ratio_Planar.jpg

I probably should wait to post this and think about some more feasibility of using. Though nothing is coming to mind offhand I'm guessing from at least a gen 2 using a gen 3 A/F Ratio sensor where the % A/F Ratio won't cause a high or low current code is my thought.

#6 James Analytic, Apr 4, 2023
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2023